Should the fridge be empty and not a profit center?

steveaaaaa

Should the fridge be empty and not a profit center?  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Should the fridge be empty and not a profit center?

• Yes
    • No
    • It should be called a wet bar in the room description
    • I don't care

Which makes me wonder...do ship bars tack on gratuity if you order a soda (pop)? If so, then wouldn't a can from the stateroom fridge actually be cheaper?

They add 15% on items in fridge. Profit center and a tip

center too....

1. There is NO PRESSURE to buy anything out of the fridge.

2. They WILL empty it for you, NO CHARGE!

3. I find it not very cold anyhow. Not worth bothering with.

4. And most important, EVERY profit center on the ship exerts downward pressure on cruise fares. Cruise fares become cheaper every year. CCL has announced that prices will soon be increased. Bullshot!! The emails I receive DAILY say that cruise fares will be very low this summer and even lower in the fall! EVERY profit center on the ship helps that happen. Each of us can choose to utilize the various profit centers or not. Those lacking self discipline, DO have a bonifide complaint, but not with the cruiseline.:p

On all of our past cruise's we've just emptied the "fridge", "refrigerator", "cooler", or what ever you want to call it :D, and put the contents on a shelf nearby. We put our own drinks in (either brought on board or bought on board), then replace them with what's on the shelf before we leave. We've have never had a problem with any Room Steward charging for the drinks we put back.

It's been a while since we've been on Carnival. Should we be worried about this :confused:?

There was just enough room, without "buying" anything, for me to bring back cartons of milk from Lido meals and stash them there. :p Simple minds, simple pleasures!! Yes - I am a cheap, cheap date!!!!!!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

4. And most important, EVERY profit center on the ship exerts downward pressure on cruise fares. Cruise fares become cheaper every year. CCL has announced that prices will soon be increased. Bullshot!! The emails I receive DAILY say that cruise fares will be very low this summer and even lower in the fall! EVERY profit center on the ship helps that happen. Each of us can choose to utilize the various profit centers or not. Those lacking self discipline, DO have a bonifide complaint, but not with the cruiseline.:p

Granted.....No pressure to buy anything.

They will not empty it for you......AND, if you empty it and set the contents aside, you may be charged for what was removed. This happened to us TWICE on previous cruises!!!! Usually, 1/2 point through a cruise the room steward will do an inventory of what is missing from the frig. and at the end of the cruise you will get a bill showing what contents were removed. (Even though the room steward obviously must see all the contents of the frig. above and on the side of the frig. IF and when he is cleaning your room or not:eek:)

They will not empty it for you......

Well, you say they won't, others say they will, myself included. Granted I've only been on two cruises so far but both times I was asked not only if I wanted it unlocked but if I wanted them to empty it for me.

If anything this is inconsistent policies across ships/employees. I think it boils down to asking your room steward when you get in the room. If they won't empty it for you, ask if you can empty it yourself and keep everything on the shelf above it. If they still say no, then keep it locked up.

They will not empty it for you......AND, if you empty it and set the contents aside, you may be charged for what was removed. This happened to us TWICE on previous cruises!!!! Usually, 1/2 point through a cruise the room steward will do an inventory of what is missing from the frig. and at the end of the cruise you will get a bill showing what contents were removed. (Even though the room steward obviously must see all the contents of the frig. above and on the side of the frig. IF and when he is cleaning your room or not:eek:)

They WILL empty it for you as they have done for me a number of times. NEVER have been charged with anything from the fridge. Barb always opens the big water bottle and we are always charged for that. Room stewards say a lot of things to make THEIR life easier. But me, the customer is always right!

Since you have been on only 2 Carnival cruises, per your signature, maybe things were different 8 years ago. Did anyone ever consider talking to your steward if you have questions or issues? We always enjoy getting to know our steward, hearing about different cultures. Never had one that was not easy to get along with and did not do a GREAT job. Oh yeah, we use the fridge and sometimes drink the stuff there.

No problem for me either. I feel if it wasn't a "profit center" then my fare for the cruise would be higher, so I say "leave all that crap in the fridge". (I usually don't even have the steward unlock it anyway!) ;)

"SKY"

Absolutely agree.

Geeez, when did profit become such a dirty word? It's a business for goodness sakes. I don't believe they advertise the cabins as having a fridge in it. I believe it's intended purpose is a wet bar.

Absolutely agree.

Geeez, when did profit become such a dirty word? It's a business for goodness sakes. I don't believe they advertise the cabins as having a fridge in it. I believe it's intended purpose is a wet bar.

It sure does!!

http://www.carnival.com/cms/carnivalmeetings/images/destinyconquestclass.pdf

Look on page 3 bottom under Descriptions/amenities. It states 18TV,VCR,Refrigerator,bar area,hair dryer,ect.

Steve

I hope you are all right! It's been a while since we were on a Carnival ship. A handful of other ships do give you a hassle.

We like the convenience of having the frig. filled with soda, water, etc. and also like storing some of our own items.

Happy sailing.....and drinking.......:)

It sure does!!

http://www.carnival.com/cms/carnivalmeetings/images/destinyconquestclass.pdf

Look on page 3 bottom under Descriptions/amenities. It states 18TV,VCR,Refrigerator,bar area,hair dryer,ect.

Steve

Ok, I stand corrected.:o However, I think the intended use of the fridge is for the wet bar. It's kind of like a convenience store.:)

No problem for me either. I feel if it wasn't a "profit center" then my fare for the cruise would be higher, so I say "leave all that crap in the fridge". (I usually don't even have the steward unlock it anyway!) ;)

"SKY"

Same here. Ask the steward to take it out. I prefer to pay less up front, since I contribute onboard also. If I pay more up front, and contribute onboard.... I'm in for a much more expensive vacation. Getting you on with cheap rates, and then hitting you with onboard revenue opportunities is part of the game...... Let's play.

I hope you are all right! It's been a while since we were on a Carnival ship. A handful of other ships do give you a hassle.

We like the convenience of having the frig. filled with soda, water, etc. and also like storing some of our own items.

Happy sailing.....and drinking.......:)

They are on the Miracle (not all ships....)

Dan, Well put!!

On my last cruise, which was a Transatlantic on the Celebrity Equinox in November, I asked our cabin steward to remove all contents and I was informed by him that they were not allowed. But he did say that I could take everything out of the fridge and place under the bed and all the way forward. That way it would be out of our way and he would just place the items back in the fridge after our cruise. But on most cruises I have been on (11) I have asked them to empty the fridge and they have done so.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived