Rome First Timer, A Good Order for One day?

cruisinval

I love these boards! So much GREAT info! Thank you awesome posters :)We'll be in Rome pre-cruise on July 2nd, having one full day in the city. Our hotel is next to the Coloseum. We are doing a 9 to 12 tour of the Vatican that morning. After that we want to head back over by our hotel and do a walking tour of the Coleseum, Palatine Hill, Spanish steps, Trevi Fountain and any other sites anyone may suggest! What is the best order to do the afternoon sites? Thanks!

I love these boards! So much GREAT info! Thank you awesome posters :)We'll be in Rome pre-cruise on July 2nd, having one full day in the city. Our hotel is next to the Coloseum. We are doing a 9 to 12 tour of the Vatican that morning. After that we want to head back over by our hotel and do a walking tour of the Coleseum, Palatine Hill, Spanish steps, Trevi Fountain and any other sites anyone may suggest! What is the best order to do the afternoon sites? Thanks!

I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice but I'll start it off. First, are you sure those are your priority sights and are you sure you can only spare one day? For me, personally, I would spend extra time at St. Peter's Basilica, definitely skip Spanish Steps and possibly Palatine Hill as well. I would also add that I think you have a very ambitious list of items, particularly considering the crowds and heat of July.

Having said all that you asked for a recommended order of sites so here goes:

Coliseum and Palatine Hill should be together after lunch. Then Trevi Fountain (and Spanish Steps) could be done after dinner; you could even plan dinner in the area and enjoy a lovely evening walk around Rome. I believe there's a gelato shop just beside Trevi Fountain (don't remember if its good or not) and you could then take a stroll to the Pantheon and soak in the atmosphere.

Hope that helps and enjoy yourself - you're going to have a fabulous time!

I think it would be too ambitious for me but then I'd do each(Vatican/forum,palatine hill etc) on a different day.

Definitely leave the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain til night . You will see other fountains along the way in other square and the steps are just steps sooo not a big deal to miss.

I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into your plans, but being that it's July, it's going to be blazing HOT in Rome, and the Vatican museum is so much less crowded after lunch.....

Is there any way you'd consider changing your plans? Since you're staying near the Colosseum, why not see that area (Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill) first thing in the morning, while it's still relatively cool, and plan to be at the Vatican around 1pm? Just for the record, I'd recommend the Roman Forum over Palatine Hill if it's your first visit, as unless you know a LOT about the evolution of imperial Rome (or are taking a second tour), you'll have a hard time deciphering what you're seeing.

As the post above says, you can see Trevi Fountain and the Spanish steps in the evening (probably the best time) and make sure to make time to see the Pantheon too.

Can you get more days in Rome? Don't forget you might be exhausted from the flight. It's also the busy season, so the crowds will be huge.

We had 3 nights in Rome after our cruise in December and it just wasn't enough. I want to go back this year for over a week.

We'll be in Rome pre-cruise on July 2nd, having one full day in the city. Our hotel is next to the Coloseum. We are doing a 9 to 12 tour of the Vatican that morning. After that we want to head back over by our hotel and do a walking tour of the Coleseum, Palatine Hill, Spanish steps, Trevi Fountain and any other sites anyone may suggest! What is the best order to do the afternoon sites? Thanks!

Okay, I'm assuming you are arriving in Rome on July 1, in order to have a full day available on the 2nd. I'm also assuming you are coming from North America (just going with the odds here). If both of these things are true, you should be in Rome and checked into your hotel by early afternoon on the 1st. Do you have a plan for that afternoon/evening? You could rest in the heat of the afternoon to overcome jet lag, then head out to see the Spanish Steps and Trevi fountain before dinner.

Cynthia is on the money about the heat and crowds in July. I was in Rome this past July and it was beastly. I've been to Rome in almost every month of the year, but this was a first for July and it was ugly. You will find yourself moving slower and running out of energy quicker than you imagine.

The Vatican museums in the morning probably work best for the tour guide, they get in before the general public. A three hour tour (shades of Gilligan!) will barely cover the highlights of the museums (Raphael Rooms, Sistine Chapel, etc.) and maybe a quick run through the basilica. I would plan on spending another hour in the basilica after the tour ends, first because there is so much to see there, and second, because it's one of the coolest (temperature) places in Rome.

