Sailing the Atlantic - Rough seas?

petrellad

I would like to get your opinion on whether ships sailing to Bermuda will encounter rough seas because it's the Atlantic. Do the ships rock more than sailing in the caribbean? Does it depend on the season?

Thank you.

I have been to Bermuda three or four times. Twice we hit waves and twice we didn't. I have been to the Caribbean four or five times. Once we hit 30 foot waves. Anything is possible. Most modern cruise ships really handle waves fairly well.

Late spring and early summer tend to be less rough to Bermuda but the sea can be anywhere from dead calm to victory at sea-ish...

We cruised Boston to Bermuda October '08. Caught the tail end of a hurricane. Boy, was that fun! I had stupidly booked the topmost, forwardmost cabin. Felt like being on the inside of a tin can that was being flung in a circle on a string, over and over. Anything not nailed down fell to the ground and shattered. My husband and I really enjoyed the thrill, but most people don't want that experience. Point is, it's the north Atlantic, we get waves, expect to deal with a little motion.

We cruised Boston to Bermuda October '08. Caught the tail end of a hurricane. Boy, was that fun! I had stupidly booked the topmost, forwardmost cabin. Felt like being on the inside of a tin can that was being flung in a circle on a string, over and over. Anything not nailed down fell to the ground and shattered. My husband and I really enjoyed the thrill, but most people don't want that experience. Point is, it's the north Atlantic, we get waves, expect to deal with a little motion.

Ugh....just reading this is making that bagel in my stomach from breakfast think about making an escape.

Worse seas for me: day 1.5 from NYC to Caribbean....twice-early May both times.....and Caribbean to Miami in early November (the worst)

• 3 weeks later...

I have taken cruises out of Boston and NYC in August in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009. All stopped in Bermuda except our 2008 cruise when we sailed to the Eastern Caribbean. The only time that we had rough seas was in 2005. This was our first sea day out of Boston to Bermuda. By mid-day the seas were calm. The trip back was great.

We have been lucky and have sailed in between hurricaines on a few occasions. We have had smooth seas and incredible weather on every cruise.

Glad to hear you had so many calm days. I am getting leary of everyone saying it is so rough to Bermuda or back.

NO Gingee, you are only concentrating on the times people said it was rough. On all of these threads about the seas, and you have posted on some of them, the majority of the people are saying that it is NOT always rough. Of course there is no way to tell how it will be on any given cruise but I'll say it AGAIN, in all our cruises to Bermuda (10) it was not rough half the time, a third of the time or even one quarter of the time. Even when it was rough, it was not sustained the whole time.

You are probably right about me concentrating on the wild seas. It doesn't bother me so much when I am awake as it does when it is dark and you can't see what is going on. I have even looked for other cruises but we have been to most of them or the time is not right.

...because I get motion sickness easily, I take Bonine on the first day of the cruise in the a.m. before I even get to the port. I take one a day for the first couple of days and have no problems. I've been to Bermuda several times on the Zenith and endured lots of bad weather. Bonine worked just fine!!! ~B~

...because I get motion sickness easily, I take Bonine on the first day of the cruise in the a.m. before I even get to the port. I take one a day for the first couple of days and have no problems. I've been to Bermuda several times on the Zenith and endured lots of bad weather. Bonine worked just fine!!! ~B~

We also use bonine when we cruise. Most of the time we do not need it after a few days but we also start taking it the morning of embarkation and discontinue depending on the seas and how we feel.

• 1 month later...

Hello-I am seriously thinking of booking a Boston to Bermuda cruise for 8/27 on the Norwegian Spirit. We have heard all kinds of stories and seen posts talking about rough seas and hurricanes. We are avid cruisers and have never had seas rough enough to even comment. Any in put would be greatly appreciated. Anyone going on this cruise?

Hello-I am seriously thinking of booking a Boston to Bermuda cruise for 8/27 on the Norwegian Spirit. We have heard all kinds of stories and seen posts talking about rough seas and hurricanes. We are avid cruisers and have never had seas rough enough to even comment. Any in put would be greatly appreciated. Anyone going on this cruise?

I don't mean to be flip, but I don't understand what else you are looking for besides what people have posted on this thread. :confused:

the waves are weather dependent. No one knows what the weather in August will be like. late August is part of the Hurricane season. If its going to be really bad the ship won't go there....but worrying about it doesn't make it better or worse.

Archived