Ok Let's try this !!!!

Gottacruise3

I'm looking forward to seeing how the new Sony HX5 does. It has 10x zoom, in a very compact format. No RAW or OVF, but this is not important to me. Should be very good in low light, shoot HD quality video, has GPS, panorama mode, and a slew of other features. Due out 3/15, so I guess I won't have it for my upcoming cruise.:( (Plus I have sony rewards, so it won't cost me anything!:D)

I'm looking forward to seeing how the new Sony HX5 does. It has 10x zoom, in a very compact format. No RAW or OVF, but this is not important to me. Should be very good in low light, shoot HD quality video, has GPS, panorama mode, and a slew of other features. Due out 3/15, so I guess I won't have it for my upcoming cruise.:( (Plus I have sony rewards, so it won't cost me anything!:D)

Initial image tests look promising. Very low distortion and great sharpness for a compact with a 10X range.

Sweep panorama, built-in GPS and 10 full-rez frames per second certainly are attractive features.

Dave

All the D-SLR cameras have been banned. Which Point and Shoot would you want ?

Aren't all camera's P&S even those with tilt screens :D

If it can't technically be one with a mirror that is easy, Olympus EP-2 no comparison, the Leica M9 if you got a lot of dough!

If you want a P&S w an OVF, you will have to buy a Canon. Everyone else only makes cameras with those horrible LCD screens on the back. I may be a luddite but I hate them.

DON

You're right. Only canon makes cameras with the tiny tunnel-vision peephole view finders on the camera instead of a larger, bright and functional LCD.

;)

Point of view, Don..point of view! :D

I bought my SD800 because it had a viewfinder and have used it twice out of 10,000 shots. I'm sure my next DSLR will have live-view and I imagine that I will use the LCD at about the same 5000:1 ratio...but in reverse. Despite my love of the incredible optical viewfinder on my A700 DSLR, I find the LCD just suits me better on the compact.

Dave

Definitely the G11. Besides the manual controls and RAW, it has an adapter ring on the front that you can take off and replace with an adapter tube, which will allow you to mount filters (or a teleconverter, if you want more reach). If you like to shoot on a tripod and want to trigger the shutter off-camera, it has a plug for a cable release. Unlike most other P&Ss, it has a hot shoe, which will allow you to use an external flash (i.e. Canon 270EX) when you need it.

BTW, Canon does offer a hard waterproof case for the G11...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/653410-REG/Canon_4042B001_WP_DC34_Case_for_Canon.html

...as well as for most models of P&S cameras they've produced:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=StandardDisplayAct&fcategoryid=113&keycode=underwater_photo#top

Heather :)

All the D-SLR cameras have been banned. Which Point and Shoot would you want ?

What you are finding on here is that there is no perfect camera, it is all a matter of personal choice, one mans meat is another mans poison as the saying goes. However in most cases what actually makes the difference, is the person behind the camera, and in these days often there post shooting computer skills.;)

Definitely the G11....Unlike most other P&Ss, it has a hot shoe, which will allow you to use an external flash (i.e. Canon 270EX) when you need it.

I have the Canon G10. And believe it or not, I have placed a 580EX external flash in the hot shoe of this camera. (I couldn't find a quick picture of the 580EX, so I've got the 580EX II pictured below)

canon-g10-powershot1.jpg plus canon-580ex2.jpg

The external flash was much bigger than the camera, so there was a HUGE load imbalance. However, I was able to bounce the flash, as I normally would have with an SLR. All this, while my wife was rolling her eyes and shaking her head in disbelief.

What you are finding on here is that there is no perfect camera, it is all a matter of personal choice, one mans meat is another mans poison as the saying goes. However in most cases what actually makes the difference, is the person behind the camera, and in these days often there post shooting computer skills.;)

I agree wholeheartedly!

I'd like to add that it is increasingly difficult to find a truly bad camera (and as easy as ever to find bad photographers! :D)

The perfect camera for all situations is usually two or three cameras! More importantly, the best camera is the one you will use and the picture you take will always be better than the one you didn't.

Dave

The perfect camera for all situations is usually two or three cameras! More importantly, the best camera is the one you will use and the picture you take will always be better than the one you didn't.

Dave

I'll be taking 2 cameras with me (40D and G11) and my husband will be taking his Olympus WP p&s and camcorder.

You gotta be prepared for everything! :D

Heather :)

Archived