Moby Dick vs. Captain Marvin's, vs. Stingray Sailing

PAcruiser116

We used Captain Marvins a few months ago. There were only eight on the board besides the crew. We got plenty of time to pet and feed the stingrays and then they stopped for snorkeling. We don't snorkle but put on life jackets and got in the water. My mom was feeling uncomfortable so one of the crew members helped her into the boat, offered to stay with her or not, and gave her a cold drink from a cooler. The van ride to and from the boat was air conditioned, which felt good after being on the sunny boat (I understand Moby Dick uses a hot old bus). Captain Marvins was a good excursion for $35.00.

My problem is the timing. We don't get into Grand Cayman until 10 AM...to 6 PM. Captain Marvin's website says two tours-9 AM or 1 PM. First one is too early the 2nd one pushes close to the final tender (with the time change). Moby Dick's tour's time would work with ours, but I didn't want a motorboat nor 50 people at a time (I also didn't like the fact that I inquired about availability and they immediately reserved us a spot...I was only inquiring about availability!).

I've been working with Stingray Sailing who has a 10:30 tour (meet between 10:15-10:30 island time) which is perfect IF we can get a tender early enough. It gives us almost an hour and a half to get off the ship and meet the guide...I'm just worried we'll miss it! I think our saving grace is that there are only 2 ships in that day and both arrive at 10 am.

Loved Cap't Marvins - did his tour in 2006 and going again with DH this time on our upcoming cruise in just over two weeks on the Equinox. Can't wait.

Ah, I just realized I misread the Captain Marvin's website...first tour is at 10 am (local time) which only gives us an hour to make it. Second tour is 2:30 which is too late.

LOVED Moby Dick...only about 20 -25 people on our tour. Great time, they took time with each customer.

Don't worry about the bus...no A/C but I didn't find a problem at all...we opened the window and the Caribbean breezes were just fine. Its only a 5-10 minute bus ride.

Loved Stingray Sailing did it last year ...a catamaran ---great crew...so nice and informative...fresh fruit...stingrays and blue skies...fun snorkeling...on almost your private boat...with 12 other people....:)

They met us at the peir....spent 1/2 day ...then they sould drop you off at the beach, shopping or backto the pier...so accomodating...you will loeve them...best escursion ever!!!

DW, DS, DD, and I went in January with String Sailing. Went with them because of the catamaran and being limited to 28 max. The others seem like they could go over that. The extras made it worth the minimal cost difference. Laying out on the front of the cat, catching the warm rays, sipping a cold beer while we were under sail was (understatement intended) enjoyable.

Visited GC on Feb 9, 2010. Went with Capt. Marvin's based upon the positive reviews here. I highly recommend them. Fun staff, low stress onboard experience, three stops ($39.99 pp tour)... Coral gardens, barrier reef and stingray city. If you are at GC until 6PM, I would think that the 1PM departures would work for you. As I recall, our 10AM start had a recommended meeting time of 9:15AM (short walk from boat tender dock to their storefront). The nice air conditioned ~15 passenger bus left right about 9:40ish. Ten or fifteen minute drive to Capt. Marvin's docks narrated by the friendly driver.

3hr. trip was more like 2.5 hrs. We were back at the port at 1PM. I would guesstimate that the 1PM boats would get you back shortly after 4PM, leaving you a comfortable 2 hrs. to get tendered back to your ship (ample time to shop some at the port).

Probably not totally fair to comment on your other choices, but we did see the Moby Dick boat arriving at SRcity as we were departing. Judging by the amount of people crammed on that boat, I was happy to be with Capt. Marvin's with much more "elbow room". Either way you do it, I'm sure you will be happy, because this is just a great excursion in a tremendously entertaining part of the Caribbean!

I would state that we used Moby Dick tours and my DBF and I both enjoyed the trip! We had about 25 people on our boat, and it was great. We first did the snorkeling, which was nice because when we got to Stingray City there were fewer boats there than when we went by to snorkel. At stingray city everyone was in the water helping us to feed, kiss and hold the stingray. Unlike other tours, the guides actually helped us take photos with our own cameras (no trying to sell you their "professional" photos). Then they gave us ideas for lunch (came with a discount for being on the tour, which is great as GC is very pricey). We are looking to do a tour with Moby Dick when we go to Jamaica on our next cruise in December if we can. I would definitely book with them again!

