A teen that turns 18 10 days before the cruise

There aren't many activities in the oldest age group, it's mostly hanging out. My 3 teens mainly go to 'the club' to meet people and then plan their own activities.

I am sure that when they are meeting their new friends, there are some older and younger people. I give them curfews and rules and then I check on them periodically. They like cruises because they are able to meet people easier than if we are at a land resort.

As people have said what 18yo wants to hang around 14 yo's and I agree. Sometimes there are 17 and 18yo's traveling together and it makes sense to let them stay together. If not, the 17yo can very easily go to the meet and greet, meet & make plans, and then have the 18yo join them later if the cruise staff doesn't allow the 18yo into any activities/clubs.

I'm sorry, but this is just silly. In most cases, an 18 year old is still a high school student. They are quite often "hanging out" with 15 year olds on a regular basis. They are on the same school sports teams, in the same clubs (foreign language, math, chess etc...), student council, marching band, yearbook committee, even in some of the same classrooms. If you are are brilliant freshman (14 year old) you are quite often put into an honors class with seniors and juniors. A kid does not magically turn into a scary, inappropriate adult on their 18th birthday.

Just my opinion :D

I second that!!!!

This is a very simple question....

18 = Age of majority (adult)

17 = minor child.

Has nothing to do with High School, drinking, military, but what is considered an adult, and what is considered a child. There are many people (parents) that do not want their children hanging with adults. Especially adults they do not know. On the ship, they are going to do the "right" thing to please the majority, by keeping adults out of kid activities, just like they keep kids, out of the adult activities. I can never see what the problem is, other than a very, very small minority that wants an exception to be made, because their adult is "good". THEY ARE NO LONGER KIDS! Let go.

17 = minor child.

Has nothing to do with High School, drinking, military, but what is considered an adult, and what is considered a child. There are many people (parents) that do not want their children hanging with adults. Especially adults they do not know. On the ship, they are going to do the "right" thing to please the majority, by keeping adults out of kid activities, just like they keep kids, out of the adult activities. I can never see what the problem is, other than a very, very small minority that wants an exception to be made, because their adult is "good". THEY ARE NO LONGER KIDS! Let go.

Hey Havingfun 2010, its all ok, really,

everyone is entitled to their opinion. stick by your name.

I agree that it would be a good idea to go by school grade.,not so much age.While as a parent (dont know if you are one) of a couple of teens,I agree it can be worriesome that a 15 year old may be hanging out with an 18 yr old, although it happens on sports and at school activities.and academically all the time.The kids usually break off into their own age groups anyway. So the 17 yr old (some on our last cruise turning 18 on the cruise itself) isnt hanging out with the 15 yr old afterall.

just sayin!!!:rolleyes:

The fact is, if your child is out of your sight, ever, on the cruise ship, they may be in contact with adults of 18yo and even older.

I think it is more likely that they are ok sitting in Fuel with an 18yo than somewhere on deck 4 :rolleyes: (and I never use that face).

17 = minor child.

Guess it works out pretty good when you try to eliminate the things that go against your way of thinking. But the TRUTH is, there are 18yr olds in High School, 18yr old ADULTS (as you say) can't drink onboard ship and 17yr olds can join the military (I did). So that clear cut line that happens on ones 18th B-Day, isn't so clear cut when you take those things into consideration.

My understanding is that this is largely because studies showed that drunk driving incidents with this age group largely decreased with the higher drinking age. I think there were also studies of that age binge drinking. But, then again, studies these day have about the same credibility as Samuel Clemens would give to statistics.

I believe this age came about because the Federal Government in the USA forced this rule on the states through threatening to withhold highway funds if the states didn't adopt a drinking age of 21. For a period here, the age did vary from state to state. It's just another example of Big Brother Federal Government telling the states that it knows best (and the Federal Government knows best because it is told by the lobbyists).

Most Americans probably agree it is ridiculous that at 18 you can fight and die for the country, but not drink a beer, but alas, the way things are going it seems we may legally be smoking pot at 18 in this country before we are drinking...

Just dont take the Federal money and do what ever you want. Oh smoking pot it better for you than drinking to much.

Big Brother....... has nothing to do with cruise lines and there rules. Just find a cruise with rules you like.

17 = minor child.

Few legal things are that simple. In the US, the age of majority varies from state to state between 18 and 21 and sometimes on things that aren't age related (marriage, emancipation, graduating HS). And that's just the US, internationally it varies from 9 to 21.

Most pertinent to this board, Royal Caribbean uses 21.

I don't see why so many of you are freaking out about an 18 year old in the teen club. There really isn't of a difference in 17 and 18. Especially if the kid is in high school or JUST graduated. Most 18 year old college students wouldn't want to hangout with HS kids anyways. So it is just the 18 HS kids we are talking about.

I say if they are 18 and give up gambling rights and usage of adult clubs it should be fine.

As for the drinking age being 21 when I was in high school I remeber being told one reason was because your liver isn't totally developed until then.

Also for you saying you don't want an "18 year old adult" even though they are still in high school hanging out with you also in high school 15 year old how are you going to feel in 3 years when your sweet now 18 year old HS senior is forced into the adult club with 26, 35, and 50 year old single or divorced men who are much older.

Archived