ginger for sea sickness

cherylterr

hello,

I've read various threads that mention taking ginger for sea sickness. I was hoping someone out there knew what kind and how much. There seems

to be tablets for sale on various sites but I'm curious as to dosage. Can ginger tea work? I can't find a place that sells ginger crystals or ginger candy.. .are these as effective, or less so,than tablets? should I look for a particular kind of ginger?

Any help would be appreciated. I do get quite sea sick and hope to

make this a pleasant experience for me and the hubby that does not get sea sick!

I have heard from others that they have had good experiences with crystallized ginger. We started using the ginger tablets last year and have had good luck. You can find them in the vitamin section at a pharmacy. Although neither of us is especially prone to seasickness, I can get a bit queasy if the seas are rough enough. The tablets have done the job so far. I start taking them the morning we board, and will take one throughout the day (maybe 4 or 5 a day). So far, so good.

In Canada, we can no longer buy Bonine, dramamine, etc for sea sickness. We can buy Ginger Gravol though, which has this written on the package:

" Contains ginger root (Zingiber officinale) (extract1:25)...500mg (20 mg of liquid equivalent to 500 mg of dried ginger root"

" Do not take if pregnant or breastfeeding or if you have gallbladder problems. No drowsiness reported."

I used it on our last cruise, which was fairly calm anyway, and felt great!

Trader Joes has some uncrystallized ginger in a bag. We hit some rough seas on the Infinity last fall and someone gave us a bag of it. It worked great for me. I usually have to wear wrist bands when the seas are rough. i didn't this time. The ginger ( I ate 2 pieces each morning) worked great for me! In really rough seas I had a couple of extra pieces.

I have tried a couple of the ginger remedies. For me, the candy is just too hot (spicy) and gives me heartburn-not good if you are already feeling queasy. Thank goodness I tried it before our cruise. Tea was not strong enough. I have tried some tablets, and some made me burp a lot. For me, Gingerforce capsules (150 mg) worked the best. They cost a little more than others, but for me worth it. No aftertaste or heartburn.

I started taking them two days before our trip, as I also tend to get airsick. I took 3 a day before the trip. Once on the ship, I took one as soon as we boarded, then one at dinner, and another one or two at bedtime (depending on the waves). I also took Bonine the first few nights, then realized I was doing fine. Still kept taking the ginger though, as did my husband. Only time I felt even slightly queasy was in the theatre. I bought more for my upcoming cruise in April.

The worst time for seasickness is when you go to bed, something about laying down makes it worse for me. Also, try not to overeat, but keep a little something in your stomach all the time. I did get really sick 25 years ago on a short cruise to Alaska (had to get an injection from the Dr. even), but it is true that the bigger ships have less movement, and the difference was amazing. Go with a positive attitude and your ginger tablets, and carry along Bonine in case you need more help, and you will probably be fine.

Candied ginger,also Altoids makes a ginger lozenge that is very good and easy to carry comes in a small tin box.I have never been ss but had bad nausea from medication when I could only take ginger tea. You can buy the tea bags at the grocery, wouldn't hurt to take a few with you.The ginger is better than the patches as they contain a very strong medication that strongly affects some people.

hello,

I've read various threads that mention taking ginger for sea sickness. I was hoping someone out there knew what kind and how much. There seems

to be tablets for sale on various sites but I'm curious as to dosage. Can ginger tea work? I can't find a place that sells ginger crystals or ginger candy.. .are these as effective, or less so,than tablets? should I look for a particular kind of ginger?

make this a pleasant experience for me and the hubby that does not get sea sick!

One of the bar staff on the Oceana recommended sipping ginger ale and it worked for my son.

We just take ginger Tablets - you can buy them in most stores that have a decent assortment of vitamins and supplements. I think the last bottle we bought at Walgreens for about $5 for a bottle of 60 or 100. This will last us until the stuff expires in a couple years. We usually take a couple tablets 2 or three times a day on the first day, starting before we leave, and then only if we're either getting into rough seas or if we're feeling at all queasy.

I really don't think we need it much anymore after cruising a couple times a year for a few years but we still do - better safe than sorry and they don't seem to have any side effects at all.

. . . I can't find a place that sells ginger crystals or ginger candy.. .are these as effective, or less so,than tablets? should I look for a particular kind of ginger?

DD (now 14) uses ginger to counteract motion sickness on an "as needed" basis. She prefers the crystalized ginger because she chew and shallow some right away and then kind of suck on some more -- that seems to help her most.

