Santorini rental car - contacting rental office

cherylterr

Hi all,

We are renting a car from Emver on Santorini. They have asked us to "call them 15 minutes" before we reach the top of the cable car location and they will meet us with the car.

I assume one can phone from the TOP of the car cable location but I was wondering can you call from the bottom...Is the place the ships tender to like a visitors center - with restroom, phones,etc....

Also, we will not have our cell phones. Can you purchase a calling card in

Greece or Italy that works at public phones (and are there public phones

in Fira?) or would we need coins for a phone call? Does any one know

what it costs to make a local phone call in Greece?

thanks for any help (I tried posting this message earlier but think it got lost so if it appears twice - sorry!)

Hi all,

We are renting a car from Emver on Santorini. They have asked us to "call them 15 minutes" before we reach the top of the cable car location and they will meet us with the car.

I assume one can phone from the TOP of the car cable location but I was wondering can you call from the bottom...Is the place the ships tender to like a visitors center - with restroom, phones,etc....

thanks for any help (I tried posting this message earlier but think it got lost so if it appears twice - sorry!)

We are getting ready to plan on renting a car at the top too, but it was my understanding if you get there early, no problem. I can drive a manual shift though.

I was wondering what the 15 minute thing was all about though. Why not just not call them at all and just show up and wait the 15 minutes at the top? It just seemed fishy to me...

Hi all,

Edit 30 minutes later. Thanks for the tip. Just booked one with Emver- 34.9 Euros manual +cdw insurance= 39.9. No mention to me yet of calling them 15 minutes ahead though. We are going to get it at their office at the top, down a few blocks it looks like.....

After several attempts to pre book a car for Santorini last August, we gave up and figured we would see what was available when we arrived. Thankfully we did, because a car for 6 people for the day pre-booking was going to cost about 30% more than what we actually paid. There are more car rental agencies in Santorini than anything else, all fighting for your business. Granted if you require an automatic I would suggest prebooking (they are few and far between) but if you can drive stick, I would wait until I arrive. Once you get to the top, you just walk through a small side street lined with shops and the main street is right there, with dozens to chose from.

After several attempts to pre book a car for Santorini last August, we gave up and figured we would see what was available when we arrived. Thankfully we did, because a car for 6 people for the day pre-booking was going to cost about 30% more than what we actually paid. There are more car rental agencies in Santorini than anything else, all fighting for your business. Granted if you require an automatic I would suggest prebooking (they are few and far between) but if you can drive stick, I would wait until I arrive. Once you get to the top, you just walk through a small side street lined with shops and the main street is right there, with dozens to chose from.

For a 10 Euro deposit, I thought 34.9 Euros was better than I was going to find at the top walking around in mid June....:)

For a 10 Euro deposit, I thought 34.9 Euros was better than I was going to find at the top walking around in mid June....:)

That is a good price....I just hope that there are no additional fees when you arrive....insurance, taxes, etc.....we paid 65euros inclusive for the day for a 8pax mini van....cheaper than the 90euro price we were finding online.

That is a good price....I just hope that there are no additional fees when you arrive....insurance, taxes, etc.....we paid 65euros inclusive for the day for a 8pax mini van....cheaper than the 90euro price we were finding online.

taxes + fees included. gasoline + cdw (full) insurance NOT- however cdw was only 5 Euros- so the total for an air conditioned late model 4 door manual stick was 39.5- (their website claimed they had a 30% on line booking discount)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Do they drive on the same side of the road in Greece as we do? In other words, is it easy enough to drive in Santorini?

Difficult to say if it's the same side of the road as you drive on as your profile doesn't say where you are from.:) However, it is the right side of the road, and it's easy to drive there. We thought it was a great island to rent a car for a day of exploring.

Archived