Best advice on what things to register for right away

2Labs2Many

So what would your best advice be for things that might fill up that I would want to register for as soon as I get on board.

We've already signed up for our excursions and our nights in the Pinnacle.

I saw on another thread that I might want to register for the Culinary Arts classes immediately and that sometimes they sell out of certain sizes of t-shirts for the 5K walk.

Anything else that we should check out right away? We are just traveling as a couple, so the time after we board but before we leave we plan on exploring the ship, so we might as well make any reservations that we can at that time.

(Zandaam to Hawaii, if it matters)

Any other insider tips? I already found the art tour to download to our MP3 players.

We leave in a little over a week, and I think my real-life friends are a little sick of hearing about it, but I know other Cruise Critic members can understand our excitement.

Wow, looks like you have it all planned out well. The only thing I can think of to add is reservations at Canaletto if you want to eat there.

If you want to make use of the spa or beauty salon you might want to make those appointments right away.

Have a wonderul cruise, you sound very organized.

You sure have a plan of attack! I would put the Walk for the Cure last on my agenda as the shops won't be open until after you leave port. They can't run out of your size t-shirt until much later in the day (if then).

Galley tour on all HAL ships that I have been on was a just "show up" type of thing. Times are listed in the activities list for the day. Another "tour" that I recommend (if it is still offered) is the Art Tour of the ship. Most fascinating, and really makes you take notice of all the beautiful art and art objects that are so much a part of a HAL cruise.

Enjoy!

Are you considering booking the thermal suite? If so, that's a "first day" thing, too.

Kakalina's post reminded me - if you want your hair done for first formal night (or nails, or whatever) - ask which night that will be, and book early. That's one day the salon will be crowded.

Are you considering booking the thermal suite? If so, that's a "first day" thing, too.

Kakalina's post reminded me - if you want your hair done for first formal night (or nails, or whatever) - ask which night that will be, and book early. That's one day the salon will be crowded.

Oh, good point - that's something we definitely want to check out to see if we want to get a pass to use it.

Is the art tour self-guided or does it have a guide at a specific time? I haven't listened to it, but I assumed that the audio file I downloaded was a self-guided art tour - do they offer something else?

Hi I have never been to a spa can you explain the Thermal Suite- Lots of people talk about it and we will be on our first HAL cruise in August.

thanks for any help!

If you are so inclined, the Mixology classes were a blast! If you signed up early for all 3 (martini, margarita, cocktails) they gave you a price break. We laughed a lot, sang a lot, and definitely got our money's worth. We had a great hostess for the three classes and also bartenders that got everyone involved.

TracyE

If you are so inclined, the Mixology classes were a blast! If you signed up early for all 3 (martini, margarita, cocktails) they gave you a price break. We laughed a lot, sang a lot, and definitely got our money's worth. We had a great hostess for the three classes and also bartenders that got everyone involved. TracyE

Are the mixology classes similar to Tasting sessions or do the passengers who sign up actually mix their own drinks on instructions.

Hi I have never been to a spa can you explain the Thermal Suite- Lots of people talk about it and we will be on our first HAL cruise in August.

thanks for any help!

I am also going on my first cruise in May. Can someone please explain what the Thermal Suite is? It looks intriguing from the pictures.

I think the cost was $25 for all 3 if you pre-signed up/$30 if you did not.

We did not mix our own drinks but the bartenders explained how the drinks were made and we were given take-home recipe cards for all the drinks. For each session we were also taught some hilarious songs and the louder we sang, the more drinks we got :) Enjoy!

TracyE

It has been a number of years since we were on HAL, but the last time I went on the Art Tour it was guided by a staff member. Since it has been a while since we sailed on HAL, not sure if they still offer it. The art work on each ship is one of a kind, and chosen for that ship in particular!

Oh, good point - that's something we definitely want to check out to see if we want to get a pass to use it.

Is the art tour self-guided or does it have a guide at a specific time? I haven't listened to it, but I assumed that the audio file I downloaded was a self-guided art tour - do they offer something else?

The art tour is self-guided ... you can load your downloaded file into your own music player or you can borrow a pre-loaded iPod at the library. Last year, I was able to sign out the iPod for something like 2 or 3 hours ... that was more than enough time to tour the artworks onboard the Maasdam.

I am also going on my first cruise in May. Can someone please explain what the Thermal Suite is? It looks intriguing from the pictures.

The thermal Suite is where you will find 5 or 6 ceramic heated chaise lounge type chairs... they are the most relaxing place to lay and look at the ocean...At first I thought they would be uncomfortable, but they just conform to your back well... they also have a saunas and aroma therapy type of options in the area... I also get this and the hydro pool, which is more of a mineral type water whirlpool maintained at body temperature....you can stay in it for long periods of time... definitely the way to spend a morning... DB777

The thermal suite sounds great! Do you have to book for a specific time period? Can you pre-book it? Isn't there a special pool with it too? Do you know the $?

Also - the pinnacle - can you view a menu online? Is it different from ship to ship? We're on the Westerdam NEXT WEEK! Yea! I have until 6:00 tonight.:rolleyes:

I forgot - how did you download the art tour?

Can I get it as a podcast?

You can go to HAL's website ... on the homepage, hover your mouse over Onboard Our Ships and select Activities from the dropdown. On the Activities page, there is an Art Tours link on the left side ... from the next page you can download any/all available ship art tours.

Some have said in the past that you also can search for these podcast/art tours on iTunes ... not sure how to do that. What I know is that I can open the downloaded tours with iTunes ... but I cannot make them compatible with my Sony player. I think it's a Sony software thing.

I think the cost was $25 for all 3 if you pre-signed up/$30 if you did not.

We did not mix our own drinks but the bartenders explained how the drinks were made and we were given take-home recipe cards for all the drinks. For each session we were also taught some hilarious songs and the louder we sang, the more drinks we got :) Enjoy!

TracyE

Is this something my husband could do with me and just be a spectator? He takes medication that prevents him from drinking.

Archived