We get our crystalized ginger from either the Spice House (locations in Milwaukee and Chicago and a great Web sales site) or Penzey's (locations in many major cities across the US and also Web sales). It is a great product.

"Ginger man" makes ginger candies that have good strength and use real ginger. I find them at TJMaxx and they also have mail order Web sales.

If you are going the candy or tablet route, Look for candies or tablels with "real" ginger.

We have always gone to the health food or vitamin store and purchased ginger pills. They come in the form of pure powdered ginger in a capsule and we have given them to dinner mates when they had to leave the dining room due to seasickness and they usual return within 10 to 20 minutes and can't believe that they are back and ready to eat. I think the pure powdered ginger seems to work much quicker than the tablets.

Hope this helps.

I get motion sick very easy so when we went on our first cruise in December 09 I was pretty nervous. I found crystallized ginger at a local co-op store, ginger gum from a gift shop in VT of all places and ginger capsules from the vitainshoppe dot com.

A couple of days before going, I tried things to see how they "worked" for me. I knew I wouldn't really be able to tell but I didn't' want to try them on the first day of the cruise just in case.

The crystallized ginger tasted terrible to me but I did bring it with me. The capsules were great. I seem to recall the dose was 3 capsules at a time. The ginger gum was strong but tasty.

I ate a piece of the crystallized ginger each morning of the cruise. Followed by 3 capsules mid morning. Sometimes I would have a piece of gum in the afternoon but most times I totally forgot about it. It was probably overkill what I was doing but I didn't want sickness to ruin my trip. And, I didn't want the drugged/drowsy feeling from the "non-drowsy" stuff meds.

Maybe it was mind over matter but I am pleased to say that I never got sick at all. The only time I really noticed anything at all, was in the very front of the ship in one of the lounges. I guess the front is where you tend to find more movement. I didn't get sick, but did notice the VERY early stages of feeling a touch off. Sort of like when you try to read while you are a passenger in a car. Luckily I noticed it early, popped 3 more ginger caps and was good to go. Next time, I'm going to just go with the capsules and the gum.

Good luck.

In Canada, we can no longer buy Bonine, dramamine, etc for sea sickness.

Why not ?

"Dramamine" is available at Canadian pharmacies, but kept behind the pharmacy counter. You need to speak with the pharmacist to get it. It is available under the name "Gravol".

"Bonine" is sold under the name "Bonamine" in Canada and is available by prescription.

I have been to many pharmacies throughout Alberta and bonamine/bonine was discontinued awhile ago (both over the counter and by prescription). Perhaps it is still available in other provinces, but we have not been able to get any here for over a year now. Thanks for the tip about the other Gravol. I just called the pharmacy and it contains something very similar to dramamine (dimenhydronate).

On a recent Mythbusters show, ginger seemed to be the best remedy.

I took ginger capsules for the first time last yr on a Caribbean cruise that started and ended in New Jersey - pretty rough going back to NJ= the ginger capsules worked for me ! two yrs before, same cruise route, I was very seasick even tho' I took bonine- so when I added the ginger capsules to my bonine intake, I was not sick at all -the next big test will be our on our northern Calif route going to AK in May - it can be very rough going north too - I know I was sick again May 08 - didn't discover ginger capsules yet.

So this time I will be prepared - ginger capsules, ginger ale, crystallized ginger candy!!! carol

hello,

On our Princess Med cruise a couple years ago I was not feeling well and our head waiter brought me slices of green apple. The apple did seem to help and I noticed there were bowls of green apples set out around the ship and always available at the buffet. I've also used ginger capsules with success and now always pack ginger candy.

I am prone to seasickness and also take Ginger Capsules starting 2 days before getting on a boat. I also use MotionEaze which is wonderful and available online. It is a liquid which you dab behind your ears and on your wrists kinda like perfume. It has a great smell and the two together have been my magic charm for my last 3 cruises. Here is the link for MotionEaze

http://www.motioneazeworks.com/

Happy Sailing

disneydiane

Dump the ginger and get straight to the source!!! Use the relief band, the price is much more but its a one time buy and can be used in every motion sickness case. my wife uses it flying, cruising car rides. It works like a charm and actively treats the causes of motion sickness. also works for severe hangovers and if your taking Chemo-therapy(original use).

check it out you wont be sorry:

http://www.reliefband.com/main.html

Prevention is the key. Once you get sea sick it's harder to recover. I use the patch and start ginger capsules a couple of days before we leave. Sometimes I will take a Bonnine at bedtime. Don't let your stomach be empty or too full. So far so good for me.

Archived