Costa Europa / Thompson Dream accident

Found this on Thomsons news page

http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/travel-news/latest-travel-information.html

Latest news - Costa Europa/Thomson Dream

Costa Cruises have informed us that Costa Europa hit the pier while docking in Sharm El Sheikh port on Friday 26th February. Costa Europa is due to join the Thomson fleet as Thomson Dream in April 2010 and at this time normal booking conditions apply for all customers booked to travel. More information will be communicated as soon as it is available.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Thanks for that, I've been on there looking for something but missed it.

Berwyn

Been on an Italian news page and there saying the Italian navy that are in the area are helping out

Costa Cruises Spa, the Genoa-based cruise line which owns the ship, said it was now safely moored and undergoing emergency repairs, with the help of a support team from the Italian navy stationed in the area. Costa Cruises Spa, the Genoa-based cruise line which owns the ship, said it was now safely moored and undergoing emergency repairs, with the help of a support team from the Italian navy stationed in the area.

Where does Europa normally operate from? I've just been reading that they're assisting with the repair and pumping out the water, Hopefully this hasn't done too much damage.

Hi Savona I think, but not 100% sure. She was on her way to Rome at the time of accident.

Found this on Thomsons news page

http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/travel-news/latest-travel-information.html

Latest news - Costa Europa/Thomson Dream

Costa Cruises have informed us that Costa Europa hit the pier while docking in Sharm El Sheikh port on Friday 26th February. Costa Europa is due to join the Thomson fleet as Thomson Dream in April 2010 and at this time normal booking conditions apply for all customers booked to travel. More information will be communicated as soon as it is available.

Sue

Thanks, Sue for that link - not only will it be useful for soon-to-travel Thomson Dream passengers to keep up-to-date with current developments (hopefully their schedules will not be affected) but also for any Thomson-travel related issues in the future.

It's a new one to me and I've bookmarked it for future reference.

In the meantime 'Good luck' to all of you with cruises booked on Dream that your trips won't be affected.

But what a dreadful tragedy for the crew and their families and those who have been bereaved.

Thanks Kruzseeka,

They've got nearly 2 months to sort it out.

Like you Sue's Thomson news link was new to me too. I'd been all over their site looking for something.

Just off topic, I see Mrs.c is having another cruise affected by bad weather. This time on Red Sea.

Berwyn

It is not looking too good today, Thomsons are in talks with Costa regarding the extent of the damage done to Europa....

http://www.ttglive.com/c/portal/layout?p_l_id=3208370&CMPI_SHARED_articleId=3763290&CMPI_SHARED_ImageArticleId=3763290&CMPI_SHARED_articleIdRelated=3763290&CMPI_SHARED_ToolsArticleId=3763290&CMPI_SHARED_CommentArticleId=3763290&articleTitle=Damage%20to%20Thomson%27s%20ship%20could%20affect%20launch

Hopefully the transfer will go ahead as planned, but it does appear to be a possibility (albeit slight) that it could be delayed.

Blinking heck Berwyn- so I can't take a bottle of water on the plane but you can take a crowbar? huh!

HI,

Ron's just answered your 2nd part . Yes They have.

Mrs. is so bad I have to use a crowbar to get her on the plane. She's usually fine when we get there though.

She hadn't cruised before we went in April 2008 and was nervous, but loves it now as long as we don't go for a cabin in the lower decks where you can see the waves going past the portholes

Best to keep off Disaster movies till you get back. :D

I am browsing around at alternative holidays just in case she's not fixed in time though.

Blinking heck Berwyn- so I can't take a bottle of water on the plane but you can take a crowbar? huh!

It's the only way I can get prise hands off the plane doorframe and push her inside Flopsy. :D

We've tried alternatives like coach holidays, but they take so long to get there she said she'd rather put up with the plane

Berwyn

Not looking good Berwyn

Read below link from Goldryder

Damage to Thomson's ship could affect launch

Monday, March 01, 2010

Gary Noakes

Thomson is currently in meetings to decide whether its new cruise ship will make its inaugural voyage next month.

The first sailings on Thomson Dream may be postponed after the vessel, currently the Costa Europa, was damaged in Sharm el Sheikh last week. Thomson Dream, which will be based in Palma, is due to make its first cruise, a five- night Western Mediterranean itinerary, on April 22. A decision is likely later today.

The four-star vessel, built in 1986, was damaged when it hit the side of the dock in Sharm el Sheikh last Friday in high winds. Three sailors were killed during the accident and a handful of the 1,473 people onboard injured. The ship has a two-metre hole and extensive damage along its hull.

A Thomson spokeswoman said: “We are currently discussing the extent of the damage and if it will affect delivery.”

