Help! Will We Feel Too Much Movement in Aft Cabin?

Ash's Aunt

I'm cruising in May on the Emerald Princess with two friends who sometimes get motion sickness in cars. (They plan to wear the patch for motion sickness). We're currently booked in a PS suite on Caribe, C749. I've been reading threads that talk about lots of movement in the aft cabins.

Would we feel less movement in the PH suites on Riviera (which are mid ship)? If there's less movement, is it significantly less?

We were on an Med cruise on the Emerald in 2007 ..on the Caribe deck...aft cabin...

We felt no unusual motion at all...nor vibration from engines, etc...

We loved it...very quiet as there was no traffic in the hallways...

I'm cruising in May on the Emerald Princess with two friends who sometimes get motion sickness in cars. (They plan to wear the patch for motion sickness). We're currently booked in a PS suite on Caribe' date=' C749. I've been reading threads that talk about lots of movement in the aft cabins.

Would we feel less movement in the PH suites on Riviera (which are mid ship)? If there's less movement, is it significantly less?[/quote']

This all will depend on the conditon of the seas when you sail. We have had both the midship suites and aft suites. If the seas become rough, you will feel more motion aft then you would in a midship suite.

We just got off the Star in one of the aft suites (C750). This was the first time we've ever had to take anything for motion sickness, and it was not the worst conditions we've ever been in (the captain of that cruise happened to be on our cruise, and, two years later, when we ask what the wave conditions were, he just said "it was bad. It was really bad".

We think it was the constant vibration of the ship combined with medium seas and high winds.

Also, when pulling into port it could be very noisy and the room shakes a lot. Next time we decide we can spring for a suite, we'll go to the PH midship.

I did like looking at the wake, though, and there wasn't a lot of hallway noise back there.

If your friends get motion sickness in an automobile, your best bet is to change cabins to midship. We were in an aft cabin on the Millinieum during some rough seas 2 years ago and we really felt the rocking and rolling, not bad for us but it sounds like that may diminish your friends experience on your cruise. We had friends midship that cruise and the motion was much less noticable in their cabin than ours in the aft!

As Toto said, it all depends on the condition of the seas (weather), the question you want to ask your self "Am I feeling lucky"?

Have a great time!

I knew you all would be able to help me. I'll be calling the travel agent this morning to move to a midship cabin. I was really looking forward to the aft cabin but my friends have never cruised and I just don't want to take any chances.

Thanks for your help.

You will feel a kind of "shimmy" when laying in bed. This is from the propellers that are basically under you. Since the beds are turned 90 degrees from the side balcony rooms, the "shimmy" is side to side.

You will also have more noise from the propellers churning. Princess has a conventional propeller system, and unlike the new Azipod propulson, it seems a bit louder with the standard system.

You will be all over the ship during the day---it's really only for sleeping that you will be in the cabin for a lengthy time.....if it's rough, you'll feel it everywhere...even midships. if it's calm and smooth, no problem anywhere!

Most passengers booking a full suite spend a bit more time in their stateroom then those staying in other accomodations. I would guess the OP would also like her friends to 'enjoy the full suite' and it's ammenities if they choose to do so. But if it is too rough for them, they may ruin their first experience.

So, I still agree, the aft is not really what I would consider the best 'first cruise experience' for anyone that has any problems with motion sickness, or doesn't know if they might have. ;)

I enjoy the aft cabins. Yes, there is a gentle rocking. You would feel less mid-ship, but realize you also get more noise from the pool deck. According to other posts. I guess it's a trade off in your case.

Another thing to consider is that you will feel more movement on higher decks. We prefer cabins where the head to foot of the bed is bow to stern, then we get kind of rocked at night. Our cabin on the Emerald had the bed the other way and while it was never an issue (and we had some significant seas) it's more peaceful the other way. Your worst days will occur while crossing the caribbean sea--usually the first day at sea from Florida so definately have them pre-dose their meds to be sure they are ok. We loved the Emerald, she is a wonderful ship.

I knew you all would be able to help me. I'll be calling the travel agent this morning to move to a midship cabin. I was really looking forward to the aft cabin but my friends have never cruised and I just don't want to take any chances.
Depending on the seas and the height/direction of the waves, the Caribe aft cabin will feel less movement than a cabin on Riviera deck, even a mid-ship cabin. The higher the deck, the more movement. It's not a direct analogy, but think of a speed boat on a lake... the back of the boat is more stable than the front, which goes up and down in the waves.

Just off Ruby Southern Caribbean, the higher up you are and further back or forward the more movement you will feel.

We did not have rough seas-very smooth to mild seas, however alot of people were not feeling well on our cruise because of the ships movement, however we like it. Good Luck!

Although we did feel more motion in our aft cabin, the seas were fairly mild and we did not experience any motion sickness. However, the one thing that did bother us was that the empty hangars in the closet kept banging together. The first night we got up and took all of the unused hangars down and laid them on the floor so we could get to sleep. :p

the one thing that did bother us was that the empty hangars in the closet kept banging together. The first night we got up and took all of the unused hangars down and laid them on the floor so we could get to sleep. :p

Absolutely love an aft cabin. Same problem though, I also check the hangers before going to bed...lol:D

Anthony

However, the one thing that did bother us was that the empty hangars in the closet kept banging together. The first night we got up and took all of the unused hangars down and laid them on the floor so we could get to sleep. :p
This is fairly common. I usually put one unused hanger between each one in use and push them close together (but not so my clothes are scrunched); this helps eliminate the banging without having to put them on the floor.

I am very prone to seasickness but love the aft cabins. I need to take extra seasickness meds when in these cabins though. Without meds, I could not sail in an aft cabin because of the extra movement. Even with meds, sometimes I need to get up to mid-ship and sit outside to settle my seasickness. I tried the motion sick patch but got vision side effects so had to stop using it.

Since you are choosing a PS suite anyways, I would consider carefully whether there are any benefits to aft suite as compared to mid-ships suite, given that there is less ship motion mid-ships and your friends are prone to motion sickness.

Archived