Third person in cabin

bob c

:) I had booked a cruise for myself and my wife, then about a month before the cruise we tried to get a different cabin as a third person wanted to go with us. I was told the ship was full and we could not get a cabin for three people. Our cabin did have a couch that opened up into a bed and my wife wondered why we couldn't have used that. I told my wife I didn't think they allowed that even if you paid the extra money. Was I right?

:) I had booked a cruise for myself and my wife, then about a month before the cruise we tried to get a different cabin as a third person wanted to go with us. I was told the ship was full and we could not get a cabin for three people. Our cabin did have a couch that opened up into a bed and my wife wondered why we couldn't have used that. I told my wife I didn't think they allowed that even if you paid the extra money. Was I right?
If you had a convertible sofa, you should have been able to have three people in it. What was the ship and cabin number?

Each section of the ship is assigned certain lifeboats. Once that area has reached maximum lifeboat capacity, even though there may be empty berths, they will not add passengers. Coast Guard regulations. EM
But if the cabin is rated for 3 (or 4), then that should already be figured into the lifeboat assignments. That's why I asked what ship and cabin.

But if the cabin is rated for 3 (or 4), then that should already be figured into the lifeboat assignments. That's why I asked what ship and cabin.

I think Essiesmom is correct. Yes it is "possible" you were in a cabin that "could" hold three, most cabins "can hold a third person", and had you added the third person before the max was reached you would have been ok, but once the max was reached you can't add any more.

I think Essiesmom is correct. Yes it is "possible" you were in a cabin that "could" hold three, most cabins "can hold a third person", and had you added the third person before the max was reached you would have been ok, but once the max was reached you can't add any more.

If a cabin is for 3 persons or even for 4 how is it logical that the ship has

reached its maxium no of passengers,can you provide a link where it states

this? Very curious indeed.:confused:

Over the years there have been a number of posters who have reported being denied adding additional passengers to their cabins for the exact reason Essiesmom and Hflors stated. This is FAR from the first time I've heard this reason.

By having more cabins with additional berths it gives us (and HAL) flexibility in selecting cabins. Otherwise, they would have to deny someone booking a cabin for less passengers than there are berths for - as they would want to hold out for the maximum number of passengers booking. Doing things this way is FAR better IMHO.

I just looked for a link, but was unable to find one quickly. My guess is that lifeboat numbers probably far exceed ship capacity since in a real emergency some lifeboats may not be usable. I'm sure that lifeboats come into the equation. However number of potential beds on any given ship may exceed a ship's capacity for a lot of reasons not the least of which may be staffing and dinning. At some point the cruise line has probably set a maximum number of passengers it can service without adding staff.

Older ships may also have a greater bed capacity than is now allowed by the IMO for the number of lifeboats. These regulations change regularly.

On our last cruise (on the Westerdam, if you like specifics), I went to the "Good Morning Westerdam" program that featured an interview with Capt. Harris. Someone asked him how many people were on the ship because it felt crowded. I don't recall the specific numbers, but Capt. Harris said the ship was carrying either 2,006 or 2,008 passengers. He mentioned that the ship could possibly carry 2,300 or so passengers if there were a body in each bunk (e.g., pull-outs, etc.), but that the most they've ever carried is somewhere around 2,100. He didn't mention why they wouldn't ever sail at that peak capacity.

My guess is that lifeboat numbers probably far exceed ship capacity since in a real emergency some lifeboats may not be usable.

He mentioned that the ship could possibly carry 2,300 or so passengers if there were a body in each bunk ...
Well, there's 16 lifeboats on Vista ships, and I believe they're rated at 150 passengers each. If that's correct, that means the lifeboats could handle 2,400 if all boats were launched absolutely full.

Archived