Injured on Cruise Ship?

momdabomb

I never got the impression that the OP was wanting a large settlement from a personal injury lawsuit. I got the impression that she was seeking an apology from management about how not one staff person seemed concerned while she was lying on the ground.

You are correct. I did ask for some compensation while on board (a pass to the spa so I could relax in the saunas since I was unable to do any of our planned shore excursions) but that was denied.

Have you contacted Carnival Customer Service? Instead of venting here that might be a good idea. Who knows you might actually get what you say you are looking for.

That is part of the reason I am posting here.....is to find out who I should contact.

An elderly friend of mine walked in the front door of a supermarket and slipped and fell in some sort of liquid that had been spilled on the floor. He injured his back. He hired an attorney but never got anywhere with it. He finally dropped it after the expense of the attorney got to be too much.

You are correct. I did ask for some compensation while on board (a pass to the spa so I could relax in the saunas since I was unable to do any of our planned shore excursions) but that was denied.

That is part of the reason I am posting here.....is to find out who I should contact.

That sounds like a reasonable request to me. We are slowely getting information from you, that is good. Call Carnival at 1-888-227-6482 and ask for Customer Service.

No...I was not charged for the treatment. I was given an ace bandage, Motrin, crutches, and a wheel chair. I filled out an incident report with security while downstairs at the infirmary.

That is what I was hoping,

If you had been charged that would have been the icing on the cake,

I hope you feel better soon, and get the justice you are looking for.

I'm sorry you were injured. It's good that you filled out an accident report right away. Did you get a copy of that? If not, that would be one thing to get for sure, if you're going to pursue this.

I am surprised that at least some of the crew didn't come running! When I was on another ship (not Carnival), and through my own carelessness was thrown from my wheelchair, a whole bunch of crew came running -- at least 6 people -- to help me up and back into my chair, encouraging me to go to the infirmary, checking on me to be sure I was OK. Once I was back in my stateroom, I received one call that night, and another the next morning, and for the rest of the cruise, whenever I was spotted by one of them, they always came up to ask how I was..

I hope things work out for you.

OP, if you were treated in the infirmary and/or filed a report on board, you should have an incident or report number. Whether you have a number or not, you can call and ask for Carnival Guest Services by calling 1-800-327-9501. They should be able to help you more than we can.

And here is their address:

Carnival Cruise Lines

3655 NW 87th Avenue

Miami, FL 33178

An elderly friend of mine walked in the front door of a supermarket and slipped and fell in some sort of liquid that had been spilled on the floor. He injured his back. He hired an attorney but never got anywhere with it. He finally dropped it after the expense of the attorney got to be too much.

That is strange, a friend of mine slipped in a puddle of liquid (he thinks is was PeePee) on the floor at a supermarket also, he sued and got $42,000 his was at the MegalowMart, in Arliene TX.

No wait that is and episode of "King of the Hill".

Just Kiddin

It certainly sounds to me like he/she is expecting more than just an apology!

OP Wrote:

Has anyone gotten hurt on a ship due to negligence? What, if anything, was done for you? In addition to being injured, I feel that I was treated badly by the staff and NEED to start writing letters, but don't know where to start. Any ideas?

I never got the impression that the OP was wanting a large settlement from a personal injury lawsuit. I got the impression that she was seeking an apology from management about how not one staff person seemed concerned while she was lying on the ground.

With a sprained ankle, I doubt you would be able to make it up the steps to the hot tub pool in the spa. There's stairs leading to the pool (no elevator), and there's steps leading down into the pool. I can see why they denied you the pass as they did not want you to injure yourself further.

Are we not responsible AT ALL any longer, for looking out for ourselves to some degree?? Come ON!! There was some water spilled on the floor!! And you slipped! Have you never slipped on your kitchen or bathroom floor? What about a slippery walkway? It is unfortunate and I am sorry you got hurt, but to look at it as a cash cow is just completely representative of our overly litigious society of today. This is why our insurance premiums have skyrocketed. If you were well enough to get back up and clean up the spill yourself, I'm not surprised that the staff carried on with their business. It likely didn't look like you were seriously injured if your main concern was cleaning up the mess and not complaining about your injury. I'm sorry that the staff didn't stop what they were doing to check on your well-being, (that is unfortunate) but what do you want out of this? At some point I think we need to take some responsibility for not watching what we are doing! It was an ACCIDENT!!!

I agree, well said.

I cant imagine water being on a cruise ship thats has pools and thats surrounded by water.

I'm sorry to hear you were injured and ignored. I'm surprised and disappointed that no one checked on you when it happened, as the injuries I've witnessed have always been met with a speedy response from the crew.

