Costa Europa / Thompson Dream accident

Sad news and sympathies must be extended to the familes of the people who died. From a personal point of view, I wonder if thsi will have any effect on the handover to Thomson's?

Totally agree, it is always sad when there is loss of life.

Here is a link to the original message on the CC Costa board, says the Europa is taking on water (don't know if the OP is a passenger):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1151797

The Costa Europa is / was due to complete its current cruise in Savona on 4th.March, then two more cruises Savona / Dubai 4th. March - 22nd. March and Dubai / Venice 22nd. March - 9th. April.

When is the first cruise of the Thompson Dream ?? April 2010?

I don't think this accident will have any impact on the handover, first there is at least 6 weeks to go, second it depends on the damage i.e. above the water line is of course a lot easier than below the water line, then the ship would have to be dry docked. I would presume that if the ship cannot be repaired by 4th. March then the remaining cruises would be cancelled or at least shortened or a new itinerary.

Ron

actually 1st cruise is 22nd april from palma . Im on it . 5 nighter.

Im concerned now, i hope they dont cancel.

Yes you are correct. When I did a search on the Thomson website, I was selecting 7 nights, so your cruise did not show up. Thanks for the info. Hope you will still be able to go on it.

We were in Sharm on Celebration 2 weeks ago, when Costa's brand new ship came and moored behind us. The contrast between them was vast- one a little ex-HAL ship doing 7 nights round the Red Sea, the other a gleaming giant on her way to her naming ceremony in Dubai. The talk turned to Costa Europa, and so many people had booked her, and were eagerly waiting for her hand over.

Our thoughts are with the families of those who died, and all the crew who will be in shock.

jocap.

I do hope the ship hasn't lost any structural integrity. It seems really queer that not long before thompson took over the calypso it had a bit of a major fire. But I believe the calypso is doing well. So fingers crossed the dream will do well.

But rip to sailors

stitch

Interesting report, opens with a comment that Costa will have to pay for the pier repair, only then mentioning the crew deaths, it then blames the captain before the enquiry is over.

nothing like an impartial enquiry eh folks :rolleyes:

Interesting report, opens with a comment that Costa will have to pay for the pier repair, only then mentioning the crew deaths, it then blames the captain before the enquiry is over.

nothing like an impartial enquiry eh folks :rolleyes:

Hi Dave,

That's what I was thinking.

Mind you the Costa CEO complaining that an unexpected wind blow pushed it against the dock when it's trying to dock in the middle of a storm is a

bit lame.

Hi Dave,

That's what I was thinking.

Mind you the Captain complaining that an unexpected wave pushed it against the dock when he's trying to dock in the middle of a storm is a

bit lame.

Last week a tall ship sailing on fairly calm seas off Brazil sank in less than a minute after a squall came from nowhere. Fortunately the 64 people on board - mainly student - escpaed alive & well.

The sea and winds can change in a split second. In 2005 when approaching Ushuaia aboard Norwegian Crown, the winds & currents whipped up hard without notice, the captain & pilot had to have the anchors dropped to slow us down otherwise we would have slammed the quayside.

Saying it is a lame excuse is pretty ungracious. Rogue waves happen anywhere and at any time...even QE2 was subject to one of over 80ft tall once. Just cos the Red Sea is an enclosed sea does not mean that it will be calm 365 days of the year, if anything enclosed seas like the Red, Black & Med are more prone to heavy & unpredictable seas that the oceans. Fill your kitchen sink with water, swish the water around and it gets rough, being in an enclosed area there is nowhere for it to dissipate to and as it gets to the edges those currents and waves get stronger.

So please, before you call anyone's decision or reason 'lame', think about what those crew went through that night and how they are feeling about it.

How are you and your wife feeling about your upcoming cruise on Dream at the moment Cmyro? I've never been on a ship before, and I'd be a liar if I said the thought of future problems with it hadn't crossed my mind. I do worry about everything though:eek:

It's only 7 weeks until Thompson take it on it's first cruise on the 22nd April, does anyone know when it was to make it's last cruise for Costa, I wonder if it will affect the handover.

How are you and your wife feeling about your upcoming cruise on Dream at the moment Cmyro? I've never been on a ship before, and I'd be a liar if I said the thought of future problems with it hadn't crossed my mind. I do worry about everything though:eek:

It's only 7 weeks until Thompson take it on it's first cruise on the 22nd April, does anyone know when it was to make it's last cruise for Costa, I wonder if it will affect the handover.

Hi,

I'm OK about it, but Mrs. is worried about any repair leaking when we're aboard. If she's repaired in time, but they've got 8 weeks approx for that.

She loves the cruising but is always worried about being too close to the water. So I have to book cabins as high up as we can afford.

If you worried about everything though you wouldn't get on the plane to go to Palma. Cruising and flying are much safer than driving your car.

The Costa Europa had two remaining cruises before the handover, 4th. March Savona / Dubai and 22nd. March - 9th. April Dubai /Savona. Both these cuises have been removed from all Costa web sites.

Ron

Cymro, I'm not over keen on the flying bit either:eek: I'm glad you're going first then, if your wife can do it so can I, I just won't be watching Titanic before I go:D

I wonder if they've cancelled their last 2 cruises. I'm off to look on the Costa forum.

HI,

Ron's just answered your 2nd part . Yes They have.

Mrs. is so bad I have to use a crowbar to get her on the plane. She's usually fine when we get there though.

She hadn't cruised before we went in April 2008 and was nervous, but loves it now as long as we don't go for a cabin in the lower decks where you can see the waves going past the portholes

Best to keep off Disaster movies till you get back. :D

I am browsing around at alternative holidays just in case she's not fixed in time though.

If you read Ron's post before your last one, he has already said that the last two cruises have been removed from Costa websites.

However that DOES NOT MEAN they are definitely cancelled as yet...no official word has come from Costa since it is still too early to know the full extent of the damage or how long it will take to repair.

Found this on Thomsons news page

http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/travel-news/latest-travel-information.html

Latest news - Costa Europa/Thomson Dream

Costa Cruises have informed us that Costa Europa hit the pier while docking in Sharm El Sheikh port on Friday 26th February. Costa Europa is due to join the Thomson fleet as Thomson Dream in April 2010 and at this time normal booking conditions apply for all customers booked to travel. More information will be communicated as soon as it is available.

Sue

Archived