port at Mykonos?

cherylterr

Our Solstice cruise in October tendered into Mykonos to the town of Mykonos (Chora). There was a ship that was docked a bit further up the coast from the town whose passengers were being bussed in. Don't know if we tendered because the ship was there or because the Solstice was too big for the dock!

On our Equinox cruise we actually docked. Late in the afternoon our Captain announced he was "racing" to Mykonos because a dock space was available to the first ship to arrive and 3 ships were on the way. He said docking was more "comfortable" for the passengers. So we arrived at midnight and he announced we were docking and we could go to town immediately.

The next day we had to pay $10 pp for a shuttle to the edge of town. It was another half mile+/- or so to get to town. We saw several other ships anchored and their passengers using tenders. The tender dock was right in the center of town at the main square. So they did not have to pay for a shuttle and were dropped off in a better location. A number of us joked that tendering was a better option than us docking.

We docked on Solstice in Nov 09 and it was the further dock - don't know about a 'newer' docking. Saw nothing under construction and didn't really see any place for a large ship such as Solstice. The other ship in port Tendered and it looked like a better deal as mentioned earlier - tendered into town.

We signed up for the Delos tour - caught the ferry right off the Solstice pier, sailed to Delos for an excellent tour and then ferrried to town. The shuttle back to Solstice was free as part of the tour.

You can walk to town and back to the ship but there are a few spots that get very tight on the road with shuttle buses and taxi's racing by - a bit tricky from what I saw riding in the shuttle with people hugging the roadside on the curves.

Denny

If you're listed as tendering then you'll very probably tender into the old harbour, right in the centre of Mykonos town. The alternative is to dock at Tourlas harbour, which is about 2 kms or so to the north of the town. Tourlas is the 'new' harbour: it's about 10 years old now, maybe a bit less. There's no other harbour on Mykonos big enough to accomodate today's cruise ships. There is a road connecting Tourlas with Mykonos town, and whenever a Celebrity ship docks there, they arrange for shuttle buses between Tourlas and the edge of town. Not free, unfortunately: when we were there in early October there was a $12 per person charge (though I think that was for the equivalent of all-day pass).

I said above that "if you're listed as tendering then you'll probably tender..." because it is possible that you might not. On our first X cruise in 2007, on Galaxy, we were scheduled to arrive at Mykonos at noon and tender. During the previous day (a sea day) there started to be announcements that we might in fact dock, and that people should get their shuttle tickets. That evening we were aware that Galaxy seemed to be hustling along quite quickly - there was a lot of vibration in the MDR, especially right at the stern. Sure enough, we arrived at Mykonos about 90 minutes early the following day, and docked at Tourlas.

I've never understood the factors that determine whether a ship docks or tenders at Mykonos. When we were there last year, Crown Princess was also present but tendered. I can say that in three visits I've never seen more than one cruise ship docked at Tourlas at the same time.

We were there in November on the Solstice. All the pre-cruise documentation said we'd tender, but once on the ship we found out we'd dock. That's usually a benefit in my eyes, but not at Mykonos. If you dock, you get to pay $10 per person to take a bus to/from town (as many times as you want all day.) But a Princess ship tendered and they got let off at a very convenient part of town. That's the only port I've ever been to where I'd rather tender than dock.

Archived