Live from the decks of the mercury b2b 3/8/10 & 3/19/10

tuggers

ChasCruiser, why are you being so defensive? Lets face it, chances are someone from Charleston brought it on board. OR people who are sick went into restaurants, stores, whatever and spread it around. Then people who are sailing went to the restaurants, stores, whatever and picked it up.

It seems that a lot of people are sick here. Not just the norovirus, but respiratory stuff too. No one stays home anymore because of the stressful work environments (okay, that's a broad generalization but I've experienced it at my own job). In fact, one of my co-workers got the norovirus and neither she nor anyone she knows has been anywhere near a cruise ship.

ChasCruiser, why are you being so defensive? Lets face it, chances are someone from Charleston brought it on board. OR someone who is sick went into a restaurant, store, whatever and spread it around. Then someone who is sailing went to that restaurant, store, whatever and picked it up.

Yes someone from Charleston may have brought it onboard or chances are just as good that someone from outside of Charleston brought it on board.

I am defensive because the root cause is all speculation; none of which is based upon any real fact. It may very well have started at the NorWok Chinese Restaurant in Charleston :rolleyes: (credit to Widget) or in Oshkosh, WI. You don't know and neither does anyone else yet.

What specific percent chance would you estimate the norovirus was cause by someone in Charleston: 25/75%, 50/50%, 75/25% or somewhere in between?

Ah ha, I know. It was Rjbobalou from Raleigh.:D J/K Rjbobalou.

Yes someone from Charleston may have brought it onboard or chances are just as good that someone from outside of Charleston brought it on board.

I am defensive because the root cause is all speculation; none of which is based upon any real fact. It may very well have started at the NorWok Chinese Restaurant in Charleston :rolleyes: (credit to Widget) or in Oshkosh, WI. You don't know and neither does anyone else yet.

What specific percent chance would you estimate the norovirus was cause by someone in Charleston: 25/75%, 50/50%, 75/25% or somewhere in between?

Ah ha, I know. It was Rjbobalou from Raleigh.:D J/K Rjbobalou.

I'm from Ohio

Quote from USA Today dated 3/15/2010

"UPDATE, 9:51 AM ET: A spokesperson for Celebrity Cruises confirms that the Celebrity Mercury is on its way back to Charleston after another large outbreak of what is thought to be norovirus. Spokeswoman Cynthia Martinez says 342 of 1,829 passengers on the ship have fallen ill since the beginning of the cruise."

The virus seems worse than the previous cruise.

CNN, and USA Today are now saying the CDC has has issued a No-Sail Recommendation for the March 19th sailing of the Mercury. But no word yet from Celebrity on their web site!!!!!!!!!! (WHY NO UPDATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

on the Celebrity website

Itinerary Change Celebrity Mercury - (March 15, 2010) - During Celebrity Mercury's last sailing, a number of guests onboard experienced a gastrointestinal illness, thought to be a norovirus. In an abundance of caution, we are conducting extensive and thorough sanitizing onboard the ship and within the cruise terminal, as recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, to help prevent any illness from affecting the next sailing.

Regrettably, in order to conduct the extensive sanitizing, it is necessary to delay the departure of Celebrity Mercury March 19 sailing by two days. Boarding is now anticipated to take place on Sunday, March 21 between 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. Seating in the cruise terminal at the Port of Charleston is very limited. Therefore, we ask that guests scheduled to depart on this sailing not arrive at the pier on Sunday before 4:00 p.m. We apology for this delay and any inconvenience it may cause our guests.

Due to the delayed departure, it was necessary to make some adjustments to the planned itinerary. Celebrity Mercury will now departed Charleston on Sunday, March 21, be at sea Monday; visit Key West, Florida, Tuesday; Cozumel, Mexico, Wednesday; Costa Maya, Mexico, Thursday; at sea Friday; Nassau, Bahamas, Saturday; and at sea Sunday.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/travelAlert.do?pagename=travel_alert_1&x=19&y=11

on the Celebrity website

Itinerary Change Celebrity Mercury - (March 15, 2010) - During Celebrity Mercury's last sailing, a number of guests onboard experienced a gastrointestinal illness, thought to be a norovirus. In an abundance of caution, we are conducting extensive and thorough sanitizing onboard the ship and within the cruise terminal, as recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, to help prevent any illness from affecting the next sailing.

