Considerations Before Switching to ES

keishashadow

After reading all the great savings many have reported booking ES (and now that the Destiny is getting fixed:D), im mulling over switching current ressie to ES. I booked PG rate thru PVP (no military was available) for July sailing. I did receive promo for 2 category upgrade.

via a search, i compiled the following info from a thread last summer :

If any of the following have 'advertised' price drops below booked Early Saver Rate, the price drop applies to:

Military

Past Guest

55+

Resident

My questions are:

1) is above info still valid?

2) would our PG 2 cat upgrade promo present a problem?

3) I did purchase cancel for any reason TI (coverage = 80% of total costs)...anybody know if it would cover the nonrefundable DP if we do cancel & decide not to pay the $50 fee & rebook?:confused:

4) If/when are Sr Rates typically released (DH will just make the cut;))

TIA

Your 2 cat upgrade presents no problem because of course you lose it. You have to pick the exact cabin you want and will pay the going ES rate.

No name changes, so if you are sure one person wouldnt back out you need to replace, not a problem.

If another date drops and you want to switch, now it will cost you money before final payment .. but since you are close to final payment, this shouldnt be a consideration.

Id do it, just for peace of mind knowing you can price match.

If there is a senior rate for the exact category you book, then yes you can price match, but so far it hasnt worked for me. For instance if you book a 4A and the senior rate doesnt show a 4A only a IS guarantee, you are out of luck... my categorys have been selling out by the time senior rates kicked in.

After reading all the great savings many have reported booking ES (and now that the Destiny is getting fixed:D), im mulling over switching current ressie to ES. I booked PG rate thru PVP (no military was available) for July sailing. I did receive promo for 2 category upgrade.

via a search, i compiled the following info from a thread last summer :

If any of the following have 'advertised' price drops below booked Early Saver Rate, the price drop applies to:

Military

Past Guest

55+

Resident

My questions are:

1) is above info still valid?

2) would our PG 2 cat upgrade promo present a problem?

3) I did purchase cancel for any reason TI (coverage = 80% of total costs)...anybody know if it would cover the nonrefundable DP if we do cancel & decide not to pay the $50 fee & rebook?:confused:

4) If/when are Sr Rates typically released (DH will just make the cut;))

TIA

You can only switch while the ES rate is still being offered (goes away 3 months before sailaway for shorter cruises, 5 months before sailaway for longer cruises).

Once you are booked Early Saver, if any Carnival-advertised Promo rate that you're eligible for drops below your current ES rate, you get the price drop. You have to be a Past Guest to get Past Guest Rate drop, you have to be 55+ to get the 55+ Senior Rate Drop, Residency Rate for your state has to drop to get the Residency Rate Drop, and you have to be Military Eligible to get the Military Rate Drop.

You're switching from a Past guest Rate that included a 2 Category upgrade. I'm suspecting they'll make you switch to the ES Rate for the Category you ended-up in (not the 2 Category lower) - you might have an issue there, you might have to be persistent, and you might lose.

I interpret the Cancel for Any Reason to cover any pre-paid fee (your non-refundable deposit) that Carnival does not reimburse you. Some might say that the insurance would refuse you because you have the option to re-book, but since you are Cancelling I feel you meet the terms of the insurance and are covered.

Seems to me that Past Guest Rates are maybe 3-6 months out and Residency and 55+ are closer to sailaway, but it really varies based on how well the Cruise is selling.

Keep us posted on #2 ??????

ken

You're switching from a Past guest Rate that included a 2 Category upgrade. I'm suspecting they'll make you switch to the ES Rate for the Category you ended-up in (not the 2 Category lower) - you might have an issue there, you might have to be persistent, and you might lose. ken

As I posted above you ... I am 100% sure they pay for the exact category they book, which will not include the 2 category upgrade which they will lose. ES rates never ever include free upgrades.

thanks for the quick replies! This is a 5 day sailing, so i believe it would fall under the 3 month proviso

i'll price it out for both cat i booked & the upgrade one under ES before committing

im not sure whether to switch now or wait until after the Destiny dry dock jik something goes awry (worrier in me thought of worst/very remote case being they can't fix the issues that have plagued her lately?).

While i did read the thread that explained what Carnival is doing for those who booked during the emergency drydock, im not quite sure how they'd go about handling the ES rates sailings that were booked 'long term' thru end of current sailing calendar.:confused:I'd rather flip the TI i paid over to another cruise rather than redeem it if the ship is out of commission, as im stuck with that week for vacation.

Maybe it would be clearer to explain that the 2 category upgrade was part of the promo for the rate you booked that you are giving up, thats why it would not transfer. You are changing to a different rate, and giving the old one up. You cant keep part of the promo from one rate and then switch to another one. In fact if you changed to another cabin, say you upgraded later on, you just had to have that aft wrap ... you would lose the free upgrade even if you changed as a past guest rate and it wasnt being offered when you changed cabins. The free upgrade is only if you keep the exact deal you booked under.

Edit..... better way to put this .. you cannot combine rates. People would love to take the perks with one rate and combine them with another rate if this was allowed. You have to choose one rate or another, cant combine. One code is allowed per booking at a time. i.e. you cant book senior and past guest together and combine perks.

Maybe it would be clearer to explain that the 2 category upgrade was part of the promo for the rate you booked that you are giving up, thats why it would not transfer. You are changing to a different rate, and giving the old one up. You cant keep part of the promo from one rate and then switch to another one. In fact if you changed to another cabin, say you upgraded later on, you just had to have that aft wrap ... you would lose the free upgrade even if you changed as a past guest rate and it wasnt being offered when you changed cabins. The free upgrade is only if you keep the exact deal you booked under.

Edit..... better way to put this .. you cannot combine rates. People would love to take the perks with one rate and combine them with another rate if this was allowed. You have to choose one rate or another, cant combine. One code is allowed per booking at a time. i.e. you cant book senior and past guest together and combine perks.

Fire -- If (for example) the OP booked a 4A at Past Guest Rate and got a 4C, I'm thinking she would be switching to the current ES Rate for a 4C (which is different/ higher than the ES rate for the booked 4A)????

keisha - let us know how this works out???

ken

im clear on no double dipping the upgrade difference was in area $20 for 3 of us as i recall lol. I'd def rather take my chances on the ES since i know i won't be out looking for the next best thing (as airfare is booked already;)).

i'll def report back after talking to PVP

Archived