Liquor on lately???

Crusin-Suzan

I've been reading this thread off and on for whatever reason, who knows!

But this post in particular caught my eye because, simply stated, it is not true. There is no way that this guy brought cases of beer back on to his RCI ship in port. I was on a Royal Carib ship last year and I gotta tell you, he is a legend in his own mind.

Last month on NCL, I had my bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar pulled and checked carefully before it was returned to me. (If you're curious why I brought it along, I use ACV for acid reflux).

I wonder how many other people who say that they have brought gallons of alcohol, flasks in their socks, and mouthwash bottles full of alcohol are bored so they make up stories the way this guy is.

This is very true. It was in 2006, AOS out of San Juan, which was a very port intensive cruise, only 1 day at sea. Every port we brought on beer, there were 4 adults and we all had 6 cans or bottles in our beach bags every day. Do they allow it today, highly doubtful. My point was that it was allowed, or at least tolerated for the most point. Times have changed, thats why people are arguing about it.

Mark

Just wondering - if I wanted to bring 1 special bottle of champagne (just 1:D)with me AND I tell them I have it, will they let me bring it on or will they take that too? I have no problem paying the corkage fee

you should be fine if it is champagne.

Nita

This is very true. It was in 2006, AOS out of San Juan, which was a very port intensive cruise, only 1 day at sea. Every port we brought on beer, there were 4 adults and we all had 6 cans or bottles in our beach bags every day. Do they allow it today, highly doubtful. My point was that it was allowed, or at least tolerated for the most point. Times have changed, thats why people are arguing about it.

Mark

Mark, things probably have changed a great deal in the last 3 or 4 years. Please accept my apology for assuming that it was a recent cruise and for saying you were out-ta-here.

• 4 weeks later...

Recently off the Jewel. A party of 10 and 8 smuggled on enough booze for 2 weeks. One man himself had (2) half gallons of gin. The secret is rumrunner flasks, or any liquor that is sold in plastic ONLY containers. Even wine in the boxes get through easily. Of the 10 people in our group, only one was called to the so called "naughty" room and that was because he had a 12 pack of pepsi. lol

It's your vacation! If you want to supply for your own party then "go for it"... 8 people with 2 suitcases each... their devices do not detect plastic...or someone would have got caught!

I find it interesting how alcohol is treated different than other substances. What about cigarettes? Why do the cruiselines allow smokers to bring their own cigarettes to consume onboard. I mean they could charge triple the amount to this captive audience if they would treat tobacco like they do alcohol.

I also find it interesting that NCL will look the other way to passengers who bring water, soft drinks and mixers. Isn't this stealing from the cruiseline too?

What would happen if we want to bring a bottle of something not available in the US?

It's Pimms no1 which is an alcoholic drink which you mix with soda water or lemonade and add fruit to make a cocktail.

We do spend money at the bar and always have wine with dinner but like a Pimms on the balcony before dinner.

So we're not bringing it on to avoid NCL charges, we're bringing it on because we like it and can't get in onboard (or anywhere in the US as far as I am aware).

I also bring my own stock of tea bags but that's another story (and yes I am a tea snob ;))

What would happen if we want to bring a bottle of something not available in the US?

It's Pimms no1 which is an alcoholic drink which you mix with soda water or lemonade and add fruit to make a cocktail.

What would happen. Same as any bottle of liquor. If they happen to find it, they will tag it , and hold it for you until the end of the cruise.

What would happen. Same as any bottle of liquor. If they happen to find it, they will tag it , and hold it for you until the end of the cruise.

I'm happy to pay for it - I don't want to smuggle it on board. How much is the charge for that?

It's a 70cl bottle (if that makes a difference) although we could bring the 1L bottle.

I'm happy to pay for it - I don't want to smuggle it on board. How much is the charge for that?

It's a 70cl bottle (if that makes a difference) although we could bring the 1L bottle.

There would not be any charge, because we can't bring it onboard, and they would hold it until the last night of the cruise, if it was wine you would pay a $15 corkage fee.

There would not be any charge, because we can't bring it onboard, and they would hold it until the last night of the cruise, if it was wine you would pay a $15 corkage fee.

Thanks but why can't I take it on board?

I find it interesting how alcohol is treated different than other substances. What about cigarettes? Why do the cruiselines allow smokers to bring their own cigarettes to consume onboard. I mean they could charge triple the amount to this captive audience if they would treat tobacco like they do alcohol.

I also find it interesting that NCL will look the other way to passengers who bring water, soft drinks and mixers. Isn't this stealing from the cruiseline too?

Ok, Planersedge, I still agree with this :> BTW I'm on the Epic TA coming up in June and I don't plan to smuggle....not worth the effort! But if I had, it wouldn't change how many drinks I bought one way or another.

and those of you who call it STEALING are really going overboard (pun intended). rule breaking yes, stealing no.

And I agree with the tobacco statement but shhhh.....you don't want to give the cruiselines any ideas!;)

...and note the comment about RCL not allowing sodas or bottled water. It's kinda like movie theatres not allowing snacks or drinks to be brought in. It's the only way they can get away with overcharging.

I'll reiterate my point of view--if people are to come down on smugglers for anything OTHER than breaking a rule, then you need to come down on the people who book excursions other than with the ship (that is DIRECT one for one revenue loss, unlike drinks!), who bring their own tobacco, film, batteries, toiletries, soda, bottled water, sunscreen onboard, who take their own pictures....all of which are DIRECT revenue loss to the cruiselines, since each of these items represents something not purchased directly from the ship.

Could the booze rule perhaps be for a different reason? Although the corkage fee contradicts that...I'm guessing that the booze rule is that they don't want drunks onboard, and that if they sell people their drinks, then they can cut people off who appear too drunk...make sense?

Thanks but why can't I take it on board?

Simple anawer like all the major cruiselines they have included in your contract that no liquor can be brought onboard by a passenger. You like many others can try and bring it on in violation of the contract. Just be prepared to give it up if detected.

The real difference is passengers don't get stupid drunk and fall off the ship with cigarettes, soda, or water. There is another facet to this rule besides profit and that is liability. Enforcement of the rules makes it clear they are trying to control out of control drinking. At least if passengers are drinking in the bars they have some control and can cut people off. In the old days those 1/2 gallons of booze back in the room were the primary source of very drunken teens and adults. If it were not for a few that really abused bringing liquor for in room consumption the rest of us would still be able to bring a modest amount.

I'll reiterate my point of view--if people are to come down on smugglers for anything OTHER than breaking a rule, then you need to come down on the people who book excursions other than with the ship (that is DIRECT one for one revenue loss, unlike drinks!), who bring their own tobacco, film, batteries, toiletries, soda, bottled water, sunscreen onboard, who take their own pictures....all of which are DIRECT revenue loss to the cruiselines, since each of these items represents something not purchased directly from the ship.

Let's see, could it be that are not any rules against all of the latter and there is a rule against the former?

Just a thought.

PE

...here we go again.:rolleyes:

popcorn.jpg.339f74b4c1d17d0e5c48de576f12d285.jpg

The times are a changin'.

Friends just returned from an NCL trip. At Miami, carry-on water bottles were confiscated and emptied. They didn't check them for alcohol, they just dumped them.

Carnys out of Miami and Tampa are noticing a crackdown on smuggling alcohol. Expenses have been cut to the bone and cruises are still dirt-cheap. It sounds like the line's are now cracking down on smuggling.

It is odd. Ciggies are much cheaper onboard!

Let's see' date=' could it be that are not any rules against all of the latter and there is a rule against the former?[/color']

Just a thought.

PE

...here we go again.:rolleyes:

Read my entire post, that's what I said-you missed my point that I don't think it is anything to do with lost revenue, it has to do with safety, as time2cruise pointed out also.

Read my entire post, that's what I said-you missed my point that I don't think it is anything to do with lost revenue, it has to do with safety, as time2cruise pointed out also.

I think it is in fact both. With the duty/tax free rum costing about the same per bottle as the price of one drink the profit (that is what counts) on drinks is huge. Perhaps as much on one drink of the day as a carton of tax free cigarettes. Passengers don't consume several cartons an hour onboard :D

So it really comes down to 3 parts for the cruiselines decision. Profit, protection from liablity, and some control of out of control drinking.

Anyone else think we just need a sticky on bringing booze onboard. Everytime a new thread starts move it to the end of the existing sticky. I would easily be the largest thread on the boards. ;)

• 1 month later...

These thread always bottom out, often over the stealing and moral fiber of the participants and NCL.

In which of the following scenarios, is the passenger stealing from NCL?

A) Passenger sneaks a bottle onboard and has a drink in his cabin before dinner.

B) Passenger sneaks bottle onboard and has a drink at bedtime on the balcony.

C) While getting ready for dinner, passenger is thinking about having a drink from room service, but decides a can of soda or a glass of water from the sink is fine.

D) At bedtime, passenger sits on the balcony and does not order a drink.

Archived