Regrettably, in order to conduct the extensive sanitizing, it is necessary to delay the departure of Celebrity Mercury March 19 sailing by two days. Boarding is now anticipated to take place on Sunday, March 21 between 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. Seating in the cruise terminal at the Port of Charleston is very limited. Therefore, we ask that guests scheduled to depart on this sailing not arrive at the pier on Sunday before 4:00 p.m. We apology for this delay and any inconvenience it may cause our guests.

Due to the delayed departure, it was necessary to make some adjustments to the planned itinerary. Celebrity Mercury will now departed Charleston on Sunday, March 21, be at sea Monday; visit Key West, Florida, Tuesday; Cozumel, Mexico, Wednesday; Costa Maya, Mexico, Thursday; at sea Friday; Nassau, Bahamas, Saturday; and at sea Sunday.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/travelAlert.do?pagename=travel_alert_1&x=19&y=11

Thanks for the update Oldmanbob!!! So Tuggers was right.

For Tuggers or anyone else who is on the Mercury now. My best friend's elderly parents (86 and 88) are on the ship now and she's frantic about their well being. Does anyone know anything about Glendine and Albert Lowe. If anyone has run across them, can you please post it. Thanks.

I also wish you well Tuggers as well as all those on board who are affected. I know how much you were looking forward to this trip and now to have it cut short etc. Hopefully X will sort out compensation for those affected by the new schedule. I just wish all of you well and a safe journey home at the end of the cruise.

Sue

This morning's Charleston paper has front page article on the Mercury and says they are recommending a 4 day hold on the ship. Thus, if this is true, the next cruise will not start until Monday. :mad:

The time they're leaving is posted on the Celebrity site. Sunday. Check-in between 4 and 6 PM.

I don't think it is fair to put the blame for Mercury's Noro Virus problem on the people of South Carolina. People come from everywhere to this port. Anyone could have brought it on board from any country, state or city. It sounds as if SC residents are completely to blame. There are no more viral outbreaks here than in other parts of the country. It happened and will continue to happen on any and all ships as long as people travel. I really hate this happened to Mercury on their first sailings out of this area because we were so looking forward to possibly having frequent Celebrity sailings from Charleston. Such a convenient port for a lot of travelers.

'countrystate/city" represented could have been the culprit. Some are making it sound as if tdhe virus is restricted to us here in South Carolina.

Bonnie - I agree. Tuggers has been posting that things were getting better. I hope she didn't get "the bug" and is not feeling well.

We sail on the 29th and hope that this 4 day lay-over works. The CDC has allowed this ship to sail these past 3 cruises so they didn't seem that concerned about a thorough cleaning not being done.

We wait and see their findings but plan on sailing on the 29th and spending time in Charleston. We can't blame any one city or state - we can blame those who are not cautious. This virus is all over the east coast so anyone arriving in Charleston could conceiveably be carriers.

Oh well, let's see what happens.

Pat C

TUGGERS:

We are still coming to Charleston for the cruise leaving on Sunday, 8 P.M. We have cancelled our reservations at Marriott because they had no rooms for Friday night, only Saturday night. We are booked at a small hotel in Mt. Pleasant. If you are signed up for the pre cruise dinner, we are still having it on Saturday night, if we have enough interest and not too many cancellations. Please go to our board and let us know if you are still cruising with us.

Beth

Hi Beth, Scott here...are you having deja vu? Hope y'all have a great cruise. We are on Solstice in May. We live in Bowling Green, KY now! All the best to you both. S.

Hey Scott!

I am not one bit worried about the condition of the ship. It will be CLEAN!

As you are aware, because you were with us, our 15 day Hawaiian cruise was delayed because of outbreak of Novo on previous sailing........the ship was being cleaned and cloroxed every minute of every day and night while we were on the ship and as far as I know no other passengers got sick on our cruise.

Other than changing Motel reservations and being a little disappointed that we are cut short...we are A OK and ready and waiting.

Hope y'all are doing good in your new home.

Sail with us again...we will try to be on our best behavior!

Beth

Archived