On my last cruise, my 3-year-old accidently walked into a knife that the head waiter was holding. (It left a little red mark on her shoulder, but didn't break the skin and cleared up pretty quickly.) Anyway, right after it happened, the dining room staff swarmed in around us to make sure she was ok. When they found out that she wasn't seriously hurt, they then buzzed around her and doted on her like she was royalty, presenting her with chocolate milk, cookies and ice cream, one treat right after the other.

That same cruise, I saw a fellow passenger slip and fall on the lido deck right next to the "Caution: Wet Floor" pylon. She sent a plate full of food crashing to the floor, and since she was just a teen, she was more embarrassed than injured. The crew swarmed around her as well, including security. They sat her in a chair at one of the tables and asked her a bunch of questions about what happened and whether she was injured and needed medical attention. She was fine, but as I mentioned, just really embarrassed.

My understanding is that the Saunas in the spa are free?? hmmmmm.......

With a sprained ankle, I doubt you would be able to make it up the steps to the hot tub pool in the spa. There's stairs leading to the pool (no elevator), and there's steps leading down into the pool. I can see why they denied you the pass as they did not want you to injure yourself further.

I wasn't referring to the pool....I was referring to the sauna and lounging area that you must pay for. It's located on the 11th deck with full elevator access.

My understanding is that the Saunas in the spa are free?? hmmmmm.......

Not on the Splendor! We paid $250.00 extra for the spa package which included the saunas, heated mosaic chairs, steam room. Each day you used the spa, they gave you a wrist ban so that personnel knew that you paid for the service. If you had a spa room on the Splendor, then all spa privileges are included in your cruise package.

P.S. Which IMHO, it wasn't worth the $250.00 extra that we paid--waste of money! We will not ever do that again.

US federal law makes it illegal for a cruise company to disclaim liability for its negligence that causes a physical injury to a passenger(they have had to so something wrong however that caused the accident). They can however require that you sue in a specific forum.

Carnival requires these lawsuit to be brought in Florida.

To be perfectly blunt however, unless its more than a sprain, you should just either write a letter or forget about it, or forget about it. Most people who collect a fair amount of money had something broken, a disfiguring injury or something more serious than a sprain...no matter how bad.

Who called the infirmary to bring you a wheelchair? I didn't say that it was your fault, or that you weren't injured. I said that accidents happen but can be avoided by paying closer attention and that if you were able to worry about mopping up the mess I can imagine that it might have looked like you weren't as seriously hurt as you ended up being. And if you aren't paying attention then I think you take on some of the responsibility. It was a slip. An accident. It is unfortunate that you were injured, but accidents happen. "ooops, I slipped!" Get on with life. They took you to the infirmary and treated your injury for free. Why do you think you are otherwise entitled to anything more? Including a spa pass?

I never said I was well enough to get back up....i was on the ground for 10 minutes until the party I was with helped me into a chair that was nearby. I was also taken to the infirmary in a wheelchair. My ankle was exremely swollen and bruised and I was in a lot of pain. How is this MY fault?? There was a patch of water on the floor that I didn't see until after I was laying on the ground. I did grab a napkin that was on a table next to me and threw it over the water so nobody else would fall....so this means I wasn't injured?

What do I want out of this? I want recognition by them that I was hurt due to their negligence. I want an apology for the Maiter D calling me a liar to my face when I explained to him how the dining room staff reacted when I fell. You are wrongly assuming that I'm looking at this as a cash cow.

If this accident happened in a public area and an accident report was filed, I would venture to say that Carnival's ship staff and home office legal staff has already reviewed the video tape and determined that know other action on Carnival's part is required.

Are we not responsible AT ALL any longer, for looking out for ourselves to some degree?? Come ON!! There was some water spilled on the floor!! And you slipped! Have you never slipped on your kitchen or bathroom floor? What about a slippery walkway? It is unfortunate and I am sorry you got hurt, but to look at it as a cash cow is just completely representative of our overly litigious society of today. This is why our insurance premiums have skyrocketed. If you were well enough to get back up and clean up the spill yourself, I'm not surprised that the staff carried on with their business. It likely didn't look like you were seriously injured if your main concern was cleaning up the mess and not complaining about your injury. I'm sorry that the staff didn't stop what they were doing to check on your well-being, (that is unfortunate) but what do you want out of this? At some point I think we need to take some responsibility for not watching what we are doing! It was an ACCIDENT!!!

Just saying..you might want to read the "If you have nothing nice to say" thread..:)

On a cruise in 08 aboard the Victory....it was very foggy making the floors very slippery. I was wearing sneakers most of the time and had to walk very carefully

My friend fell one morning getting coffee and she wound up breaking her arm. She fell the day before we got back....she found out it was broke when she went to her DR.

She did try to sue....I believe she even went to Fl....for some reason with this lawsuit. I dont' think she got anything honesty. BTW....she said nobody came to help her either.

K

Archived