NCL vs. Princess to Alaska?

mjroseville

We were originally leaning toward NCL because we've gone on them before and loved the Freestyle Cruising. We'd also get some priority treatment returning for a second trip, esp. looking forward to speedy check-in as opposed to the hour+ long line. However, the more I'm thinking about the itinerary, the less happy I am. The time in port is often quite brief. When I checked into other lines that might be in our budget (oceanview at around $1,000 pp), Princess was also right there and they have a much more attractive itinerary. However, we haven't cruised Princess before. I don't want assigned meal seating or times, and I don't want to be on a senior or family-oriented cruise, either (this is our big getaway from our kids).

Anyone able to offer opinions on the two options? Or is there even another line that's great but affordable?

Thanks in advance!

Although I have done two cruises so far, it has been quite a few years since the last one.

I would guess that NCL would have a bit more kids because their ships seem to have more kid-friendly stuff. We also considered NCL but choose Princess...we loved it the last time. The crowd had a nice mix of ages.

Princess does have any-time dining for more flexability and in reading these boards it seems like the wait can be short or up to 20-30 minutes. Our TA has us on the 6 p.m. dining wait list but that it WAY too early for dinner. We will most likely just show up at one of the designated anytime dining restaurants or even try to reserve a 7:30 time-slot every so often.

I've sailed with NCL three times and Princess once. I am sailing in July with my 17 year old son on Princess. I had to choose by schedule, and NCL and Princess both had the sail date I needed. I would have chosen NCL if all things were equal, since I do like NCL's more casual atmosphere. Princess was oddly significantly less expensive for a very similar itinerary. I have read that Alaskan cruises (never been on one there before) tend to lean more to the casual side than many other itineraries. We're going with the anytime dining option as well.

I think that the time of year dictates more the number of kids on board. Since we're sailing in the summer, I'm guessing there will be quite a few kids on the Princess ship, too.

I'm sure whichever line you choose, you'll have a great time. It IS a cruise, after all! :)

I enjoy sailing on NCL more than PCL however in Alaska, PCL is the way to go! Our first cruise was 10 years ago to Alaska and I loved how the ship had a Naturalist on board who gave talks every sea day to tell us what we would see and when. During these days she was outside with her microphone and constantly point out what kind of whale, a bear, all sorts of wildlife. We also received in our cabin the times of the day we would see certain wildlife. We're going again in a couple months and am praying that we'll receive the same treatment.

I have only sailed with Princess, but as you may now know, they do have anytime dinning. I usually go around 6pm and have never had to wait. But I have heard if you go at 6:30, you may have a short wait for dinner. They main thing I have to say is go with the cruise line that goes to Glacier Bay. This is a must see. My third Alaskan cruise is coming and Glacier Bay and Hubbard glacier is on our itenery. I have been to Glacier Bay on my first Alaskan cruise and can't wait to see it again. I have also been to Tracy Arms and while that was very cool, nothing is as cool and wonderful as Glacier Bay.

We found very little difference in NCL and Princess. Both have anytime dining, but on both, if you arrive at the same time a lot of others do, there will be a wait - just like in a restaurant at home. We've experienced slow boarding on both. It just depends on circumstances at the time you arrive. Service was very comparable, as was the age mix which, on both lines, is primarily influenced by when you go. In Alaska, dress is more casual, but even in the Caribbean, we saw much the same degree of dress. (However, on our last NCL cruise, there seemed to be more casual dress than we had seen before.) The main difference we've seen is decor. Princess is more formal while NCL's is more "fun". We now go on price and itinerary in choosing a cruise.

The naturalist on board on Princess is a big plus. If you can sail out of Vancouver rather than Seattle, you'll get better scenery while on board. I second the vote for including Glacier Bay.

Compare everything. Frankly, a one time cruise on NCL isn't going to get you much "priority". I would suggest you also look past the "insignficant and UNKNOWN" time of wait to embark. Is this really a priority with your cruise choice?? There is no way to predict any waits anyway. IF you want less of one, then arrive a couple hours prior to on board time.

Princess and NCL both sail Glacier Bay, I understand, they both, also offer the add on Tracy Arm boat tour- absolutely "necessary" in my opinion.

The naturalist on Princess is definately a bonus.

I have sailed both lines in Alaska, both several times each. And, "each" will offer you a great Alaska cruise.

We sailed with 2 other couples last July on the Golden Princess and all loved it. Sometimes we made reservations for "Anytime" and sometimes we hust went. One night we had a longer wait because we found a great Server and liked sitting in his station. It was our 2nd time on the Golden and for the others, it was first cruise and they are sold on Princess. However, I know NCL has a great following too; so as above; choose based on the itinerary; not on "Freestyle", because most lines are offering that alternative now too because it is so popular. Alaska is beautiful!

Archived