first cruise what should I not forget to pack?

Take a power bar if your using a laptop - curling iron - cell phone charger, battery charger for your phone

A few clothes pins to hang up your bathing suits, undies on he little clothes line in the shower

Sun screen or lotion - steamer if you have one, copies of your passports so you can keep the originals in the safe in the cabin, conditioner for your hair, not supplied - maybe a mp3 player for around the pool or while sitting on the balcony, a good book to read, geez can't think of anything else right now:)

I always pack an extention cord, the plugs are always at a spot that isn't convient. I take a shaw, usually reversable for different looks.Pack a small folding umbrella in your purse. Take a lot of $1s for tips on shore and street vendors . Have a great trip!

Check the weather a couple days before you leave and adjust your packing. Be careful of packing too much and having to pay extra fees for overweight bags, or an extra bag...that you just don't need.

People are all very well meaning with suggestions, but don't pack things just because you read about them here. If you can't think of it yourself, you more than likely don't need it.

We pack: clothes and shoes (mixing, matching and wearing things more than once) dress from the shoes up to avoid taking too many pair. We pack for at least two days less than the trip, so for a 7 night cruise, only pack for 5 days/nights. There is laundry service onboard that ends up costing far less than extra or overweight bag fees. More than one bathing suit, as that is what you will wear more than clothes. Take your own toiletries in small sample or travel sizes. A very small first aid kit with representations of typical OTC meds and a few bandaids. A camera with plenty of memory and batteries.

Everything else is extra and that you have to decide whether you need it or not. Cruise ships are very sophisticated and have much of what you will need, with the exception of your own personal clothing and toiletries.

A high lighter pen or 2 in different colours. You get a daily newsletter called the Compass which is packed full of activities. Nice to sit down in the evening to plan the next day's activities and pick out what you would like to do.

We use post its to stick on the mirror to say where we are should we get separated or delayed or to leave notes for the room steward.

I've read on here of people taking a clothes peg for the shower curtain. Not quite sure how that works but so far the cabins we have had had solid shower doors.

Enjoy your cruise!

Even if you don't have a balcony, bring binoculars...I take mine to the pool and use them to check out the blobs of land we're passing, ships in the distance....several times, folks ask if they can take a look....there's alot to see at sea!

Don't forget to bring your sense of adventure! Experience all those things that you have said "one day I will..." - now's your chance - especially when it comes to trying new food dishes!

I would caution you - don't try to make everything perfect because if something does go wrong, it could color your judgment of what will still be a wonderful cruise.

Most important thing - HAVE FUN and relax!

A few things I've found handy over the years are: shower scrunchy for those ships that have liquid body wash and not regular soap. Instead of a power strip get one of those 3 outlet plugs to save on space. Ziplock bags to take snacks on shore excursions especially if you're not confident on the food being served in port. Sunburn relief gel/spray as they can be expensive if you have to buy them onboard or in port (as my dw found out when she bought gel for $185 pesos or about $18 when I converted it for her afterward). As others have said, don't go overboard on packing since most ships have good laundry service and offer a bulk laundry toward the end of the cruise at about $20-25 for all you can fit into the laundry bag. I say pack everything you think you'll need, then take out about 15% of it. Have fun and more than likely it'll be warm in Galveston when you get there so you probably won't need more than a sweater or light jacket.

Over the door, transparent plastic pouch shoe holders work great to ease clutter in tiny bathrooms. They fold and fit nicely in the bottom of a suitcase.

We never cruise without one now. :)

We are planning on one of these for our next cruise and we are taking the kids along and DS has a lot of "stuff" (ipod, sunglasses, etc) that I don't want cluttering up the counters. I got one at the Dollar Tree (for $1! :D) It's not super sturdy but DD has been using one for her American Girl doll clothes and it seems to be holding up well.

We're on the Voyager leaving from Galvaston. I hope it is warm! I'm afraid I am going to have to pack for cold and warm weather. We are flying out of Washington and its cold!

Don't pack for anything cold weather (unless weather dot com says it will be cold in the islands). Not sure which Washington you are flying from but when we fly from here (Wash DC) to FLA when it is cold here, I just wear a long sleeve shirt, sweater/sweatshirt and light jacket. At our airport, hubby drops us off and then goes parks and takes the shuttle. Even if I am a bit chilly for a few minutes I would rather that than pack something I don't need.

Archived