What Should I do...

bluehenfan

I am taking my 72 yo aunt on a 4 nite cruise in late June. She is a little mentally challenged and has lived a very sheltered life. She knows I love to cruise and called me out of the blue to ask me to take her on a cruise. She refuses to fly but luckily lives an hour from port canaveral. I'm flying down there to get her and take her to the port. She doesn't have a drivers license, but does have some kind of ID that was issued at motor vehicle in Florida. Of course she doesn't have a passport, but does have a birth certificate with a raised seal. Will the birth certificate and ID from Fl. motor vehicle be enough to get her onto the ship and will it be enough ID if she wants to get off the ship in Nassau ?? I am paying for her cruise and any other expenses because she has a limited income. I really want to do this for her, but really don't want the expense of a passport she'll never use again. Has anyone gotten one of the passport cards ? I'm thinking that might be an option but I see it being very confusing trying to arrange for her to apply for one and I live 1,200 miles from her. I can't take her to the post office to turn in her application, etc. If the birth cert. and motor vehicle ID would do the trick it would be a great help. Anyone ever use a MV issued ID other than a reg. license ??

If it's a closed loop cruise, all she needs is the official birth certificate and the FL motor vehicle issued ID (assuming this has her picture on it). Passport card really is for people who make frequent border crossings to/from Canada/Mexico. You don't need one for this.

Please don't depend upon a BB to answer this important question for you. Call the cruise line and ask about your specific cruise.

How disappointing it would be (and costly) if you appear at the dock and she is refused boarding because her ID was not sufficient.

You're doing a lovely thing and hope you both make wonderful memories.

I am taking my 72 yo aunt on a 4 nite cruise in late June. She is a little mentally challenged and has lived a very sheltered life. She knows I love to cruise and called me out of the blue to ask me to take her on a cruise. She refuses to fly but luckily lives an hour from port canaveral. I'm flying down there to get her and take her to the port. She doesn't have a drivers license, but does have some kind of ID that was issued at motor vehicle in Florida. Of course she doesn't have a passport, but does have a birth certificate with a raised seal. Will the birth certificate and ID from Fl. motor vehicle be enough to get her onto the ship and will it be enough ID if she wants to get off the ship in Nassau ?? I am paying for her cruise and any other expenses because she has a limited income. I really want to do this for her, but really don't want the expense of a passport she'll never use again. Has anyone gotten one of the passport cards ? I'm thinking that might be an option but I see it being very confusing trying to arrange for her to apply for one and I live 1,200 miles from her. I can't take her to the post office to turn in her application, etc. If the birth cert. and motor vehicle ID would do the trick it would be a great help. Anyone ever use a MV issued ID other than a reg. license ??

Just for my own comfort level I'd probably call the cruise line and ask, but a state-issued MV ID should work fine, and it does sound like the birth certificate is the proper kind as well. Have a lovely cruise!

(The passport card, by the way, really isn't a good option. They're only really meant for people who drive across the border on a regular basis; like, they live in the US but work in Canada. Or are frequent visitors by car. So if you DO decide to go the route of getting a passport -- you'd want to get the "real deal". But it won't be necessary for this cruise.)

Please be sure to check with the cruise line. I can tell you that a state issued ID card is not sufficient to get a passport. They do require a drivers license.

The government website gives quite a few options for proof of identification:

-Previously issued, undamaged U.S. passport

-Naturalization Certificate

-Valid Driver's License

-Current Government ID (city, state or federal)

-Current Military ID (military and dependents)

Please be sure to check with the cruise line. I can tell you that a state issued ID card is not sufficient to get a passport. They do require a drivers license.

Really ,, so only people that can drive can get passports in your country.How very odd! Does that make sense to you?

Did you mean a birth certificate? Just as an example, it might be a bit rough for a 7 yr old to get a driver's license:D:eek::D

Really ,, so only people that can drive can get passports in your country.How very odd! Does that make sense to you?

That doesn't make sense to me either. Children get passports all the time, and they can't drive. Any government issued ID plus birth certificate will do.

I got Passports for each of my grandkids when they were born. (Well, I paid for them. Mom and Dad actually got them). On their 5th birthday, they will each get new ones. Hard to imagine that cute newborn with a DL! (Hard to imagine the Mom (my DD) with a DL at age 16!) We feared for our lives.

Although we have traveled with passports for years please make sure she has a PICTURE ID.

Some states offer a senior's ID that does not have a picture. My mother lives in Tennessee and her driver's license does not have a picture. We have tried to get her on a ship for years and her latest excuse is - no photo - no go!!!

I got off the ship in San Juan before sailing and got the third degree because I did not have a photo (or purse for that matter.) My boarding pass was not sufficient. My DH finally went back to the cabin and brought me my ID.

You can get a state ID if she doesn't have one. Its not a driver's license but it is an official Florida state ID. All adults are supposed to have one so I am betting your aunt already has one.

If I lived closer, I would help her get the ID but I am quite a ways from Port Canaveral. Does she have a friend or someone from her church or other social organization that might be able to help her?

You can get a state ID if she doesn't have one. Its not a driver's license but it is an official Florida state ID. All adults are supposed to have one so I am betting your aunt already has one.

If I lived closer, I would help her get the ID but I am quite a ways from Port Canaveral. Does she have a friend or someone from her church or other social organization that might be able to help her?

I believe this state ID is the type she currently has. You are so sweet to say you would help if you lived closer. I actually have a cousin who stops in to see my Aunt now and then just to keep tabs on her. We have never been close so I've kind of lost touch with her, but am going to see if my Aunt has her address and phone number. I am going to call Carnival and see what they say about the ID as suggested here. After posting my original message yesterday my grand daughter called me from college and said if I wanted the two of us could go on a "road trip" during her spring break next month and drive to my Aunt's in FL to check out the birth cert. and her FL ID. Thanks to all of you who replied so quickly.

I work with disabled ladies. I took them on a cruise in 2005 but had to get them non driver's ID from the DMV. This is a state issued photo ID that is required. I am taking them on another cruise in 2011 and I am going to get them all passports - just in case. You may not need it for the cruise, but if something happened you need it to fly home. You are not allowed back into the US without a passport if you fly.

State issued non drivers photo ID is ok. (at least from NY)

In CA the only difference between a DL and an ID is they name on the top. They look exactly the same.

Might be different in Rhode Island?

I willl say that depending on who you get at port Twelvevman might have run into this situation.

The government website gives quite a few options for proof of identification:

-Previously issued, undamaged U.S. passport

-Naturalization Certificate

-Valid Driver's License

-Current Government ID (city, state or federal)

-Current Military ID (military and dependents)

A government ID is for someone who works for the government. A state issued photo ID is not sufficient for an ADULT to get a passport. Of course a child under the drinving age would not have one. My wife does not drive so she was not able to obtain her passport without providing secondary identification and I had to fill out Form DS-71: Affidavit of Identifying Witness. The state issued identification card is not recognized by the Department of State.

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

Primary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (One of the following):

check.gif

Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport

check.gif

Certified
issued by the city, county or state*

check.gif

check.gif

Naturalization Certificate

check.gif

Certificate of Citizenship

When applying for a U.S. passport in person, evidence of U.S. citizenship must be submitted with Form DS-11. All documentation submitted as citizenship evidence will be returned to you. These documents will be delivered with your newly issued U.S. passport or in a separate mailing.

Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport

Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state*

Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth

Certificate of Citizenship

When applying for a U.S. passport in person, acceptable identification must be presented at the time of application.

Primary Identification (One of the following):

Previously issued, undamaged U.S. passport

Valid Driver's License

Current Government ID (city, state or federal)

Current Military ID (military and dependents)

If you cannot present primary identification, you must submit as much secondary identification as possible. See the information below to determine what documents to submit as secondary identification. Each application is handled on a case-by-case basis. The information below is intended as general guidance.

A Combination of Signature Documents

If you
cannot
present
, you should submit a
combination
of signature documents. These types of documents are
not
acceptable as ID when presented
alone

Example
: Social Security Card
+
Credit Card
+
Employee ID
+
Library Card

An Identifying Witness (Witness must be present at the time of application)

An identifying witness is a person who can swear to your identity. He or she
must
:

• Have known you for at least
    2 years

• Be a
    U.S. citizen
    or
    permanent resident

• Have
    valid ID

• Fill out
    Form DS-71
    : Affidavit of Identifying Witness in the
    presence
    of a Passport Agent

1) I agree with S7S and others...I think you are OK, but check with the cruise line.

2) How is her health otherwise? Did you get Trip Insurance for her for any potential medical issues? Do you realize that with the current ID if she has a medical issue on shore or needs to be evacuated to a non US port she will not be able to fly home with out a Passport?

Just some thoughts to consider

Archived