Portofino or Chops?

I want to make reservations for one of the specialty restaurants on board the Liberty...but I don't know which to chose? Which restaurant do you like better and why? We like all kinds of food (especially good food!). If you were to pick one, which one would you pick?

Both!!

We did both on our recent Freedom cruise, both meals were phenomenal, but this time Chops had the edge in terms of food and service. The filet in Chops was wonderful, but the one at Portofino was excellent as well.

DH votes for Chops, because the mashed potatoes were served family style and there were more than the "dollop" you get at Portofino!!

I want to make reservations for one of the specialty restaurants on board the Liberty...but I don't know which to chose? Which restaurant do you like better and why? We like all kinds of food (especially good food!). If you were to pick one, which one would you pick?

Honestly I would go to both! They are both great and you should treat yourself while on vacation. You won't be disappointed.

Easy answer - both.

If I had to pick one, would definitely opt for Portofinos (unless not sailing with a spouse/significant other). Portofinos is more romantic and has a more varied menu - still has a great steak option, but so much more as well. I also love the pre-appetizer plate they bring out with a roasted garlic and various spreads for your bread.

Both venues are a big step up from the main dining room, so if you are able to scrape up the $$$ to try out both, it is worth it. Eating in the specialty restaurants is generally one of the highlights of my cruise.

Agree, if you can do both you won't be disappointed.

I was on the Mariner in Sept to Mexico and tried both. Although both were excellent, I preferred Portofino's the most. The appetizers are absolutely amazing (I had a tomato and mozzarella salad I still crave to this day) and the Halibut dish I had was truly some of the best fish I've ever tasted. But you can't go wrong with Chops, I had the filet and it was tender, juicy and perfectly cooked (medium rare for me). Just depends on you cuisines preference if you choose one (Italian vs Steakhouse).

I rebooked the Mariner for April 25, 2005 (taking my mom this time) and I made reservations for both again. I can't wait to try the tomato/mozzarella salad again!

Enjoy!

Just realize that the italian food served in Portofino is not the Americanized heavy northern italian food.

On person wrote a review and mentioned how unhappy she was when she looked at the menu in Portofino. She was looking for what she described as traditional italian food such as Lasagna and stuffed shells. LMAO

Haha how did I know that everyone would tell me to do both :-) The reason I want to only pick one is because this is our first cruise and we want to experience the MDR (both formal and nonformal nights) and try out the Buffet, too. Kinda want an all around experience for the first time, but definitely want to hit one of the specialty restaurants. Our TA raved about Chops but I see so many people love Portofinos too. We like steakhouses and authentic Italian!

I too would say both but, if I had to choose, it would be Chops. My husband and I have often thought we should just go there every night of the cruise. If you are not a big meat eater you may be better off with Portofino. The beef at Chops is outstanding but I love the tiramisu at Portofino! Either way you will be thrilled! Enjoy!

If I had to choose, I would choose Portofino. I honestly thought the filet I got at Portofino was substantially better than the steak [don't recall what cut] I had at Chops. We enjoyed the meal at Chops and the service was outstanding, but I liked Portofino better. Recognize that the menu's change, but the dessert menu at Chops the night we were there was so weak [2 or three options, none appealing] that we seriously considered going to the MDR [we had an early reservation at Chops] at our regular time for dessert. The all around experience at Portofino was much better in my opinion.

I would have to agree and say BOTH!! But with that being said... my DH and I both LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Portofino's. In fact our next cruise we will be visiting Chop's once and Portofino's twice. Too many good items on Portofino's menu to choose from have to go back twice!!! :p

No matter what you decide to go with, you won't be disappointed. Enjoy!!!

You can't go wrong with either venue. I prefer Chops, sailed the Liberty last week, ate in Chops five nights, Portifinos once.

If you choose Chops make sure you ask for Djuhaeni and her assistant Marina. They do an outstanding job and will help make your evening very special.

Make sure you order several appetizers.The shrimp cocktail and onion soup our several of my favorites. If you enjoy Caesar salads, Chops dressing is fantastic!

With the exception of the baked potato (it's huge) all vegtables that the table orders are served family style for all to enjoy.

They offer all the different cuts of beef, the 10 ounce filet is truly " The best steak on The High Seas". You will also be given a option of selecting from four sauces to compliment your meat selection.

If after eating the large portions you are given you can still find room for dessert, the Mud Pie is in a league of it's own with the cheese cake a close second.

Enjoy

Oh boy! So many good votes for both on the Liberty that I'm hungry already! I even looked at the menus and that didn't help either. Lol I guess it's good to hear we will get an amazing meal no matter which we choose! But after scanning the boards here, it really does look like a 50/50 split. Thanks for your opinions! I'm excited already :-)

Just made online reservations for both restaurants for our sailing at the end of April. Slick online system for scheduling those things, although I was surprised that you had to pre-pay. I'm assuming, should you cancel prior to your final payment date that you would get all that money back as well (and don't forsee cancelling, but was still surprised you had to pre-pay for the meal)

Archived