Which Alaskan route is best?

mjroseville

I'm a busy mom trying to plan our 10th anniversary celebration cruise up to Alaska. We need to choose from the two options from Seattle -- Glacier Bay or Sawyer Glacier. Anyone have strong feelings about which route is better? The main thing we want to see is a glacier, but otherwise we don't have any significant preferences. We're just looking forward to a quiet, kid-free getaway and pretty scenery. We don't know much about Alaska and unfortunately don't have as much time as we'd like to really research this trip.

Also, any recommendations for shore excursions are appreciated! We're not too adventurous, but are willing to broaden our horizons with trips we might not normally consider.

We've been on NCL before about five years ago, so we are familiar with the pluses of this cruise line.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

We are on the Pearl, this July,for a round trip to Glacier Bay. Its our 4 trip to Alaska and Glacier bay is a must.

Do your self a favor and book a balcony on the Port side. As you enter Glacier Bay National Park, all the glaciers are on the port side. At the end of the entry the ship does a 180 degree turn to leave, so the starboard side does not get a lot of "hang" time to glacier watch. This rotation is the time for you to go topside for more viewing and talking to the ranger. A lot of people go up at the start and then get cold so a lot less people for the last part of the glacier viewing. We have been on this cruise 3 time and it is superb.

I have personally sailed both these routes many times. With your "glacier" priority, the ONLY choice is Glacier Bay.

With the Tracy Arm itinerary, I always recommend "as necessary" NCL's add on Tracy Arm boat tour- FAR superior to anything seen from the cruise ship, and far closer look at the glacier. Be prepared for last minute changes to Endicott Arm. Having sailed all the cruise ship glacier areas- this is way down the pole on my glacier scale. :)

At the end of the entry the ship does a 180 degree turn to leave, so the starboard side does not get a lot of "hang" time to glacier watch. This rotation is the time for you to go topside for more viewing and talking to the ranger.QUOTE]

This is not accurate, it is extremely RARE for a 180 turn, I've only had one instance of this. All others did the 360 then 180 and left.

I do have to say, however, the Pearl has some of the crappiest upper deck viewing in my experience (63 cruises). All high plexiglass and front sides obstructed. I ONLY recommend the open deck 7, and walking across to the other side as needed- no forward open view.

Archived