Cruise Critic Community
Marty_Mc_Fly

European or Worldwide Travel Insurance required?

We are UK residents and travelling to Malaga in July for a 7 day Med Cruise and returning to UK after cruise. We are cruising with Royal Caribbean where i understand everything is paid in dollars. My question is....in the event of a medical problem happening at sea, when in international waters, do we need Worldwide travel Insurance or is European cover sufficient? (Based on my fear that whilst travelling in international waters in an American ship then American laws etc apply). Many thanks for any advice you can provide!!

We are UK residents and travelling to Malaga in July for a 7 day Med Cruise and returning to UK after cruise. We are cruising with Royal Caribbean where i understand everything is paid in dollars. My question is....in the event of a medical problem happening at sea, when in international waters, do we need Worldwide travel Insurance or is European cover sufficient? (Based on my fear that whilst travelling in international waters in an American ship then American laws etc apply). Many thanks for any advice you can provide!!

Call your insurer. No one else will know for sure. My guess (and this is strictly a guess so don't make any decisions based on it) is that any medical treatment received onboard the ship would be considered "international" or "world wide".

That's a good question. My husband became seriously ill and had to go to Sick Bay after hours between Venice and Croatia. While we had medical and trip insurance, we had to pay then and get reimbursement later. So I would suggest calling RCI or your travel agent too.

PS The doctor and nurse were great!!

So I would suggest calling RCI or your travel agent too.

PS The doctor and nurse were great!!

RCI won't know for sure and neither will the TA. Call the insurer.

Many thanks for your replies. Spoke to Insurer today and they confirmed that European cover is fine as policy is defined only by the geographical limits. Full steam ahead now!! :D