Trays?

iowagirl411

Not to be argumentative....but where are all the buffets that have trays? I just got back from Las Vegas and there was not one buffet that had trays. We have several buffets in Tulsa and not any of them have trays. The Thanksgiving/Mother's Day/Christmas buffets they setup at the more upscale hotels never have trays. Many restaurants have buffets setup during lunch and none of them have trays.

Not arguing....just asking.

Not to be argumentative....but where are all the buffets that have trays? I just got back from Las Vegas and there was not one buffet that had trays. We have several buffets in Tulsa and not any of them have trays. The Thanksgiving/Mother's Day/Christmas buffets they setup at the more upscale hotels never have trays. Many restaurants have buffets setup during lunch and none of them have trays.

Not arguing....just asking.

You are exactly correct. I never really thought about it, but only the low-end buffets have them. You can go to one of those fake steak places like Ponderosa and get a tray, but a nice buffet like those that the hotels and upscale restaurants offer, I've never seen it.

If I need to eat more food than I can carry, I can walk 10 yards to get more. ;)

Thanks again everyone. Knowing that the buffet is set up in "stations" and not one big long line helps me picture it all better.

When 1 poster mentioned getting the popcorn - Well I'm thinking like OMG. Now I'm in trouble and I'll have to cancel my first cruise on NCL 'cause everyone will hate me.

Thanks again everyone. Knowing that the buffet is set up in "stations" and not one big long line helps me picture it all better.

When 1 poster mentioned getting the popcorn - Well I'm thinking like OMG. Now I'm in trouble and I'll have to cancel my first cruise on NCL 'cause everyone will hate me.

No, don't take it personally. The idea of action stations rather than a buffet is a new concept for many. The newer ships (and I see you will be on the Pearl which is perfect) are very well set up for the action station concept and make the "buffet" a breeze.

Unfortunately, the older ships were designed before this concept and the set up makes some people think they have to follow the cafeteria-style line when it really is not necessary. This is my only frustration on the Dawn. People lining up when it is unnecessary. I like to move from station to station, but you need to be careful that no one thinks you are cutting in line. Usually, a smile and a polite "excuse me" does the trick. And once the people around you catch on, everything moves more smoothly. :)

I personally would prefer using a tray but I can understand why they eliminated them - mainly, less food wastage.

I've also heard that it's an environmental issue - there was an article in my local paper recently that a bunch of colleges (including the one I went to) were all doing away with them in an effort to be more green; waste less water and energy cleaning trays.

It does sound inconvenient. On the other hand, I have to admit I didn't notice there were fewer trays at buffets until it was pointed out, so I guess I've been making do without realizing it.

I like to work out early in the morning and let my husband sleep. I bring a tray from home, (or from room service as mentioned previously) and get DH his coffee and light breakfast and bring it to the room so he can have a balcony breakfast most days. There is no way I can carry coffee, juice and food for two people to the room without a tray. No waiting for room service and I can pick what I know he will like. A tray really does come in handy.

I have had room service guys refuse to leave the tray several times before, because "we don't have enough of them". Easier to bring from the dollar store and toss at the end.

Amy

Honestly, the only reason I would be concerned is that I'm cruising with my 5 yr old son and no other adult, so getting food for the two of us could be quite a project. But it sounds as if the staff is ready to help out, so no worries here!

Now I feel sad :( for all those people who are out of work because buffets don't use trays anymore. On our last two cruises we went to the buffet ONE time, sad I know, and only had pancakes, we slept in and missed breakfast at Cagney's, never again. On some past cruises like on the Pearl they had those action stations and they do keep the lines down.

BRING BACK THE TRAY'S AND LET'S PUT AMERICANS BACK TO WORK. GBA

Now I feel sad :( for all those people who are out of work because buffets don't use trays anymore. On our last two cruises we went to the buffet ONE time, sad I know, and only had pancakes, we slept in and missed breakfast at Cagney's, never again. On some past cruises like on the Pearl they had those action stations and they do keep the lines down.

BRING BACK THE TRAY'S AND LET'S PUT AMERICANS BACK TO WORK. GBA

I'm sure the trays they were using were "Made in China" like everything else. :eek:

I've also heard that it's an environmental issue - there was an article in my local paper recently that a bunch of colleges (including the one I went to) were all doing away with them in an effort to be more green; waste less water and energy cleaning trays.

It does sound inconvenient. On the other hand, I have to admit I didn't notice there were fewer trays at buffets until it was pointed out, so I guess I've been making do without realizing it.

It is a VERY green move- sanitizing trays AND dishes? Eliminating the trays cuts back on water/soap/electricity/labor... it is a great cost saver.

Bringing your own tray is an excellent solution!

Recycle/Reuse! :)

Carnival still uses them. The reason I was given from the Head Chef on the Sun for NCL doing away with them was to make the buffet feel less like a buffet.

Dave

Really? I was on Legend in August and there were no trays that I recall. Of course I could be having a brain freeze.

The real way to handle the situation as other have said is multiple trips. Probably much less waste, and much harder to knock a plate out of a hand than a whole tray.

If the buffet is set up properly it could work, but I would not want to wait on a long line several times in 1 meal.

My last 2 cruises on Disney (both in 2009) both included trays, which were set up nicely by an attendant and handed to the guest, with a different tray for the kids (actually a tray/plate). That buffet was a traditional "1 line."

I've not been on NCL yet but I did experience the station - type buffet on Princess and it works great, especially as most people don't get it and wait on 1 big line so it's easy to get food without waiting. I did get a dirty look once but then an attendant told everyone they didn't need to wait on line. I felt pretty smug after that!

I might bring my own tray although that might exceed my cheesiness tolerance.

Carnival still uses them. The reason I was given from the Head Chef on the Sun for NCL doing away with them was to make the buffet feel less like a buffet.

Dave

Something else for them to clean, keep track of move around.... Makes sense to me. I survived without one 2 weeks ago on the Spirit and still managed to gain 10 pounds!!!:o

Really? I was on Legend in August and there were no trays that I recall. Of course I could be having a brain freeze.

The real way to handle the situation as other have said is multiple trips. Probably much less waste, and much harder to knock a plate out of a hand than a whole tray.

In the past four months I have been on the Holiday, Fantasy and Triumph. They have all had trays.

The only problem about multiple trips is that someone sits down at your table or the table gets bussed before you get back.

Dave

So how does one manage to get their food to the table?

Just stand at the buffet and graze. No need for tray. Heck, no need for table, and no need for plate. And if you just use the serving tongs, no need for silverware. If you use your sleeve or the nearest passenger's shirt-tail, no need for napkin.

InThe

Archived