Ease of zodiac use

basedow

Could someone who has been on the PA2 and used the zodiacs please comment on the ease of using the zodiacs?

If one has a bit of fear of falling and some leg weakness, is this going a problem do you think?

Thank you for your ideas.

Hi Basedow, We havent been on PA2 yet, but are booked on the 12 August cruise. Before we went on a cruise to the Kimberleys on the Orion last year I was also a bit aprehensive about the Zodiacs. I have had a broken right ankle, fractured patella (knee) and then tore the ligaments in the same right knee and spent 9 months in total in a leg brace just 6 months before we went on the Kimberely cruise. I had NO problems with the zodiacs or the cruise in total. And we were doing 2 zodiac trips a day. The crew were excellent at getting the passengers in and out of the zodiacs. You never felt hurried, they held both your arms and pulled you onto the deck from the zodiac. This is what I am expecting from the PA 2 - I hope I am right.

Like you I await some response from past cruisers ...........

Ann

Thank you, Ann. Your knee injuries sounded severe but I'm heartened that you used a zodiac so soon after the trauma and surgery and found it was doable.

I should imagine then that SS would provide the same assistance as the other line.

Thank you for your response and continued good recovery!

We were on the PA II in July of 2009 and are going again March 2010. This ship ,crew and service exceeded all our expectations. You should be fine, crew are right there to help you in and out of Zodiacs and safety is of upmost importance to them.

Kris

I agree with the other posters - we were on PAII in December and didn't see anyong having problems. There are two folks stationed on the stairway who grab your arms and support you while you climb in or out of the Zodiac. As far as I saw, no one went swimming (though I went swimming on Deception Island, but that was intentional:D)!

Take your time for the first few landings, and make sure of your grip. After you get used to it there should be no problem.

I am a first class klutz and found the staff simply wonderful helping us in and out of the zodiacs. No one was ever rushed and no passengers were impatient. We had an elderly gent who used 2 walking sticks and he was practically at a few points. You are always within inches of help both on ship and on shore. Artic landings are a bit smoother than the ones in the Antartic. Pat

Archived