San Juan, PR Scam information

flamomo

The guy is not a scammer, he is a beggar with a good story. He makes it work for him. No one would give him anything if he said he was hungry, so he makes up a story that works for him. We see these people on the street corners in every US city. They all have a story, but at home it is easier to ignore them.

• 3 weeks later...

I just stumbled upon this thread. A huge group of us will be in OSJ next July when our ship the Carnival Valor pays a visit to this beautiful port. I can not wait to see if we are approached by him while there. I will be sure to snap a few pics of him and ask him to smile as I jump in pic as well. Selfies..........Smile! Click lmao

Edited by cruizinrican

• 3 weeks later...
The guy is not a scammer, he is a beggar with a good story. He makes it work for him. No one would give him anything if he said he was hungry, so he makes up a story that works for him. We see these people on the street corners in every US city. They all have a story, but at home it is easier to ignore them.

He has been 'making a living' out of this for years. He probably makes more per year than some of the tourists he scams considering it's all 'tax free'.

Of course he is a scammer! He is the very definition of a scammer, which is a person with a dishonest scheme, committing a fraud. Beggar would mean he is just asking for food, money or something else. Can't change the definition to make others feel sorry for him. I have no sympathy for liars. What he is, is a clever con artist, nothing more.

I am glad I read this thread because, I, along with my family and friends, will be spending time in San Juan soon. We are a very helpful bunch and would have likely given him money.

• 2 weeks later...
Of course he is a scammer! He is the very definition of a scammer, which is a person with a dishonest scheme, committing a fraud. Beggar would mean he is just asking for food, money or something else. Can't change the definition to make others feel sorry for him. I have no sympathy for liars. What he is, is a clever con artist, nothing more.

I am glad I read this thread because, I, along with my family and friends, will be spending time in San Juan soon. We are a very helpful bunch and would have likely given him money.

Eh, in a way, this is his job. He certainly seems to put in the hours, that's for sure!

I'll give people money if they really seem down on their luck OR if they make me smile with their sign etc. I truly do not care if they've decided this is their job or if they really are stranded without bus money. I'm giving to give, and what they do with it isn't up to me after my money is in their hands.

It's good to know that he's either making it up or has had the worst string of luck for years...but it doesn't mean no one will give him anything. Not saying I will (see above criteria for giving money), but it's not utterly horrible that he's doing this. How many of us would be able to do what he does day in and day out for years?

• 2 years later...

So this guy tried us a week ago. I'm a gringo but have spent years living abroad and knew immediately it was a scam. My partner felt bad for him and thought I was being a jerk. This forum has helped me regain credibility. The fact that this guy has been doing this for at least 8 years is unconscionable. I respect the police in San Juan but clearly they are not doing there job on this one. My partner is from San Juan so we go at least once a year. Next trip I will make sure he finds me, then wishes he didn't. Puerto Rico is in dire straights. Tourism is their number one industry. This doesn't help the situation.

The police have a difficult time with this sort of crime. Injured parties are barely present long enough to complete the paperwork. Then they are off to distant places. No victim, no witness, no prosecution.

So this guy tried us a week ago. I'm a gringo but have spent years living abroad and knew immediately it was a scam. My partner felt bad for him and thought I was being a jerk. This forum has helped me regain credibility. The fact that this guy has been doing this for at least 8 years is unconscionable. I respect the police in San Juan but clearly they are not doing there job on this one. My partner is from San Juan so we go at least once a year. Next trip I will make sure he finds me, then wishes he didn't. Puerto Rico is in dire straights. Tourism is their number one industry. This doesn't help the situation.

How is it so awful? Give or don’t give. No need to make him wish he didn’t talk to you. If that’s really your thought, maybe talk to a pastor or something about your anger over this?

You’ve gone once a year and haven’t seen him, so he’s hardly impacting your life. I’ve been to San Juan twice and haven’t even seen him. But the thought of him doesn’t make me not want to go. There are people asking for help everywhere.

Give or don’t give. Create your own criteria. I once gave a solid amount of money through (interesting censor there) a site that is censored here, apparently, to a family who had had an awful thing happen while visiting the States. Their situation was written about in the papers. That’s my criterion to give more than a buck or two. But a buck or two, eh, there’s nothing unconscionable about someone asking for that from any given person.

Gosh, he's just a creative beggar with a story. Instead of "hey man, can you spare a quarter?" he targets a specific audience that can maybe relate to his story and tries to make you give a crap and feel sorry for him. Yes, he's been at it a long time. But then again, how many retired beggars do you guys know?;)