White caps and Kite surfers farewell Pacific Sun

Megawat

"First cruise: 1960, as a 8 year old lad on the Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt (JVO), Sydney to Wellington and return".

I stare at a picture of every day (postcard issued by the ship for passengers to write to relatives), along with the Anna Saleen (migration from Europe to Aust in 1954), Rhapsody of the Seas and Dawn Princess.

Slightly different experience these days ... we did board the Johann, also back in the 60's from memory when the granparents did a world voyage ..... very stately and impressive to a young lad.

"First cruise: 1960, as a 8 year old lad on the Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt (JVO), Sydney to Wellington and return".

I stare at a picture of every day (postcard issued by the ship for passengers to write to relatives), along with the Anna Saleen (migration from Europe to Aust in 1954), Rhapsody of the Seas and Dawn Princess.

Slightly different experience these days ... we did board the Johann, also back in the 60's from memory when the granparents did a world voyage ..... very stately and impressive to a young lad.

Yes it was very impressive for a me and I remember it well. I was very sad when I heard of it's demise in the Med by fire in 1963, I think.

Oh and no disrespect to Geraldton, it's a nice to to visit if you haven't been there before.

And Aussie57, there is a reasonable size harbour in Geraldton, but it is generally full of bulk carriers, so maybe they got lucky and hopefully you guys will to.

Cheers

Richard

WE were on a recent cruise and yes it was tendering at Geraldton, people will be pleased if it is going to always go into Port? I wonder why?

I think it's because it's a fairly major cargo port with a lot of bulk carriers etc,think it's the iron that's mined lower than the Pilbara, like Eneaba.

Archived