Labadee on German Newflash

Germancruiser

I know very well, that the subject is talked over and over here allready. So I was really surprised when a big german TV- Channel interviewed people of Labadee and asked them for their opinion wether cruise ships should stop in Labadee or refuse to make calls there. All of them said they wish and pray that the ships of RCI will continue to stop there. Exactly what I thought from the beginning. They were interviewed while the Solstice was docked in the background!

Michael

I know very well, that the subject is talked over and over here allready. So I was really surprised when a big german TV- Channel interviewed people of Labadee and asked them for their opinion wether cruise ships should stop in Labadee or refuse to make calls there. All of them said they wish and pray that the ships of RCI will continue to stop there. Exactly what I thought from the beginning. They were interviewed while the Solstice was docked in the background!

Michael

The passengers and the ships are their income. With some of the expanded tours that the cruise line has put into place it means work for more people and I am sure they do not want to have that go away.

We just got back from that cruise, and I can tell you they are definitely in favor of cruise ships docking. Besides the general boost to the economy, Solstice brought in pallets of food, water, medicine and clothing-- we were slightly delayed getting off to give crews time to unload cargo. I never thought I'd see one of those white United Nations trucks in person. There was an announcement that all proceeds from shore excursions (I took this to mean Celebrity's cut) went to Hatian earthquake relief. And they included a letter in with the newsletter requesting donations (you could put your donation on your Seapass card). Our stop (and three other RC stops before it) were with the full blessing of the Hatian government.

I understand MSNBC also did a piece on cruise ships coming to Labadee, with many MOS (man-on the-street) interviewees saying that it was insensitive for us to stop there. They did not know the whole story.

Last night I attended a meeting with a Director of Shelterbox USA. After I told him of my Solstice experience in Labadee he told us that one of the first calls to Shelerbox came from the President of RCL who offered ships to transport the boxes. He said if you want to take a cruise that RCL.

Archived