? about bringing sea shells ect. back on the ship

abaci

So I have not seen it discussed about bringing shells, sand dollars, ect that you find while swimming and snorkling back onto the ship. Can you do this or will they collect the items? I would think that it would be fine, but wondering if maybe you can't because it is wildlife or something like that.

So I have not seen it discussed about bringing shells, sand dollars, ect that you find while swimming and snorkling back onto the ship. Can you do this or will they collect the items? I would think that it would be fine, but wondering if maybe you can't because it is wildlife or something like that.

Yes, it's "wildlife or something like that". You live in Green Bay .. is that here in Wisconsin? And you ask about moving sea life from one area to another, with all the trouble we have here with zebra mussels invading Great Lakes waters, restrictions about having to wash our boats thoroughly when moving from lake to lake, not even being able to take firewood from one county to another??

There are major restrictions on what you can and cannot take, and how to prove that you've bought something from a store (that has been sterilized and treated) as opposed to simply picked up. So unless you find out for certain, better to admire in place, and swim on.

Many places discourage you from taking part of their beach away....even in Va. Beach, there are signs asking you NOT to remove sand and stuff from the beach....I'm pretty sure someone taking the odd shell or two has never been arrested, tho....

Yes, it's "wildlife or something like that". You live in Green Bay .. is that here in Wisconsin? And you ask about moving sea life from one area to another, with all the trouble we have here with zebra mussels invading Great Lakes waters, restrictions about having to wash our boats thoroughly when moving from lake to lake, not even being able to take firewood from one county to another??

Not sure if your comparision is quite the same as an shell, etc. Wood can't be moved due to the emarld ash bore which will attack and kill trees, and zebra muscles are carried from one place and dropped off in a another habitat were they can survive.

Taking a shell and setting it on a shelf is alot different then your examples. And yes Green Bay is the one is Wisconsin, actually I don't think there is another Green Bay.

You will find that US agriculture inspection focuses more on bringing fruits and vegetables back into the US than untreated shells, though you are not supposed to do either I believe.

Thanks for answering my question. I know they due focus on Fruits and Veggies, but was wondering if it was frownd upon. The only threads I found on taking stuff out of the water was sea glass.

We brought a big conch shell home from Grand Caymen....My youngest DD brought it up while snorkeling. She carried it proudly onto the ship. No one said a word. :confused: It's sitting on her dresser right now. Funny, DH had to wolf down the banana he grabbed at the buffet before we left the ship that same morning. :o

~Connie

Yes you can and you will be fine. We always do and I have my office full of shells I have picked up and bought along with sand that I bring back from every single beach we visit. The best way to wrap them for safe travel is to roll them in your dirty clothes so they make it home safe. Happy sailing!

I personally would not remove anything from it's natural habitat (underwater) - but figure that anything that has washed up on shore is fair game. I usually put a ziploc bag or two in my backpack on beach days to collect them. I've also purchased inexpensive conch from street vendors - I figure the meat did not go to waste and they are nice and clean.

• 2 weeks later...
In some places like the US Virgin Islands it is against the law to take shells from the beach out of the country.

I'm more than sure that there are other islands there which also have similar laws. But unfortunately there are folks who are pretty sure that those laws don't apply to them...thus all the suggestions in this thread of how to work around the laws..or ignore them..

• 3 weeks later...

We took small snack sized ziplock bags and brought back about a tablespoon of sand and some small shells from each port we were in. Nobody said anything, even when we went through customs. We then made a memory box and added pictures, the sand in a small round container (for beads) and the shells. :)

On our last cruise, in Grand Cayman our excursion boat was allowed to get up to 10 conch for us to have for lunch. We were able to bring the empty shell back with us, and it sits up on our mantle. There were no questions asked.

Archived