Costa Europa / Thompson Dream accident

What happens if they cancel the 27thof Aprill, thats the one im going on with my parents. Would it be worth looking into alternate cruises ?

Your best bet is not to panic and keep an eye on the Thomson website for updates.

Thomson's will contact you in good time if there is ANY chance of a problem, which at this stage there does not appear to be.

What happens if they cancel the 27thof Aprill, thats the one im going on with my parents. Would it be worth looking into alternate cruises ?

Thanks Goldryder for the extra info.

As Goldryder says, hang on in there Kev. I'll see you on board for a drink yet.

Berwyn

P.S.

Mind you I've browsed around for a few alternative holidays for same dates just in case. :)

i am on the 1st cruise 22nd april. I emailed thompson and was told as the ship still belongs to costa they couldnt comment and would tell me if anything happens. If its cancelled will thompson put me on another cruise or refund. But what about my domestic flight and hotel from scotland to london the night before. My insurance wont cover that.

i am on the 1st cruise 22nd april. I emailed thompson and was told as the ship still belongs to costa they couldnt comment and would tell me if anything happens. If its cancelled will thompson put me on another cruise or refund. But what about my domestic flight and hotel from scotland to london the night before. My insurance wont cover that.

I would imagine that if early cruises have to be cancelled then you would get a refund rather than automatically be put on an alternative cruise. Unfortunately your domestic arrangments will not be covered as they don't form part of the cruise package. I wouldn't panic just yet though as there is still some time to go!

Goldryder: Can I ask, is this info definate? I have searched high and low on the internet to try and find info about what is happening to the ship but cannot find any info at all. It is good to read your posts but I am wondering where the info is from and if there will be any updates - where is the ship now? Still in Sharm or sailing back? I cannot see the ship on AIS website (marine traffic tracking site) either.

Thanks for all of the info so far!

Hi,

We have taken out the travel insurance from Thomson's (Mondial ). In there it says Cancellation period of cover begins from the date on the invoice when you booked it to the start of the trip.

It also says the trip is classified as from when it starts from home. So it should cover your domestic flight and hotel if yours has similar conditions to ours.

Berwyn

Hi,

We have taken out the travel insurance from Thomson's (Mondial ). In there it says Cancellation period of cover begins from the date on the invoice when you booked it to the start of the trip.

It also says the trip is classified as from when it starts from home. So it should cover your domestic flight and hotel if yours has similar conditions to ours.

Berwyn

I'm not so sure. You may be right but it would be worth checking the small print to be on the safe side.

:cool:Has anyone been on you tube and seen the actual damage to the ship i dont think i fancy going on it now i might have to think of a land based holiday even more now i think i am bit scared of sailing now i wish i had never looked.

:cool:Has anyone been on you tube and seen the actual damage to the ship i dont think i fancy going on it now i might have to think of a land based holiday even more now i think i am bit scared of sailing now i wish i had never looked.

Hi,

I haven't seen that one. And I haven't shown DW the close up pic of the hole that Jim posted either.

But she's have to do sea trials and pass safety checks before they let us loose on her.

Like you she's worried about going and we have been looking at hotel options just in case our cruise is cancelled.

Berwyn

I found this on another forum and translated it through google, some of the posts dont translate very well but there are a few photos I haven't seen before, 4 pages to go through.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://voyageforum.com/&ei=1riOS_7_NIOy0gTc54XpDA&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3DVoyageForum.com%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

hope link works

Sue

Don't worry about it. People always seem to worry more about the improbable than they do the probable. As I always say to my wife, there's more chance of having an accident on the way to the airport than there is on the airplane or ship!

You could apply that logic to anything and then you'd never leave the house!!! I just try not to think of "what could happen" - just go and enjoy the cruise!!

Ann

have pics of the europa will put them on soon as just got back and going to ireland tomorrow for 5 days to visit son , the thomson head man was at sharm to see the damage and make some decisions so we might hear something soon

my cruise, the dream 22nd april (5 nights) is still on sale on the thomson site. that has to be good hasnt it.. Does anyone know if the costa europa is still in Sharm or on her way to Palermo. I can find nothing anywhere on line regarding the moving of the ship.

my cruise, the dream 22nd april (5 nights) is still on sale on the thomson site. that has to be good hasnt it.. Does anyone know if the costa europa is still in Sharm or on her way to Palermo. I can find nothing anywhere on line regarding the moving of the ship.

Hi,

Like you have been scouring sites for information. Nothing since the 2nd of March.

I think Thomson's will keep both our cruises up for sale until they get a definite yes or no from Costa re the completion of repairs.

Berwyn

We might fnd out in the next day or so as Celebration should have done her changeover there yesterday. Passengers will all be home by now and perhaps someone will tell us if the Europa was still there. Meanwhile I take an occasional look at a live ships web site to see if I can catch her at the straits of Messina.

Hi everyone, arrived home from Celebration last night, yes the Costa Europa/Dream is still there in Sharm El Sheikh and in a sort of "tilting" position, it's all so sad that this has happened...... we were stunned to here the news last week, people here were phoning relatives on Celebration as they were unsure which ship they were sailing on, so were worried of course. I feel so sad for the people who lost their lives and their families.

Hi Dave... we sailed ashore in lifeboats yesterday at 1.15pm (11.15am here) there were a group of men wearing yellow jackets standing around by the Costa Europa/Dream (ascessing the situation I suppose) but saw no sign of repairs being carried out at the time i'm afraid, so that's all i can say really, perhaps others who returned a bit later may know more. Wish I could have given more hopeful news.

Carole.

Hi Dave... we sailed ashore in lifeboats yesterday at 1.15pm (11.15am here) there were a group of men wearing yellow jackets standing around by the Costa Europa/Dream (ascessing the situation I suppose) but saw no sign of repairs being carried out at the time i'm afraid, so that's all i can say really, perhaps others who returned a bit later may know more. Wish I could have given more hopeful news.

Carole.

Thanks Carole,

I know it sounds selfish in view of the tragic circumstances but not looking good for Us in April.

Costa spokeswoman said the other day it will take 30 days to repair. I take it that is from the time they get her back to the shipyard in Sicily.

Italian naval ship was supposed to be there helping put a patch on her to make her seaworthy.

Berwyn

It would probably be 6-7 days at a reduced speed back to Palermo so if she sailed today or tomorrow there would still be 30 days in the shipyard before the handover. Hopefully the Egyptians are not holding things up 'pending investigations', if they are she could still be there for a looong time!.

It would probably be 6-7 days at a reduced speed back to Palermo so if she sailed today or tomorrow there would still be 30 days in the shipyard before the handover. Hopefully the Egyptians are not holding things up 'pending investigations', if they are she could still be there for a looong time!.

Thanks Dave, I knew I could count on you to cheer me up. Not!! :)

Berwyn

Archived