Love all the info regarding Cap Marvin's - does he offer Snuba and how easy is it to get on and off the boat in the water? Does the boat have the straight ladder or the easier step stairs with the double railings? Also do they offer the prescription snorkels for people who wear glasses? If our ship gets in at 7AM do you think we'll be able to meet a tour at 9:15 AM? ;)

We have used Captain Marvin's twice and are using them again next week. I'm not sure about the snuba thing but the boat had the straight ladders into the water. I didn't see anytype of prescription snorkels...I'm not even sure how that would work since everyone's prescription is different for their eyes. My husband wears glasses but just wore regular snorkel mask. I would recommend emailing them...they are great about responding to emails and answering any questions and really stay on top of things. On our last cruise, they called us a few days before we sailed to let us know that they had just recieved word from Carnival that the ship would not change to port time (as it had done in the past) so we wouldn't be there in time for our booked excursion. We were able to book a later time and had a wonderful day.

We used Captain Marvins a few months ago. There were only eight on the board besides the crew. We got plenty of time to pet and feed the stingrays and then they stopped for snorkeling. We don't snorkle but put on life jackets and got in the water. My mom was feeling uncomfortable so one of the crew members helped her into the boat, offered to stay with her or not, and gave her a cold drink from a cooler. The van ride to and from the boat was air conditioned, which felt good after being on the sunny boat (I understand Moby Dick uses a hot old bus). Captain Marvins was a good excursion for $35.00.

We have jsut booked Captain Marvins for their short excurison - glad to hear you had a great time. Can you tell me where the office is located once you get off the tender - their map is not too clear. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

We just went on a tour with Stingray Sailing about a week and a half ago, and it was fantastic. It is a small family company. Chip is the owner/operator. When we went out we had Chip, his dad, and another guide. All were so friendly and chatted with us as we went along. Chip's wife handles the emails - very prompt, nice, and informative. We had a small group - only about a dozen people, so not crowded at all. The boat is nice and clean. They do provide free water and some fruit and charge for soda or beer. They also have food to feed the stingrays. Ample time at both stingrays and snorkeling. At the end of the tour, Chip will drop you off at the boat or the beach or whatever. We chose to stop at the beach for a while and then just took a taxi back to the ship later. This was our favorite excursion of the whole cruise. Partly just because of the experience itself, but also the quality of the tour. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a small, friendly, but still professional tour.

It was easy to find Chip at the start of the tour. And if you don't see a sign, just ask around and someone will find him. Timing worked out just fine for us, but our ship's itinerary seemed to match perfectly with the tour time, so can't say for someone else.

Another vote for CHIP and stingraysailing.com

My wife and I had a great trip with them last week. The difference is they strive to make sure everyone enjoys the experience. They do one excursion a day to ensure they dont rush the guest. Chip meets you at the pier, drives the bus, drives the boat spends time with each guest AND owns the company.

We did Capt Marvins a couple of weeks ago and loved it. They were able to rearrange the schedule and time it so we were at Stingray City when it wasn't as crowded. they were very helpful with the stingrays and snorkeling and took lots of pics that you can buy.

After reading all reviews etc we decided to go with Stingray Sailing. Got an email overnight to say they are full for our date, but that if we turn up at the cruise terminal there is agood chance we will be able to go as often people don't turn up. If it is full they will point us in the direction of another ereputable tour operator.

Should we wait and take the risk or book with someone else. If we book now we don't need to take extra dollars as we will pay with credit card, which could be important as this is at the end of a long holiday.

Shame we couldn't have booked earlier, but we have been caught up in this BA strike here in Britain, and have ended up chanaging airline etc which made everything a bit uncertain.

After reading all reviews etc we decided to go with Stingray Sailing. Got an email overnight to say they are full for our date, but that if we turn up at the cruise terminal there is agood chance we will be able to go as often people don't turn up. If it is full they will point us in the direction of another ereputable tour operator.

Should we wait and take the risk or book with someone else. If we book now we don't need to take extra dollars as we will pay with credit card, which could be important as this is at the end of a long holiday.

Shame we couldn't have booked earlier, but we have been caught up in this BA strike here in Britain, and have ended up chanaging airline etc which made everything a bit uncertain.

Hey! the same thing has happened to us and we leave this sunday. Still trying to decide if to take the chance and wait. I think we will... Especially if they say they can help us find another reputable dealer. Let me know if anyone thinks we should do otherwise! Thanks :)

Hello all ~ I am going on my first cruise with my mom May 2nd and have booked with stingraysailing.com ~ My mom is not used to snorkeling and I haven't done it in a long time - but I hear such great things about this excursion "a not to be missed" that i decided to surprise her and book this one, and even if she isn't comfortable snorkeling or getting in the water with the stingrays she can at least enjoy the scenery and the catamaran ride (but i bet she will change her mind when we get there!):)(OP - sorry I jumped in on your post)

Archived