Silver Cloud - A Poor Review

ging466

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=63948

Here is a recently posted review. Note:

"...more than 50% said they were leaving this cruiseline when their contract was up. They were embarrassed by the cuts in passenger service this cruise line has done. Oh by the way if you are expecting caviar on this ship,better go elsewhere. Speaking with past SilverSea cruisers they were very very upset with the downgrading of this line.Many said this was their last cruise on SilverSea."

duct tape, do u have any comments re this review. i think that u were on this sector?

Anyone else care to comment?

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

This review contradicts many other posters that were on the same sailing. This person has a bone to pick and I would not believe much of the nonsense they have posted. Anyone can post anything and hide behind the anonymity. My wife and I have found these type of posts on various review travel boards.

Neilio

What a perfect Troll profile and action,

Never posted on the board before, never posted on the SS board. Not even a member profile, in fact no history on CC at all.

I would not give this review any credibility at all.

Even to the casual observer, 50% of the crew leaving and 50% of the Venetians not coming back is a statement that is definatley not supported in fact.

From time to time you get these sort of public slagings, RSSC has had a couple over the past couple of months as well. Theirs really had no basis in fact either. For someone who supposedly has taken 31 cruises, they don't seem to talk like an experienced cruiser at all. It all reads quite fictional to me.

There seems to be a bit more troll action on the luxury boards over the past couple of months as the Luxury brands roll out a whole lot of new "enhancements" that don't seem to be popular.

First post, overkill slaming, and dissapearing never to be heard from again on any board or thread is def a troll like action. Even when Trolls are questioned they never stand and defend their statements, they just dissapear.

Anybody can sign up for a free e-mail, join the board just to troll. In fact there are many cases where these people do it repeatedly changing e-mails & usernames weekly just to reak some damage for whatever purpose.

I would take it with a grain of salt, and move on...........

It's a pity the Moderators allow reviews from new members with no posting or board history or profile at all. It would definatley raise a red flag in my book.

IMHO!

What a perfect Troll profile and action,

Never posted on the board before, never posted on the SS board. Not even a member profile, in fact no history on CC at all.

I would not give this review any credibility at all.

Even to the casual observer, 50% of the crew leaving and 50% of the Venetians not coming back is a statement that is definatley not supported in fact.

From time to time you get these sort of public slagings, RSSC has had a couple over the past couple of months as well. Theirs really had no basis in fact either. For someone who supposedly has taken 31 cruises, they don't seem to talk like an experienced cruiser at all. It all reads quite fictional to me.

There seems to be a bit more troll action on the luxury boards over the past couple of months as the Luxury brands roll out a whole lot of new "enhancements" that don't seem to be popular.

First post, overkill slaming, and dissapearing never to be heard from again on any board or thread is def a troll like action. Even when Trolls are questioned they never stand and defend their statements, they just dissapear.

Anybody can sign up for a free e-mail, join the board just to troll. In fact there are many cases where these people do it repeatedly changing e-mails & usernames weekly just to reak some damage for whatever purpose.

I would take it with a grain of salt, and move on...........

It's a pity the Moderators allow reviews from new members with no posting or board history or profile at all. It would definatley raise a red flag in my book.

IMHO!

will be on board the 17th to either validate or debunk ! leaning to the latter !

Good to hear that the cheeseburgers were ok. :rolleyes:

Don't forget they liked the fries and shrimp cocktail too!

Well, someone was obviously not too impressed with their cruise but I tend to agree that all reviews should be taken with a grain of salt....even the glowing ones as there are industry plants too.

Pat

I do believe "JAFFA" comments are correct in every regard. well thought out and well written. Take these type of comments with a grain of salt and move on. Chances are this person will never be heard of again

Very interesting review, to say the least. Yes, some of the furniture is getting shabby and needs to be replaced; yes, the food had a rocky adventure that week. No, 50% of the crew is not leaving, neither are 50% of the Venetians. The guests on that segment were not SS standard issue, as you can see. There was quite a bit of trolling by Rio jewelers and their entourages. I was on that segment and I am still here. Nothing is perfect but there is nothing bad enough on the Cloud to get that excited about...unless you thrive on negativity. I have enjoyed our cruise very much and even just extended until the snow melts at home. We must let people have their own opinions and consider the source. I hope they are happier elsewhere! Thanx for listening!

Very interesting review, to say the least. Yes, some of the furniture is getting shabby and needs to be replaced; yes, the food had a rocky adventure that week. No, 50% of the crew is not leaving, neither are 50% of the Venetians. The guests on that segment were not SS standard issue, as you can see. There was quite a bit of trolling by Rio jewelers and their entourages. I was on that segment and I am still here. Nothing is perfect but there is nothing bad enough on the Cloud to get that excited about...unless you thrive on negativity. I have enjoyed our cruise very much and even just extended until the snow melts at home. We must let people have their own opinions and consider the source. I hope they are happier elsewhere! Thanx for listening!

