ginger for sea sickness

cherylterr

I used to use the patch, but had really bad side effects.

Started usiing natural whole herb ginger root capsules a few years ago and they work fine. I got mine from Rexall, but am sure similar product available through most large retailers.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Dump the ginger and get straight to the source!!! Use the relief band, the price is much more but its a one time buy and can be used in every motion sickness case. my wife uses it flying, cruising car rides. It works like a charm and actively treats the causes of motion sickness. also works for severe hangovers and if your taking Chemo-therapy(original use).

check it out you wont be sorry:

http://www.reliefband.com/main.html

The band did nothing for me on a previous trip. Ginger worked like a charm on the cruise though. It couldn't hurt to bring both.

I used to use the patch, but had really bad side effects.

Started usiing natural whole herb ginger root capsules a few years ago and they work fine. I got mine from Rexall, but am sure similar product available through most large retailers.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I don't get seasick, but am traveling with a friend who just got a prescription for the patch. Are there side effects we should know about?

Thanks,

Mari

I agree with NNZZ. Go to the health food store and get the ginger root capsules. They have always worked for us. We (DH and I) don't usually get seasick but we both felt a little queasy one cruise on the first night when it was a little rocky. We have shared this with other friends cruising with us and they have benefited from this also. Very effective and natural so you don't get that drowsy feeling. I first learned of this in Hawaii when taking a catamaran excursion about 15 years ago. Waters are pretty rough around there and i took it just in case and had no problems. Highly recommended.

I swear by the crystallized ginger candy. Holland America used to have large ginger jars of it outside of their dining rooms.

I buy mine at a large supermarket which carries a lot of natural or organic foods. It is in the Asian section of the ethnic foods.

There is a lot to be said for green apples and for positive thinking, too. NEVER discuss symptoms and avoid those who do. Gaze at the horizon whenever possible.

I don't get seasick, but am traveling with a friend who just got a prescription for the patch. Are there side effects we should know about?

Side Effects

The most common side effect experienced by people using Transderm Scop is dryness of the mouth. This occurs in about two thirds of the people. A less frequent side effect is drowsiness, which occurs in less than one sixth of the people.

Temporary blurring of vision and dilation (widening) of the pupils may occur, especially if the drug is on your hands and comes in contact with the eyes.

On infrequent occasions, disorientation, memory disturbances, dizziness, restlessness, hallucinations, confusion, difficulty urinating, skin rashes or redness, temporary changes in heart rate such as palpitations, dry itchy, or reddened whites of the eyes, and eye pain have been reported. If these effects do occur, remove the patch and call your doctor.

Since drowsiness, disorientation, and confusion may occur with the use of scopolamine, be careful driving or operating any dangerous machinery, especially when you first start using the drug system.

In addition, if you plan to participate in underwater sports while wearing the patch, you should discuss with your doctor the potentially disorienting effects of scopolamine.

Eye Effects: Temporary blurring of vision and dilation (widening) of the pupils may occur, especially if the drug is on your fingers or hands and comes into contact with the eyes. Dry, itchy, or reddened whites of the eye and eye pain have been reported infrequently. In the unlikely event that you experience pain in the eye and reddened whites of the eye, which may be accompanied by widening of the pupil and blurred vision, remove the patch and consult your doctor promptly. Widening of the pupils and blurred vision without pain, or reddened whites of the eye, is usually temporary and not serious.

Drug Withdrawal/Post-Removal Symptoms: Symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, vomiting, headache, and disturbances of equilibrium have been reported by some people following discontinuation of use of the Transderm Scop patch. These symptoms have occurred most often in people who have used the patches for more than 3 days, and frequently do not appear until 24 hours or more after the patch has been removed. These symptoms may be associated with adaptation from a motion environment to a motion-free environment. It is recommended that you consult with your doctor if these symptoms persist.

http://www.transdermscop.com/transderm-scop-patient-information.htm

I don't get seasick, but am traveling with a friend who just got a prescription for the patch. Are there side effects we should know about?...

We once traveled with a friend who was on his second cruise - had some sea sickness issues on his first so he got the patch from his doctor. He was very ill with nausea and dizziness which we all attributed to a severe case of sea sickness. He eventually went to the ship's doctor where they told him his symptoms were mostly side effects of the patch. Took the patch off him and gave him a shot of something that knocked him out for the rest of the day - then a very mild sea sickness medicine for the rest of the cruise (one of the over-the-counter types). He was fine the rest of the cruise and didn't have any further problems.

I know the patch doesn't effect many people that way but I also know that my friends case wasn't unique.

Archived