Signature Express Baggage Service

RayinIllinois

I plan to use this for my cruise. Surely Delta participates. What do they do if your bag is overweight and more money is needed? I do understand you can pay online for the baggage fee with Delta.

HAL will charge any baggage fees (e.g. paying for second bag, overweight etc.) to your onboard account.

My DH is convinced that express baggage is available on Med cruises...does anyone know? I'm doubtful. We have a non-stop Heathrow to Chicago O'Hare on American in May '10
No, it's only for 5 US ports plus Vancouver. Show him:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/CruisePreparation.action?tabName=Transportation&contentMenu=Arrival,+Boarding+%26+Disembarkation&contentSubMenu=Signature+Express+Baggage+Service

We used that service flying from Vancouver to a US airport. We were not charged for the 1 piece of luggage that we each had left in the hall to be picked up. They do not weigh the luggage either. We flew Northwest airlines. We got on a bus and stopped in a lot by the airport for Cadadian customs to come aboard and check our declarations. Then we moved on to a special entrance that took us through our own Canadian security and US customs that was separate from the rest of the airport. That took us about 20 minutes and we were on our way to our gate in the airport. The whole time from leaving the ship to our gate was about 1 hour. We even got a narrated-tour for free from the bus driver while we drove through the city to the airport.

Thank you for that information. I just returned from the Westminster Dog Show. Took only a carry on that held all the clothes needed. When I left NYC to return home my bag was stuffed full of doggie freebies given away at the show. I had to put my clothes in a sack. When my friend asked why I wouldn't check the bag, I told her it would cost $23 and I might as well throw all the free dog food out and buy a bag when I got home if I was going to do that. I hope that makes sense. I thought it was perfectly logical.

HAL will charge any baggage fees (e.g. paying for second bag, overweight etc.) to your onboard account.

Thank you for that information. I just returned from the Westminster Dog Show. Took only a carry on that held all the clothes needed. When I left NYC to return home my bag was stuffed full of doggie freebies given away at the show. I had to put my clothes in a sack. When my friend asked why I wouldn't check the bag, I told her it would cost $23 and I might as well throw all the free dog food out and buy a bag when I got home if I was going to do that. I hope that makes sense. I thought it was perfectly logical.

In that scenario ... an easy alternative would have been to eat the dog food ... likely better than airport food.:D

• 2 months later...

I've done this in another port, but understand Fort Lauderdale is different. At the other port the flight had to be after a certain time (noon?). We put the bags out the previous evening and didn't see them until our home airport.

Will we have to do something with our bags in the cruise terminal in Fort Lauderdale? What exactly? Will we have to do anything with them at the Fort Lauderdale airport? (We will have an afternoon flight on Continental.)

We've not had the opportunity to try this new service but it sounds interesting. We were going to use it out of Tampa but the ship was so late arriving and eventually clearing that they canceled it. :(

Archived