Flight Times

tinkermom

This question has probably been asked hundreds of times but I just decided to fly. What is the earliest time I could fly home the day we return to Miami on NCL? I rmemeber RCCL letting passengers with earlier flight times get off first. Will NCL be that nice? Thanks for the help.

I don't mind if someone directs me to a previous thread with an answer.

Thanks

Cruise lines always advise not to book anything before noon. On quite a few of my cruises there have been delays getting off the ship, and those with early flights were out of luck as they missed those flights. Miami airport is insane and just standing in line to check in could take an hour---same for security.

We got off the Crown Princess in Ft. Lauderdale last Sat. Our flight was at 10:30. I called Princess and they said that's the earliest they'd recommend. We requested self debarkation and were leaving the ship by 7:15a. We were through customs and at the taxi stand by 7:45 and at our flight's departure gate by 8:30a.

Just be aware if you do self debarkation you have to carry your own luggage.

If you are cutting your return flight close make sure you have travel insurance that covers itinerary changes in case you miss your flight.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

Pending Cruises:

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

No one may leave the ship until the US government officials clear the ship for pax departure. Ships sometimes encounter difficulties when coming into port such as fog, traffic, etc. US immigration and customs sometimes are slow or undermanned. Their computers could be slow or have malfunctions. These are just a few of the problems that could cause you to debark later than planned.

While the majority do not have any problem and the debark time is as planned, it is not always the case. Add to this traffic congestion at the airport, long checkin lines, long security lines or increased security level and it becomes a definite maalox moment. Waiting for an airplane to board is a lot easier than watching it leave without you.

There are far too many things that could go wrong -- late arrival, ship doesn't clear, etc.

We have been on ships when they arrived back in port by 6 AM but didn't clear until 8:30 -- once we didn't clear until 10:30 (San Diego that time).

So don't book a flight before noon.

If you are cutting your return flight close make sure you have travel insurance that covers itinerary changes in case you miss your flight.

You'd need to read the fine print, though, as most insurances won't cover changes IF you book a flight before the cruise line's earliest recommended departure.

This question has probably been asked hundreds of times but I just decided to fly. What is the earliest time I could fly home the day we return to Miami on NCL? I rmemeber RCCL letting passengers with earlier flight times get off first. Will NCL be that nice? Thanks for the help.

I don't mind if someone directs me to a previous thread with an answer.

Thanks

From Miami anything after noon is probably safe.

Archived