Change after final payment

We are booked for an April 2nd, 3 day cruise with two cabins for myself, DH, DS, and Step Daughter. Due to a series of unfortunate events, we may not be allowing the Step Daughter to come on the cruise, we will likely be making that decision after this weekend. If she does not come we would like to change to an 8 day cruise leaving March 6th. Would we be able to apply the full amount paid for the original cruise to the 8 day cruise or would we take some type of a loss on that?

I appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

You are already past final payment, you will lose the penalty amount which at this point is deposit

59-30 Deposit amount

29-8 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

7 or less No refund except for taxes and fees

Has anyone had luck arguing the point that I would be taking a longer cruise and therefore RCCL would make more money in the long run by my taking a longer cruise as well as perform a good customer service?

I understand they have the policies but in the end its still a business and if it is going to benefit them from a financial and customer service stand point it seems it would be a good business decision to make the change with out penalty. I guess I will take my chances after I figure out for sure if the change is even an option from the family stand point.

Has anyone had luck arguing the point that I would be taking a longer cruise and therefore RCCL would make more money in the long run by my taking a longer cruise as well as perform a good customer service?

I understand they have the policies but in the end its still a business and if it is going to benefit them from a financial and customer service stand point it seems it would be a good business decision to make the change with out penalty. I guess I will take my chances after I figure out for sure if the change is even an option from the family stand point.

It doesn't necessarily benefit them from a financial standpoint.

First, you'd be dropping one person from the reservation...so that's one fare lost.

Second, they're still going to need to try and fill an empty stateroom on short notice.

The loss of the deposit helps them "make up" for lost revenue if they have to discount your originally-sold cabin further than the fare you agreed to pay.

Hello, And I don't know if this would be an option for you or not, but, if you keep the original cruise, you can do a name change for $35.00. Maybe if your son had a friend that would go or a family member. You can make that change up to 24 hours before embarkation...Good Luck, I hope it all works out..Maureen

I understand they have the policies but in the end its still a business and if it is going to benefit them from a financial and customer service stand point it seems it would be a good business decision to make the change with out penalty. .

If it works then I'll make a reservation for a 3 day cruise with the smaller fare and switch to a longer cruise with a higher fare and risk only loosing the fare for the 3 day cruise if I cancel. You can see why it won't work to book a short cruise and cancel during the penalty period for another cruise. It would open a problem for any cruiseline.

I am going to be completely honest.. I did this less than a week before sailing! We were booked on Enchantment for our friends first cruise. Then I found this amazing resident deal on Liberty. It would be $200 more total for 4 of us (2 cabins). I was given a # here to call some special department. I was open and honest with them about changing. They placed me on hold and called my TA on the other line. They came back and told me to call my TA. My TA called and said they would let me change.. the only thing I would have to do is pay $75 per cabin for RCI insurance. So for $350 I jumped from 5day Enchantment to 7 day Liberty for 4ppl. I didnt lie to the lady I spoke to.. I was honest and she let me do this! This was August 08 :)

It really depends on the rep you talk to ... by the book, it is not allowed. However, you may find someone willing to do it. If you've ever cruised RCCL before, I would start with C&A. Right after final payment once, I moved from a 4-night on Majesty to a 4-night on Brilliance ... both out of the same port and leaving the same day ... the only difference was that for $50/pp more, we would be in a balcony on Brilliance as compared to an inside on Majesty.

Thanks for all the great feedback and a few examples of it working. I do plan to be completely honest and yes I have sailed RCCL before so going to the C&A is a great idea.

I do have the consideration in mind of changing the name if that ends up being the only option but of course that is worst case scenario as I would rather take the longer sooner cruise if it turns out she can't go. I would much rather have my SD with on the trip but unfortunately she is making some poor choices right now and it may not be the best time for her to go. And if she can't go I am going to make the best of the situation and enjoy my vacation to the fullest potential.

The loss of the deposit helps them "make up" for lost revenue if they have to discount your originally-sold cabin further than the fare you agreed to pay.

I hear what you are saying msmayor, but the cruise I am on now is selling at a much higher rate than when I booked it so I don't think that would be a problem, and I would moving to a cruise it looks like they are having trouble filling.

Archived