comedians on the Crown

Jo and Rob

Could someone let us know whether the comedians on the Crown are more targetted to an American audience with "in" jokes or whether it is more of an international humour. We like observational humour, does anyone come to mind in terms of a recommendation?

I'm American so my observations are somewhat biased, but I'd say the references are not exclusively geared toward Americans.

One guy I remember last year had a great line. He was going on how one of the cocktail waitresses was really chasing him and wouldn't leave him alone. He said, "I was in my room last night and she was beating on my door for a couple of hours, just screaming her head off.....so I finally let her out." He was a ventriloquist and was pretty funny.

I typically like all of the comedians and I don't find that they are too specific to Americans. One joke that I have heard EVERY one of the comedians say in one form or another is about how strong the full is on the toliets... They are all predicatable with this joke!!!

You'll enjoy them, but if you are easily offended there is usually a late night show that could be a tad risque...

I would say that a lot of the comedy is geared towards the American market. When were on Crown recently there were three comedians, two we didn`t find funny at all, but the American audience did. The third we found very funny.

On the Star we had two American comedians who stayed pretty much generic with a few US entrenched snipes, a Canadian who focused brilliantly on the Canadian sense of humour (yes we have one!) for the 500 Canadians on board which got a few of the US passengers up in arms, an a British comedian who must have been brought back from Butlins (as well as the dead) who I missed because I feel asleep after his first joke and woke up as he finished.

Most of the comedy is observational humor, or jokes about ship life. It should appeal to almost everyone, really. On our last cruise, we had a British "entertainer" (I use the word lightly here) who relied heavily on British humor and celebrities. At least half the audience was entertained!

In my experience the humor is geared toward the "cruise" nationality. Their material points to things that go on during the cruise, maybe a tad aimed at the american market.

Absolutely correct. We just got off the Crown Jan. 30th. And, there was no late comedy show at all, so no worry as to risque. When our family were on the Sea last summer they didn't understand those comics since their material was British oriented.

I'll be honest, I really don't care for stand up comedy. I am not a sour person and really love alot of laughs but I find it hard to laugh at alot of the stuff they present.

That being said, if you ever come across a comedian named "Sarge".. don't miss him. I forget which of our last Princess cruises he was on (we have been on 5 in the past two years) but he was fantastic... his presentation..his content was fantastic..he was an entertainer.

But what was most memorable was, and he admitted this upfront, was he never had any formal musical training, including piano. Yet, towards the end of his performance, he asked the audience to name their 25 favorite songs.. and, not having written down a single thing, played them in order on the piano all from memory and perfectly.

Has anyone else here seen him?? I think he was from Chicago...

We have always enjoyed the comedians on our cruises, most recently Steve Moris and Carlos Oscar. However, a nice thing about a cruise is that you can check out all these different entertainment options and if you don't like a particular entertainer or show, you can leave and go find something else to do on the ship! We really enjoyed the illusionist Alexander on the Sapphire and that isn't something I would normally seek out to go see locally. Try a variety of the entertainment; it's all included so no loss if it's not to your liking.

we found Sarge to be very funny! We first him on the Crown in July 2006? and then again on the CP August 2008.

Sarge hasn't been on a ship in quite some time. We saw him in 2008 and 2009, but it was at a local theater. What amazed me is that his material in show number two was totally different than in show number one.

If you are ever on a ship that features Marty Allen and his lovely wife - DO NOT MISS HIM!! He is 86+ years old and if you are old enought to remember "HELLO DERE" from his old TV series you will love him - old stuff but cleanb stuff and funny stuff. One of the best stand up comedians I have ever seen on a Princess cruise!!

if you ever come across a comedian named "Sarge".. don't miss him. I forget which of our last Princess cruises he was on (we have been on 5 in the past two years) but he was fantastic... his presentation..his content was fantastic..he was an entertainer.

I guess this just goes to further prove the OP's quandry... We saw Sarge on Sapphire in Nov.08 and being Brit's, didn't find him remotely amusing so we left after ten minutes.

I'll be honest, I really don't care for stand up comedy. I am not a sour person and really love alot of laughs but I find it hard to laugh at alot of the stuff they present.

That being said, if you ever come across a comedian named "Sarge".. don't miss him. I forget which of our last Princess cruises he was on (we have been on 5 in the past two years) but he was fantastic... his presentation..his content was fantastic..he was an entertainer.

But what was most memorable was, and he admitted this upfront, was he never had any formal musical training, including piano. Yet, towards the end of his performance, he asked the audience to name their 25 favorite songs.. and, not having written down a single thing, played them in order on the piano all from memory and perfectly.

Has anyone else here seen him?? I think he was from Chicago...

Sarge who is very very funny is originally from Great Neck, New York.

Could someone let us know whether the comedians on the Crown are more targetted to an American audience with "in" jokes or whether it is more of an international humour. We like observational humour, does anyone come to mind in terms of a recommendation?

Foster your eclectic side and drop the resistance to American humor.

I enjoy the comics on BBCAmerica, and I'm a born and bred U.S. citizen. :p

In fact, one of the funniest men I ever encountered was an Engish assistant cruise director. Don't remember his name, darn it.

Archived