While on that side of town, I'd have lunch there, then see Castel Sant' Angelo. It's a nice walk, not long but interesting, from Castel Sant' Angelo to Piazza Navona, and from there not far to the Pantheon. Moving at as brisk a pace as is possible in July, I'd guess that at this point it would be about 4 PM (basilica San Pietro until 1 PM, lunch until 2 PM, Castel Sant' Angelo until 3 PM, Navona and Pantheon until 4 PM).

If you arrive at the Colosseum by 5 PM, you'll still have plenty of light, but day trip tourists will mostly be gone so the crowds will have dissipated. You can tour the Colosseum and Forum, then head to your hotel to clean up for dinner (which isn't served in Rome, in the summer, before 8 PM).

It's a long day, but it does cram a lot in.

Okay, I'm assuming you are arriving in Rome on July 1, in order to have a full day available on the 2nd. I'm also assuming you are coming from North America (just going with the odds here). If both of these things are true, you should be in Rome and checked into your hotel by early afternoon on the 1st. Do you have a plan for that afternoon/evening? You could rest in the heat of the afternoon to overcome jet lag, then head out to see the Spanish Steps and Trevi fountain before dinner.

Cynthia is on the money about the heat and crowds in July. I was in Rome this past July and it was beastly. I've been to Rome in almost every month of the year, but this was a first for July and it was ugly. You will find yourself moving slower and running out of energy quicker than you imagine.

The Vatican museums in the morning probably work best for the tour guide, they get in before the general public. A three hour tour (shades of Gilligan!) will barely cover the highlights of the museums (Raphael Rooms, Sistine Chapel, etc.) and maybe a quick run through the basilica. I would plan on spending another hour in the basilica after the tour ends, first because there is so much to see there, and second, because it's one of the coolest (temperature) places in Rome.

While on that side of town, I'd have lunch there, then see Castel Sant' Angelo. It's a nice walk, not long but interesting, from Castel Sant' Angelo to Piazza Navona, and from there not far to the Pantheon. Moving at as brisk a pace as is possible in July, I'd guess that at this point it would be about 4 PM (basilica San Pietro until 1 PM, lunch until 2 PM, Castel Sant' Angelo until 3 PM, Navona and Pantheon until 4 PM).

If you arrive at the Colosseum by 5 PM, you'll still have plenty of light, but day trip tourists will mostly be gone so the crowds will have dissipated. You can tour the Colosseum and Forum, then head to your hotel to clean up for dinner (which isn't served in Rome, in the summer, before 8 PM).

It's a long day, but it does cram a lot in.

This would also be a good plan.

And another thought -- you may also have some time in the morning before you have to get to the port. You might be able to fit something in -- for example, if you spend a lot of your full day at the Vatican, maybe you could do the Colosseum/Forum etc early in the morning before you depart, especially since your hotel is close (e.g., easy to get back to for departure).

And another thought -- you may also have some time in the morning before you have to get to the port. You might be able to fit something in -- for example, if you spend a lot of your full day at the Vatican, maybe you could do the Colosseum/Forum etc early in the morning before you depart, especially since your hotel is close (e.g., easy to get back to for departure).

Great idea - your ticket for the Colossum/Forum/Palatine Hill is good for two days, so you could see one part in the late afternoon/evening of one day, and the rest early the next morning, thereby missing the heat of the day twice!

You guys are so awesome!! Thanks so much! Wonderful ideas. Yes, we will have part of the day we arrive, the full day, and the morning of the cruise to work with. So, we will make use of that time as well.

Dont have much choice about the July trip, we have high schoolers, so have to make the most of it, but thanks for the reminder that its really HOT and crowded in July! We're thinking our kids energy will help keep us moving!

Thank you for including the approx. times as well, that was helpful. Can anyone recommend a lunch spot near the Vatican/Castel Sant' Angelo?

After the Pantheon, should we take a taxi to the Colesseum area?

Invaluable info- thank you!

Can I ask you about the ports the ship stops at as well??:D

There is a pizza place on Via della Grazie that I liked, I don't remember the name but it's a short street and the place is easy to find.

Here is a recent thread on eating at/near Catstel Sant' Angelo. There is a cafe in the Castel; personally, I found it overpriced (and there's not much selection), but if you're in a hurry it may work out best for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1053357&highlight=vatican+pizza

As for a taxi from the Pantheon to the Colosseum, well, I'd think about this a little differently.

First, buy your tickets for the Colossuem/Forum/Palatine on your arrival day, or on your way to the Vatican the next morning. Your 24 hours doesn't start until you first use them, so if you have them in hand you can avoid waiting on line when you are ready to go. Generally it is faster to buy them at the Palatine ticket office, which is located on Via di San Gregorio, just down the block from the Colosseum.

So, with the tickets in hand, I'd go through the Forum first, then exit the Forum right into the piazza outside the Colosseum.

So back to how to get there. I think Michaelangelo's cordonata, the steps up from Via Teatro Marcello (near Piazza Venezia) to Campidoglio are one of the most awe-inspiring in Rome. It was designed to make you feel humble as you approach the seat of government ... and it does. As you walk around the left side of the city hall building, you have the best view of the Roman Forum - it all stretches out before you. You then walk along Via dei Fori Imperialli to the entrance of the Forum, which is about half way between Campidoglio and the Colosseum. This walk is the worst of the entire day, because it's virtually unshaded, and loaded with tour groups. Fortunately, it doesn't take long.

Therefore, the question is how to get to Campidoglio from the Pantheon. Personally, I'd walk. It's kind of a straight shot, down Via Gesu (stick your head in Gesu if it's open, it's maybe the most ornate church in Rome, and that's saying something) and Via d'Aracoeli. It's only a half mile, and the buildings are so close together that you're in the shade almost the entire way.

A cab will certainly work, of course.

What I found to be very helpful was to buy an all day ticket for the Red "Hop On - Hop Off" double decker bus, it goes all over the City and stops at all the famous sites. Take the ride all around the city then get off on the stops you want to visit, then get back on the bus at the bus stop. It stops at the Vatican ( the Cistene Chapel is breath taking & awesome!), The coliseum, Trevi Fountain (short walk to this and I loved this place at night..beautiful!). You will fall in love with Rome, Was there a week and it was NOT long enough!!! I went in early November...great weather!

The original poster and I have almost identical itineraries... so I don't mind hopping onto (hijacking) this thread a bit, it will probably help us both.

What would you folks recommend is the BEST course of action considering we arrive out our hotel in Rome by about 1pm Friday (11:15am at airport) and have that afternoon, Saturday, and cruise departs from Civa on Sunday at 5pm. Keeping in mind, the HEAT of July, 4 adults, 2 kids (1 8yrs old 1 is 11).

Should we definately save Vatican for Saturday afternoon instead of morning (I thought mornings were less crowded at Vatican) because of the heat?

Are these the must see sites of Rome: Vatican, Roman Forum, Pantheon, Colosseum, and Trevi Fountain? How about the Galleria Borghese?

What time do you experts recommend us leave Termini for Civa Port? We are probably training it considering it will only cost $4.50 per adult vs. over 150Euro for all 6 to get a private car. We'll do private car/shuttle from FCO to Rome, and Civa port to FCO on departure day, but I think we'll cheap out on the Rome to Civa leg since we have time flexibility and our hotel is near Termini... any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

I second the itinerary first suggested by EuroCruiser except that I would visit the Colosseum the first day. The second day, do the Vatican as EuroCruiser suggests, Castel Sant'Angel (atop Hadrian's Tomb!) the cross the river to Piazza Navona. I would add time to stop and rest, TAKE WATER WITH YOU and refill at the many standing metal water fountains with running water on the streets (fontanellas: safe to drink). Also, if you pace yourself, stop at a cafe and people watch then arrive at the Pantheon before 6:00pm, and add a walk to the Trevi fountain in the evening to see it illuminated (though should be VERY crowded at all hours in July). Intensive, but doable.

