Upgrading to Business Class on Airtran

nosykev11

I've got a quick question about upgrading to Business Class on an Airtran flight for my honeymoon cruise. My future wife is very adamant that we have to fly business class on our flight from Atlanta to Seattle. Unfortunately, if we buy business class upfront, it would cost us $2500 for two roundtrip tickets vs. $666 for coach. I know that you can upgrade when you check in 24-hours before the flight for $99 per ticket. Has anyone done this for a long flight? Am I going to be able to get the upgrades at the 24-hour mark or are they all going to be gone by then?

I've got a quick question about upgrading to Business Class on an Airtran flight for my honeymoon cruise. My future wife is very adamant that we have to fly business class on our flight from Atlanta to Seattle. Unfortunately, if we buy business class upfront, it would cost us $2500 for two roundtrip tickets vs. $666 for coach. I know that you can upgrade when you check in 24-hours before the flight for $99 per ticket. Has anyone done this for a long flight? Am I going to be able to get the upgrades at the 24-hour mark or are they all going to be gone by then?

No one could possibly tell you if there will be any upgrades available on your flight. You are just going to have to wait and see.

Also note that these upgrades are not usually available for discounted fares. You must have purchased a full coach fare (Y class). It appears there is currently a special promotion that will allow you to upgrade from any fare. AirTran has no information as to how long this promotion will last. This is on a first come, first served basis, and must be requested from the gate agent, or by using the kiosk at the airport.

We have upgraded on airtran most of the time, from the cheapest fare. (No, you don't need to pay the higher rates for coach to upgrade for a small price) including from CMH to Fort Myers last week. Step one: When you sign on online, exactly 24 hours before the flight, you will be able to choose seat assignments. Choose something upfront, if available, and you will be shown the additional charge you must pay. If no seats are available upfront, don't despair. Try for the exit row seats as a backup, then check with the agent at checkin, to see if business class seats are available. We don't always upgrade, but usually we could. If all efforts fail, and you have a 717 plane, the two-seats on the port side are OK.

You won't know until that day. Don't forget to bring head phones for the satelite radio.

We have upgraded on airtran most of the time, from the cheapest fare. (No, you don't need to pay the higher rates for coach to upgrade for a small price) including from CMH to Fort Myers last week. Step one: When you sign on online, exactly 24 hours before the flight, you will be able to choose seat assignments. Choose something upfront, if available, and you will be shown the additional charge you must pay. If no seats are available upfront, don't despair. Try for the exit row seats as a backup, then check with the agent at checkin, to see if business class seats are available. We don't always upgrade, but usually we could. If all efforts fail, and you have a 717 plane, the two-seats on the port side are OK.

Thank you very much. I kind of relaxed her and told her we probably won't be able to get the business class. I'm going to book the tickets for the exit rows for right now (you can book seats ahead of time now), and hope that I'm pleasantly surprised the night before the flight.

Thanks for your help.

Archived