Trays?

iowagirl411

I'm not handicapped (at least not physically), but how do they manage?

There is staff available to help them. I just carry everything as best I can and if I have to take extra steps, well, given the amount of food that I eat on the cruise that's a good thing;).

No...the question is fine, and there are definately pros and cons to both sides of the tray issue. However, any time this issue comes up, it creates a heated debate.

Hopefully we've all grown up though, and the thread will come to an end now that the question is answered.:)

Was this a bad question? I just thought it sounded inconvient?

Although I haven't done this yet.(I will next time I cruise NCL) I have read on here that if you order room service for coffee or something in the morning...keep the tray that it is brought on. Then you can take it to the buffet with you. Others have brought one with them.

Now that I have cruised Carnival and found the trays they provide a HUGE help, I really don't get why NCL will not.

Just order room service, when they bring your food (on a tray) have them leave the tray on the table, now you have a tray. You could get some looks if you carry it around the ship ,but you can use it in the buffet and take a couple things back to your cabin so you can use the tray later. Also do not leave it out when you are not in you cabin, they could come in and clean and poof your tray is gone. Now it look like someone beat me to this, it takes me to long to type.

So how does one manage to get their food to the table? i.e.: Plate of bacon & eggs, pastry, bowl of grits, coffee, milk, juice?

I have only cruised on Celebrity & Carnival and that would be my typical breakfast.

I would carry a plate of bacon & eggs with one hand after piling my pastry atop the eggs and a bowl of grits with the other hand. I would return to get my coffee, milk, and juice, three glasses and/or cups, with both of my hands. Well, actually I would pour my dairy creamer into my cup of coffee, thus only carrying a glass of orange juice in one hand and the cup of coffee in the other.

NCL's buffets are no longer one long cafeteria line, but are set up with several different island stations. The trick is to do more than one trip. They are more like Golden Corrals than cafeterias....

Believe it or not, my neice who works at a buffet in Las Vegas says doing this the new way causes less spoilage and accidents as people have a firm hand on their dishes. The trays were accidents in waiting as people bumped into each other with their wide large unbalanced trays. Sometimes the truth overcomes human nature. There is a reason why buffets are eliminating the large cafeteria trays.... You can count your bottom dollar money has something to do with the reason.

Was this a bad question? I just thought it sounded inconvient?

No, the question is fine, but the flamers now have something else to start the negatives about. I will add, like someone else said, most lines are or have gone with no trays. The first time we saw this was on the Jewel 5 years ago..It didn't faze us, we just filled a plate up with our salad or if breakfast things like Lox, whatever, found a table, went back and got eggs if we wanted and everything was fine. We are not big buffets fans but once in awhile we do eat at Golden Corral when out shopping, they don't have trays anymore either now that I think about it...

Nita

I personally would prefer using a tray but I can understand why they eliminated them - mainly, less food wastage. People tend to have bigger eyes than stomachs. Trays make it much too easy to pile up food that they otherwise might not take.

For anyone who needs assistance, simply ask someone on the staff. They are more than willing to help you carry your food to your table.

Color me confused, but thank you.

As mentioned above, when this topic comes up, or in the past anyways, a long heated discussion about how terrible the cruiseline(s) are by no longer having trays takes place. Actually surprised we have not seen this in quite sometime.

But, we are regular buffet people and we do seem to manage. Extra trips I guess.

I don't mind the lack of trays. I have adapted. But the multiple trips was the cause of what I thought was an amusing experience.

My favorite time for the buffet is breakfast and I love having my breakfast at the Great Outdoors. When we were on the Gem in Nassau, we had a wonderful table at the back of ship with a beautiful view of Atlantis on a glorious day. I got my bowl of grits and placed a couple of strips of bacon on top and carried it to my table. I then went back to get my coffee. I returned and enjoyed my breakfast. At the end of my meal, it dawned on me that I hadn't had any bacon and I knew I had taken some. Apparently, while I was away from the table some of the ever-watchful seagulls and helped themselves - and without leaving the slightest trace in my grits. Ewww! I know, I ate those grits :eek:, but they were apparently quite adept at taking the bacon without touching the grits! :) From then on, I placed a napkin over my plate whenever leaving the table. :rolleyes:

Having no trays provides passengers with a bit of exercise before their meal since you must make a couple trips back and forth. Not using trays also does away with one more place bacteria and nasty germs can hide!:eek:

We've found NCL's buffet personnel to be very helpful in all things, one of them is stepping up and asking you if they can assist you - even before you ask them for assistance or even before you know that you are going to be needing their help :):cool:.

I usually use a large plate as a tray when getting beverages - coffee, milk, juice, tea,.... Helps keep the sloshing from getting all over me and the floor. It also allows getting multiple beverages at one time.

They sell inexpensive, small, lightweight, plastic restaurant style cafeteria trays at Gordon's Food Service and other places. I bought several (one or two for my grandmother to use, and some to use in our travel trailer and take on a cruise). Keep forgetting to bring one on our NCL cruises, but won't forget to on our next one.

Someone recently posted a great tip they do, and I'll be doing this - Use HandiWipes to wipe the tray down with between uses. Sorry I don't remember the name of the poster who mentioned this, but THANK YOU! for having shared it! :cool:

Archived