Should we definately save Vatican for Saturday afternoon instead of morning (I thought mornings were less crowded at Vatican) because of the heat?

When you say "Vatican", do you mean the museums (which include the Sistine Chapel) or the basilica (St. Peter's), or both?

On a Saturday in July the museums will be crowded from opening until closing. You must pre-order tickets to avoid a line that will eat up a good chunk of your day: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Orari.html

To visit only the basilica, no tickets are required. There is generally a line to get through security, but there is no fee to enter.

If you want to cram it all in, my advice is to go to the basilica early in the morning (it opens at 7 AM), before you visit the museums. See the church, then head over to the museums as soon as they open (actually, a little before, because even with pre-purchased tickets there will be a small line). Be sure you don't get on the long line of folks waiting to buy tickets, however.

Are these the must see sites of Rome: Vatican, Roman Forum, Pantheon, Colosseum, and Trevi Fountain? How about the Galleria Borghese?

"Must see" is in the eye of the beholder, just like beauty. What's important to you? I love the Galleria Borghese, but unless you are heavily into art, I wouldn't put it on my "first trip, only have a day in Rome" list. On the other hand, what about Castel Sant' Angelo?

What time do you experts recommend us leave Termini for Civa Port?

What time does your cruise line begin checking folks in? Back into that, but add some pad time in case (unlikely, but it does happen) there's a problem with the train. Remember that there are two different types of train that make this trip, the Regionale which is, as you say, Euro 4,50, and the ES City non-stop which is Euro 12,50 in second class, or Euro 17,50 in first class.

It all sounds soooo wonderful!! Im getting so excited!

Euro-cruiser, YrManInRome, and others thank you for your fantastic ideas!! But, now I am confusing myself I think :confused:

I know we will go somewhere after we arrive, but not sure where...

I read somewhere that we could buy our tickets on-line for the Colesseum. So, does a ticket cover the Forum/Piazza/Colosseum?

But, they are not all in the same area, correct? Thats where I am confused.

Euro-cruiser: I love your list (and they way to get there) for after the Vatican: Campidoglio, Forum, and then Colosseum....

Its kind of overwhelming! I live in California--I think its like doing Disneyland, Universal Studios and Knotts Berry Farm all in one day!!!

Except this will not even compare!

Navigator07- I think were on the same cruise :)

You can buy the Colosseum tickets on line, but you'll pay for the convenience. It's so easy to do in person, and if you use the Palatine Hill ticket booth, it's also fast.

Let's chat about day one. Coming from California, you're looking at something like 15 - 20 hours just to get there, aren't you?

If you arrive in Rome mid-morning, it will be late morning by the time you get to your hotel, between passport control, luggage and transit. It will also be very, very hot.

If you are lucky, your rooms will be ready and you'll be able to check in, drop your stuff, and grab a shower. Trust me, you'll all want one by then. Some may also want a nap, which is not a bad idea, as long as it's really a nap and not so much sleep that you'll have a hard time sleeping later that night.

You've said that your hotel is near the Colossuem. If one, or all, of your group is too excited to rest, head out on day one and make purchasing your Colosseum tickets your first priority. The walk from the Colosseum and buying the ticket shouldn't take more than 15 minutes, total.

Depending on what time it is by this point, you might squeeze in a little sightseening, or it may be time for lunch. Given the state of airline food these days, I tend to be the first one at the restaurant on day one of every trip to Italy!

One sight that will be near your hotel that we haven't mentioned is the Basilica of San Clemente. It's a 12th century church built on top of a 4th century church, which was built on top of a pagan temple. You can visit the (quite thorough) excavations beneath the church, which puts an ancient city like Rome into perspective. You can see how a city evolves over time, by the way this one church has evolved. You can read about it and watch a video on the church here: http://www.basilicasanclemente.com/

Eurocruiser,

Thank you for your response. My original plan was to basically allocate most of Saturday to the Vatican (Museum, Sistine Chapel, the whole nine yards) ... because I figured we'll be too tired on Friday afternoon to go there (although we aren't coming from a trancontinental flight on Friday... we are flying in from within Europe). When you guys mentioned that it would be better to do the Vatican on Saturday afternoon (where it will be cool) instead of first thing Saturday morning.

I would love to see Galleria Borghese, but, I'm not sure my kids (or hubby) will want more museums after the Vatican.

In regards to check in, I'm assuming we can check in as early as noon and as late as 3:30. I would like to be at the ship by 2:30... therefore, we should probably be at Termini by 12:30 (I will check on schedules as it gets closer).

SO, we have 1/2 day on Friday, Full day Saturday, and a morning on Sunday. Do you think I should do:

Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill on Friday afternoon then dinner and strolling.

Vatican/Museum/Sistene Chapel/Castel Sant' Angelo Saturday first thing, with a nice long lunch or dinner, and strolling past Trevi Fountain in the evening. (Or should I save Vatican for afternoon... because of the heat?)

Pantheon on Sunday morning (leaving our luggage at our hotel which is near Termini).

I plan on buying as much as I can online before we go so as to avoid lines. Only the Collessum/Forum and the Vatican Museums require tickets right?

Thanks for everyone's help planning the best itinerary.

Ok, awesome!

Coming from California, its about a 13 hour flight. My family already said they plan to sleep on the plane and hit the ground running when we get there....we'll see! You are right euro-cruiser, we will want to shower or rest, eat, probably all of the above. However, we will go buy our tickets to the Colesseum then. The Bascillica of San Clemente looks great, thank you for the link and the idea. What else do you think we should do until we drop of exhastion? Trevi and Spanish Steps OR the GREAT idea from YrManInRome:

I second the itinerary first suggested by EuroCruiser except that I would visit the Colosseum the first day. The second day, do the Vatican as EuroCruiser suggests, Castel Sant'Angel (atop Hadrian's Tomb!) the cross the river to Piazza Navona. I would add time to stop and rest, TAKE WATER WITH YOU and refill at the many standing metal water fountains with running water on the streets (fontanellas: safe to drink). Also, if you pace yourself, stop at a cafe and people watch then arrive at the Pantheon before 6:00pm, and add a walk to the Trevi fountain in the evening to see it illuminated (though should be VERY crowded at all hours in July). Intensive, but doable.

Hmmm....

Then, your great suggestion for the next day:The Vatican, lunch, Campidoglio, Forum, and.....?

Decisions, decisions...

Do you think I should do:

Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill on Friday afternoon then dinner and strolling.

I think this makes sense, because it's the closest of the sites you've mentioned to your hotel and you can easily head back if you're more tired than you expect.

Vatican/Museum/Sistene Chapel/Castel Sant' Angelo Saturday first thing, with a nice long lunch or dinner, and strolling past Trevi Fountain in the evening. (Or should I save Vatican for afternoon... because of the heat?)
If your family rises early, I might consider going to the basilica (St. Peter's) first thing (I think it opens at 7 AM) to avoid the security lines that will grow as the day goes on. If you're not likely to get out the door that early, I'd go to Castel Sant' Angelo first, then to the Vatican Museums, and take the exit from the Sistine Chapel into the basilica. You can have lunch inside the museums; not great food, but not bad either.

Pantheon on Sunday morning (leaving our luggage at our hotel which is near Termini).
The only issue here is that the Pantheon is an active Catholic church, and holds mass on Sunday mornings (or at least they did as of a couple of years ago). You might want to check into that, just to be sure, because churches typically don't let you visit as a tourist during mass.

I plan on buying as much as I can online before we go so as to avoid lines. Only the Collessum/Forum and the Vatican Museums require tickets right?
Castel Sant' Angelo also requires an entrance fee. The official web site (http://www.castelsantangelo.com/info.asp) sends you to this site (http://www.ticketeria.it/) to purchase tickets.

We are Catholic, so attending a mass at the Pantheon on Sunday would be terrific. I checked, and I believe the mass is at 10:30 AM and the Pantheon closes at 1:00 on Sundays. We could tour the site earlier (between 8:30 and 10:30) and stay for Mass or not if we are in a hurry. This may work for Sunday.

Archived