Sue

The dream has been removed from Thomson site. It shows the Destiny doing the Med

Hi,

As you can see from our signature we're on the Dream 27th April.

Just been on Thomson's site after your post and she is still being offered for sale. I've just done a trial booking and it took it.

Berwyn

Update

http://www.ttglive.com/c/portal/layout?p_l_id=61139&CMPI_SHARED_articleId=3767247&CMPI_SHARED_ImageArticleId=3767247&CMPI_SHARED_articleIdRelated=3767247&CMPI_SHARED_ToolsArticleId=3767247&CMPI_SHARED_CommentArticleId=3767247

Delays still facing Thomson's new ship

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Gary Noakes

Thomson is still unsure whether its new cruise ship will make its inaugural voyage next month.

The first sailings on Thomson Dream may be postponed after the vessel, currently the Costa Europa, was damaged in Sharm el Sheikh last week. Thomson Dream, which will be based in Palma, is due to make its first cruise, a five-night Western Mediterranean itinerary, on April 22.

A decision had been due following a meeting on Monday, but in a statement, the operator said: “At this stage we are still unsure of the extent of the damage caused and if this will have an effect on the ship joining the Thomson fleet. More information will be communicated when available. Normal booking procedures apply.”

The four-star vessel, built in 1986, was damaged when it hit the side of the dock in Sharm el Sheikh last Friday in high winds. Three sailors were killed during the accident and a handful of the 1,473 people onboard injured. The ship has a two-metre hole and extensive damage along its hull.

They won't withdraw the cruises from the schedule until absolutely certain that the ship will not make it in time. She is having temporary repairs done in Sharm before being sailed to a shipyar - probably Fincantieri Palermo - for full repairs. Now that the last two cruises for Costa have been cancelled she will probably have her refurbishment done at the same time to be ready for Thomsons next month.

Currently though it is in the lap of the Gods as to whether or not she will be ready....the hole is extremely big and the hull extensively damaged right above the stabiliser, so til they get her into drydock and out of the water completely they really will not know how bad things are or what will be needed to restore her to functional use.

Thanks Ally and Sue,

I've got plans for alternate holiday for the dates just in case.

If they cancel the 1st cruise DW doesn't fancy being the guinea pig if ours becomes the 1st a week later. She's worried about the repair leaking.

Berwyn

Thomson's have just posted a phone number on the travel information section of their website.

No help at all, as far as they are concerned the ship is still going to be cruising as normal.

If I want any more info to contact Costa.

Berwyn

:)Hi i rang thomsons this morning and the bloke on the phone informed me that they had replaced the panels and that the ship was due to do sea trials for a couple of weeks, i have booked to go on the dream in july and have thought about changing my holiday to a land based one but i really want to go on this ship so i am going to wait a couple of weeks to see what happens.This ship was lenghtened in the early stages of its life.

:)Hi i rang thomsons this morning and the bloke on the phone informed me that they had replaced the panels and that the ship was due to do sea trials for a couple of weeks,

P.S. Sunbather,

My timings might be out, but surely they can't have got her back to the proper dry dock in Italy to assess the damage let alone a proper repair.

Berwyn

P.S. Sunbather,

My timings might be out, but surely they can't have got her back to the proper dry dock in Italy to assess the damage let alone a proper repair.

Berwyn

Was thinking that myself Berwyn or it contradicts Goldryders post earlier this morning.

Could be a case of those answering the phones at Thomson having been told what to say ie sunbathers post and not actually knowing the exact script with the ship,otherwise it may have an impact on bookings

Hi Jim,

Very true as we both got different answers.

They are still offering her for sale though for 27th April.

The TTG live website that Goldryder provided the link for now says in the news section

Delays still facing Thomson's new ship

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Gary Noakes

Thomson is still unsure whether its new cruise ship will make its inaugural voyage next month.

The first sailings on Thomson Dream may be postponed after the vessel, currently the Costa Europa, was damaged in Sharm el Sheikh last week. Thomson Dream, which will be based in Palma, is due to make its first cruise, a five-night Western Mediterranean itinerary, on April 22.

The word that bothers me is "Sailings", it looks like we might no be going.

Berwyn

More details have emerged regarding the damage and repair schedule for Costa Europa. Costa said there was damage to one watertight compartment of the Europa’s hull area. Some crew cabins and parts of the engine room were damaged, too. Repairs will be completed over the next month in Palermo, Italy. U.K.-based Thomson Cruises is slated to charter the 25-year-old, 1,488-passenger Europa for a 10-year term, beginning in April. Costa said it is confident that repairs will be completed within 30 days.

Archived