San Juan, PR Scam information

flamomo

• 3 months later...
I live in OSJ and he approaches my wife and I at least once a week with his same story. It gets old really quickly....... Here he is:

:D Yes, indeed.

That is the guy that approached us.

My fiancee and I were in San Juan in January 2013. We were on a downtown shopping excursion through Carnival and this man started following us. When he asked if we spoke English, we made the mistake of turning around and saying "yes." He told us a very rehearsed story about how he was staying at the Hilton and that he and his father were robbed and that he needed money for a cab to get to the hospital to see his father. We said no, and he kept repeatedly asking. He tried to grab at my purse, and we took off running through downtown to get as far away from him as possible. We'll be in San Juan again in January, and if we run into him again, I will probably just bust out some Spanish. (I knew that Spanish minor in college would come in useful haha)

My fiancee and I were in San Juan in January 2013. We were on a downtown shopping excursion through Carnival and this man started following us. When he asked if we spoke English, we made the mistake of turning around and saying "yes." He told us a very rehearsed story about how he was staying at the Hilton and that he and his father were robbed and that he needed money for a cab to get to the hospital to see his father. We said no, and he kept repeatedly asking. He tried to grab at my purse, and we took off running through downtown to get as far away from him as possible. We'll be in San Juan again in January, and if we run into him again, I will probably just bust out some Spanish. (I knew that Spanish minor in college would come in useful haha)

Are we sure this is the same guy as the other posts refer to? Did anyone else mention that he had attempted to lay hands on them? ... maybe he's getting desperate... he's beginning to sound scary, not just comical or sad.

The photo 'trekrider' posted above is the man we encountered.

He was not violent in any way and none of the three of us were frightened of him.

When I told him I knew his 'game' he walked away. He made no attempt to fight with us or grab a purse etc

Are we sure this is the same guy as the other posts refer to? Did anyone else mention that he had attempted to lay hands on them? ... maybe he's getting desperate... he's beginning to sound scary, not just comical or sad.

Yep, it is the same guy. He looked exactly like the picture someone posted above.

• 3 weeks later...
We were in San Juan last Thursday. Same guy was there and told us the same story. I was so thankful that I had read this thread before going on our cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for letting us know he is still at it.

Did you feel threatened by him?

• 1 month later...

My husband and I were stopped as we were walking to Old San Juan yesterday. He said "do you speak English?!" We said yes - and he said..."thank God!" He gave us the same story about his dad - said the police were no help. Had scabs on his face. Same guy - tall, thin, gray hair. We gave him $10. He said he is from Wisconsin and his dad was the district attorney of Wisconsin at one time. We were just Googling the name he gave of his father - last name Ritka - and then I searched for man in San Juan who's father was attacked and this came up. Thank you for those who have also posted here!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well we ran into him today walking toward the fort from Caribe Hilton. Same story!! Of course I had read this post, so I gave my hubby the tap tap tap a few minutes in when I could tell the sympathy was coming on. Very believable guy!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow he's still at it. Wonder how much he makes doing it. Totally NOT a believable story sounds so rehearsed it couldn't be true. Not to mention while around the port area I couldn't find anyone that didn't speak English. Why isn't he going up to every single person walking off the dock if he's that in need of $$$ and if his story were true.

• 1 month later...

We couldn't believe it last night when a gentleman approached us in Old San Juan and asked if we were Americans. He then began a story that seemed very familiar -- that he and his fm dad were mugged, lost all their money and his dad was still in the hospital. I told him it sounded like a scam I had read about on Cruise Critic and he yelled at me that I ought to be ashamed of myself. I went back and found the previous posts and sure enough, same exact story-- but he looked pretty clean, and well dressed. My husband only half believed me u Tim he read the posts. What a scammer! Thanks cruise critic for keeping us aware of this!!!