Princess Insurance Pre Existing Conditions

kruisey

I kind of misunderstood the Pre Existing condition clause in the contract.Then I phoned Berkley.

If your condition is stable for 60 days before cruise yes the insurance will pay for your evacuation off ship to the nearest hospital.They will not pay for your medical bills in the hospital if it is due to a pre existing condition.

Yes the new Princess Travel insurance really penalizes single travellers because it is charged by cost of cruise now.....Singles pay anything from 50 to 100% more for a cabin therefore much higher insurance costs then two sharing a cabin.

Hum is Princess giving we singles a hint.........;) Would anyone like to share a cabin with the 'Gold Medal ' champion snorer.;):D

We always use the cruise line insurance. :D

Since with Princess Insurance the price isn't based on age, and my DH is 'getting up there a bit' we have been taking princess insurance lately. As far as I know, they are all based on the cost of the cruise, whether Princess insurance or if you buy it from another source.

Since with Princess Insurance the price isn't based on age, and my DH is 'getting up there a bit' we have been taking princess insurance lately. As far as I know, they are all based on the cost of the cruise, whether Princess insurance or if you buy it from another source.

And the cancel for any reason clause too.

And the cancel for any reason clause too.

That is the part that sells me. Just in case something should happen, we can cancel and at least get a cruise credit in the amount we paid. Sometimes cancellations occur without it being a covered reason, and that sells me all by itself. ;)

Say two persons in a cabin with a balcony pay $300 each .A solo pays $600 insurance with Princess. Usually balcony cabins are double the price of one shared by two in the cabin.

And you think thats a fair deal ?

Well, presumably you want the full cost of your vacation covered by the trip cancellation/trip interruption coverage. If the single supplement is 100% of the cruise fare, then your higher premium is buying twice the coverage for cancellation or interruption. So it seems like a fair deal from that standpoint.

Just be aware of the "stable for 60 days" clause for covering pre-existing conditions. If the doctors so much as change the dose of a medication or start you on a new med that is considered a change in treatment which will generally exclude coverage of the pre-existing condition. I have had to do a lot of research into this as I cruise with my mother who has been undergoing cancer treatments for the past 3 1/2 years. Some companies will waive the 60 day requirement if you buy the insurance within a few days of booking the cruise but not all of them. And many of those who don't still list it as covering pre-existing conditions with an asterisk and then you have to search thru lots of fine print to find the clause. Anyone with a pre-existing condition really needs to do their homework on this.

You're not locked into buying Princess insurance, you are free to find a better deal elsewhere you know? :confused:

Yes your confused why should Princess make Solos seek their insurance elsewhere? .Are we more of a liability that we have to pay a much higher price under the new plan?

Just be aware of the "stable for 60 days" clause for covering pre-existing conditions. If the doctors so much as change the dose of a medication or start you on a new med that is considered a change in treatment which will generally exclude coverage of the pre-existing condition. I have had to do a lot of research into this as I cruise with my mother who has been undergoing cancer treatments for the past 3 1/2 years. Some companies will waive the 60 day requirement if you buy the insurance within a few days of booking the cruise but not all of them. And many of those who don't still list it as covering pre-existing conditions with an asterisk and then you have to search thru lots of fine print to find the clause. Anyone with a pre-existing condition really needs to do their homework on this.

Yep, I looked into it completely. And if there was a pre-existing condition, or even a change in meds, I would go to another type of policy beside Princess coverage. But so far so good, and none of that applies. But thanks for the heads up anyway. ;)

Well, presumably you want the full cost of your vacation covered by the trip cancellation/trip interruption coverage. If the single supplement is 100% of the cruise fare, then your higher premium is buying twice the coverage for cancellation or interruption. So it seems like a fair deal from that standpoint.

Thats the point one does not get twice the coverage.One gets the coverage for one person that pays half the price in a cabin for two.

Thats the point one does not get twice the coverage.One gets the coverage for one person that pays half the price in a cabin for two.

Something doesn't sound right here. If you paid the insurance on the price you paid for the cruise, the insurance (for a covered reason) would pay for the price you paid, not half that price.:confused:

Something doesn't sound right here. If you paid the insurance on the price you paid for the cruise, the insurance (for a covered reason) would pay for the price you paid, not half that price.:confused:

I would have to pay twice as much as you for the same service you would get from Princess Insurance

That is because for a solo traveler, to have your entire cruise cost covered, it will cost you double what it would cost for one of us sailing in the same category, as it is based on the price you paid. I agree, you probably don't get double the medical coverage as a solo, but it covers the cost you paid for your entire cruise, not half the cost of your cruise as you said (in a sense) in a prior post. The insurance covers a multitude of things, medical and cruise costs, and it is solely based on the price you paid for the cruise.

I see why they charge double since you are paying double for your cruise. It makes sense to me.

That is because for a solo traveler, to have your entire cruise cost covered, it will cost you double what it would cost for one of us sailing in the same category, as it is based on the price you paid. I agree, you probably don't get double the medical coverage as a solo, but it covers the cost you paid for your entire cruise, not half the cost of your cruise as you said (in a sense) in a prior post. The insurance covers a multitude of things, medical and cruise costs, and it is solely based on the price you paid for the cruise.

I see why they charge double since you are paying double for your cruise. It makes sense to me.

I am not talking just for myself but on behalf of all Solo cruisers.

You know we have a history .Lets leave it now....Kruisey:)

I am single and don't complain about the cost of insurance (through Princess or 3rd party - I usually get Access America). It is a small price to pay compared to the benefits one gets if one gets sick out of the country. Usually the cost I save by using a discount Travel Agent for a cruise as the savings makes up for the cost of insurance plus some. I consider it just another expense that is needed when I travel (you buy plane tickets, you buy cruise fare, you buy insurance, etc...).

I personally am not impressed with Princess's insurance (medical coverage is not that high and pre-existing conditions clause is confusing) so I usually seek insurance elsewhere. My agent has a policy that covers pre-existing conditions when purchased at final payment. Though I periodically double insurance due to my unique circumstances and different policies offers different items.

We all make choices. My house payment would cost me less if I was married and sharing the cost with a spouse, so would home owners insurance. But right now I want to be single and I understand it costs more that way.

I consider myself lucky to be able to afford to travel right now. There are so many people out of work and with out health insurance right now - we need to count our blessings that we are able to continue to travel.

Very well put Coral. And I totally understand when insureing double the cost of the cruise, why it would cost double for the insurance. Insurance is based on the cost you actually paid.

Kruisey, history off the boards has nothing to do with understanding why Princess charges double the insurance rate for solo travelers. And I do not agree that it is unfair to charge double for insureing double the cost for anyone. I would expect to pay the same if I were booking solo. :)

Very well put Coral. And I totally understand when insureing double the cost of the cruise, why it would cost double for the insurance. Insurance is based on the cost you actually paid.

Kruisey, history off the boards has nothing to do with understanding why Princess charges double the insurance rate for solo travelers. And I do not agree that it is unfair to charge double for insureing double the cost for anyone. I would expect to pay the same if I were booking solo. :)

Its a free world let people draw their own conclusions.I thought I would bring it to the attention of all.

Especially the pre existing clause were if stable for a certain number of days before cruise you do get paid for EM dispatch from ship. Medical and hospital bills are not covered.

With Princess Insurance one has to weigh up whether it is cheaper to have your trip refunded.Or with a pre existing condition if something goes wrong which will cost more in the end.

Would it therefore be safer to loose the cost of the cruise and take an Insurance Policy with another Company that covers some expenses for a pre existing condition.?

Many seniors will have concerns about this issue.It is worrying especially for those of us on fixed budgets.......

I read that Holland America is limiting solo travellers. I wonder if this will happen also with Princess which will solve this Insurance issue abruptly.

I kind of misunderstood the Pre Existing condition clause in the contract.Then I phoned Berkley.

If your condition is stable for 60 days before cruise yes the insurance will pay for your evacuation off ship to the nearest hospital.They will not pay for your medical bills in the hospital if it is due to a pre existing condition.

Thanks for the information.....definitely something to consider since I will now be on Medicare when we take our next cruise (29 day SYD to LA)...and having medical treatment is important since I do have some significant medical issues in my past.

I hadn't thought about this until you brought it up....thanks again.....

Its a free world let people draw their own conclusions.I thought I would bring it to the attention of all.

Especially the pre existing clause were if stable for a certain number of days before cruise you do get paid for EM dispatch from ship. Medical and hospital bills are not covered.

With Princess Insurance one has to weigh up whether it is cheaper to have your trip refunded.Or with a pre existing condition if something goes wrong which will cost more in the end.

Would it therefore be safer to loose the cost of the cruise and take an Insurance Policy with another Company that covers some expenses for a pre existing condition.?

Many seniors will have concerns about this issue.It is worrying especially for those of us on fixed budgets.......

I read that Holland America is limiting solo travellers. I wonder if this will happen also with Princess which will solve this Insurance issue abruptly.

Thanks for the information regarding the difference between medical evacuation and medical coverage.

But I also disagree with your assessment of the cost of single coverage. I always check multiple policies and all of them are based on price paid. Many of them also are based on age, but not all.

You will pay more for insurance in a balcony cabin than you will in an inside cabin, regardless of being a solo or double booking, simply because it costs more to be in a balcony room. The Princess insurance policy is based solely on the amount paid for your cruise, so if your cruise costs more for any reason (solo, room type, length of cruise) your insurance will also cost more. At least they do not also charge for your age.

Archived