Hi duct tape,

Slightly off topic, but have you cruised on the Odyssey as you planned and how do you compare it with Silversea in general and Spirit in particular.

I apologize if this was covered elsewhere as I have been away for some time - I tried the search to no avail.

You can send me an e mail to Paulpepper@comcast.net if you prefer, so as not to continue this OT discussion here.

Cheers and thanks,

Paul (& Marsha)

Thanks for duct tape's added comments and reality check. Jaffa made some excellent points. We have not done Silversea, yet July 1-16 Norway Coast), but my impression from reading this supposed "review" is that either somebody was playing with this as a "creative writing" exercise to see how negatively they could write an analysis . . . OR . . . that there are some "mental health" issues with the author. From our two cruises, on Crystal in the Baltics and Seabourn in the Greek Isles, I could cite a few food service flaws and a rust stain in the bathtub to be nasty and ultra negative. You could focus on just the negative and use that type of hyper nasty approach. I don't think, however, that such would be an honest evaluation of the overall picture. It seems that there must be some "other issues" going on with the writer. Look forward to hearing more from billcrooz later this month after that 17th sailing on the Silver Cloud.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Overall, I find Silversea to be excellent. That said, it is a cruiseship and not a gourmet kitchen and set our expectations as such. We also know the smaller ships are older and the cruise industry is not spending a fortune this year renovating as they are cutting costs. We are fine with this. We also know some cruises are just better then others....

This person who wrote this horrendous review was sooo very off base, he seemed near hysterical. You can always get great food onboard any SS ship so this makes no sense. Very few constructive comments and if I had to guess the staff member he railed against probably put him in his place.

My verdict...this ones a nutter...entitiled to his opinion Yes....but a nut and I would pay this no mind. I am actually happier never to meet this one onbaord :)

Happy sails.

I have to say that this review appears to be "suspect". Host Dan

THANKS, Dan! Personally, I don't have a "dog in this fight", but I wonder how the CC Boards and management deals with a review that is this much of an obvious "suspect"? Any insights to share in how any verification is done? Either way? Ringer to puff up and/or nut job to play games in an unfair, negative way? Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=63948

Here is a recently posted review. Note:

"...more than 50% said they were leaving this cruiseline when their contract was up. They were embarrassed by the cuts in passenger service this cruise line has done. Oh by the way if you are expecting caviar on this ship,better go elsewhere. Speaking with past SilverSea cruisers they were very very upset with the downgrading of this line.Many said this was their last cruise on SilverSea."

duct tape, do u have any comments re this review. i think that u were on this sector?

Anyone else care to comment?

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

They say this was their 31st cruise.

"This Cruiseline is an embarrassment at sea. A Joke. This was my 31rst and WORST cruise I have ever been on!!!! It is sad very sad indeed. Finally when we arrived in Rio, we rejoiced in knowing we were finally off of this awful ship and cruiseline. If you want Luxury, go with "Yachts of Seabourn"....................I give this cruiseline and ship a thumbs-down"

I would like to see another review by this same person.

oops, I forgot. He was right about the old towels. They were scratchy but they were were used to being washed in desalinated water and fabric softener could not be used since it decreases water absorbency! There are nice new, fluffy towels being introduced as we speak. All is going well and I look forward to meeting those who are boarding and see what they think also. Bright and sunny here in St Barth's. Great BBQ yesterday at Prickly Pear Island.

I took the author to mean that 50% of the staff he talked to said they'd be leaving when their contract was up, not 50% of everyone.

The embarkation was given a 5.0, but I did not see much of anything about it.

The fact that it ended with a nod to Seabourn and no other comparison does make it suspect.

There has been much written about how hotels are often "reviewed" unfavorably by employees of competing hotels and the difficulty some online community boards have in stopping this. I wonder if the same thing happens with cruise ship reviews?

Just off the march 1st sailing of the Cloud. My 8th silversea sailing and the line still provides a wonderful product. The ship looked great, possibly in better condition than the Shadow in August. Service and food were wonderful, no complaints!

Just off the march 1st sailing of the Cloud. My 8th silversea sailing and the line still provides a wonderful product. The ship looked great, possibly in better condition than the Shadow in August. Service and food were wonderful, no complaints!

Hi avalon1025

Glad to hear u had a great time and the Cloud is doing fine. I think we all agree that the other review is a piece of rubbish!

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

THANKS! Great report to read, especially when it comes from someone in an area like San Francisco where they know a little about food, wine, service and taste. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Things remain just fine here on the Cloud. There have been some new pillows added to the sofa. The square silk ones have disappeared and the new ones are small oblong ones that are way too small! That is the only crisis of the day.

Things remain just fine here on the Cloud. There have been some new pillows added to the sofa. The square silk ones have disappeared and the new ones are small oblong ones that are way too small! That is the only crisis of the day.

Has the food and chef gotten better after some of the mixed results in South America? Keep the good reports and details coming.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived