half day in whittier

lazarru

I'm looking at 2 different options, we're planning on renting a car the day before our cruise and driving south from Anchorge to Portage Lake and Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.

My 2 options would be

• Since I'll be all the way down just outside of Whittier just stay there
  • Drive back up to Anchorge then take the train down the next morning

We're going to be doing a Glacier cruise the afternoon of of our cruise, so my question would be is there anything at all to do in Whittier the morning of the cruise? I've already looking at the cost of the car(droping in Whitter), hotel and train and the costs work out to be almost exactly the same, so it might come down to if there's anything at all to do in Whittier for a few hours.

I'm looking at 2 different options, we're planning on renting a car the day before our cruise and driving south from Anchorge to Portage Lake and Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.

My 2 options would be

• Since I'll be all the way down just outside of Whittier just stay there
  • Drive back up to Anchorge then take the train down the next morning

We're going to be doing a Glacier cruise the afternoon of of our cruise, so my question would be is there anything at all to do in Whittier the morning of the cruise? I've already looking at the cost of the car(droping in Whitter), hotel and train and the costs work out to be almost exactly the same, so it might come down to if there's anything at all to do in Whittier for a few hours.

Really there is nothing to do in Whittier for a few hours. Mostly people go to Whittier to go on a glacier cruise, a cruise, the ferry or have their own pleasure boat there and that's basically it.

Basically, all the residents of Whittier live in one building, Begich Towers and there is just nothing really to do there.

Susan in Anchorage :)

We haven't went yet, but in my research and following the boards here. . . . If you have the car, you could drive on down to Seward and stay there with lots to do, then pop up to Whittier in time for your afternoon Glacier cruise. Seward has places to stay, eat and more than enough to keep you busy. We ran out of time before I ran out of things to do when we were planning ours.

We haven't went yet, but in my research and following the boards here. . . . If you have the car, you could drive on down to Seward and stay there with lots to do, then pop up to Whittier in time for your afternoon Glacier cruise. Seward has places to stay, eat and more than enough to keep you busy. We ran out of time before I ran out of things to do when we were planning ours.

I agree. From what I've read, I would also go to Seward and then spend the night there. Then drive to Whittier in the morning to catch your cruise.

I second that idea.. so much to do in Seward that i have 3 nights there. one for jet lag and hte rest to run around.

It looks like Seward is a good 90-120 mins though, not sure want to drive to Whittier, do stuff just outside then drive another 2 hrs, and have to drive 2 hrs back in the AM. glacier cruise is at 1, so really wouldn't be able to do anything in Seward then anyway.

Guess we'll have to rethink a little, maybe we just get up late, do a lazy breakfast, get some pictures, we'll be running around enough with other tours so maybe it's worth just a little down time

It looks like Seward is a good 90-120 mins though, not sure want to drive to Whittier, do stuff just outside then drive another 2 hrs, and have to drive 2 hrs back in the AM. glacier cruise is at 1, so really wouldn't be able to do anything in Seward then anyway.

Guess we'll have to rethink a little, maybe we just get up late, do a lazy breakfast, get some pictures, we'll be running around enough with other tours so maybe it's worth just a little down time

have you thought about driving to seward and doing a boat ride there and then drive to your ship.. there is a boat around 10 am.

Just polled the office and the concensus is that Seward is more like a 2 1/2 hour trip.

I think your idea of just doing a lazy morning and then heading down to do the Glacier Cruise in Whittier will work out. Who knows you may just fall in love with this place and will want to come back and then you could do Seward next time :D

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived