NCL short time in Ketchikan ... able to do any shore excursions?

mjroseville

We're huge Deadliest Catch fans and were thrilled to discover a shore excursion on one of the ships used in the series. However, it's a 3 1/2 hour long activity. NCL has a 6:00 am arrival and leaves at 1:30 pm, with notes about how they don't disembark for two hours after arriving and you have to be back on board two hours before the departure. That makes it appear there's no time to do much of anything in Ketchikan. Is that really the case? We'd love to go on this shore excursion and just may book with another cruise line if NCL just does a drive-by visit in this port. I'd hate to go all the way up there and barely even get off the ship.

Thanks in advance for any insights about what's realistic with NCL.

if you check the tours offered by NCL, it will give you an idea. they may not mention the times, but it will say how long the tours are.

my in-laws did a tour that they started at 7am and were back about noon. the ship docked right in town, most tours meet in the parking lot at the end of the gangway.

when they talk about a 2 hour embarkment or disembarkment, they are talking about checking on the 1st day and time before they allow disembarking when you get back....it's not for the ports. usually the "all clear" is giving about 1/2 hour after they tie up at the dock. times (back on the ship) will be posted by the gangway and in the daily news letter, usually a 1/2 hour before they pull up the gangway.

I think that you are confusing the day of embarkation/day of debarkation with the port days. If you are scheduled to arrive in port at 6:00, the ship does everything they can to get you off asap. If the departure from port is 1:30, you must reboard the ship by 1:00. You should have no difficulty in going on the excursion. However, the ship will be able to confirm everything for you.

Hello,

I have nearly the same time in the port of Ketchican on the Golden Princess in July. I have been in direct contact with the tour operators for the "Deadliest Catch" excursion. I booked direct with them and saved 20 dollars a head for a family of six. The excursion is at 8am and really would only give an hour afterward to brose the totems or see something else in Ketchican. They told me it is the same excursion whether you book direct or through the cruise line and everyone gets back in time for departure. Give them a call...they are super nice and can reassure you that you'll be back in time. www.56degreesnorth.com/

Cheryl

As already noted, you are confusing embarking time with port times. I have sailed NCL, every year to Alaska for at least the last 6, and they were never significantly late clearing in Ketchikan. One time it was about an hour. So most likely you will have no problem taking your tour choice.

Archived