Carnival is cracking down on smuggling

Krissta

[quote name='Charleyann']Just got off the Carnival Imagination on March 5/2010. I walk on with a soft sided cooler with 6 beer in it. Never hid it. Infact it was in a carnval imagination cooler bag I purchased from Carnival in December...

four of my friends filled 6 water bottles with vodka and walked right in with that.

In Mexico I bought a 40oz bottle of Kahlau, came back to the ship , put it through the scanner and they didn't even hold it until the end of the cruise.

In there are tighter rules in affect, it was a piss poor job they were doing! Everything was in the open and nothing was hidden. it seems there is too much scaring going on....

Charleyann[/quote]

I have a friend who was on this cruise with a bunch of 40 yr old women. SIL of my friend got called to the "naughty room". It scared the hell out of her! LOL She asked the security guy if she was going to jail! LOL He very nicely told her to relax by the end of the cruise he would have 4 sheets filled with people who got their stuff taken. He also told her they are cracking down because liquor sales is where they make their money.

[quote name='MrsZee']Seems a little idiotic by the steward. Whatdya wanna bet that person removed their auto tips.[/QUOTE]

They have placed placed a bounty on smuggled booze. Turn the guest in and get $50. At least they know they would get something for their work.

[quote name='emtnmare']They have placed placed a bounty on smuggled booze. Turn the guest in and get $50. At least they know they would get something for their work.[/QUOTE]

I read something like that before.:D

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1158451#15[/url]

Bill

[quote name='Meredisney']Great Photo. Thanks for sharing.

So, let me get this straight....this is the screening process for alcohol packed in luggage? How do they know the difference between a bottle of mouthwash and a bottle of alcohol? I'm being really serious, not making a joke. What is it that they look for? The shape of the bottle, etc?[/quote]

My cousin had to go to the naughty room for bringing on a bottle last month. No biggie. The security dude said that the new x-ray in Miami shows the alcohol as a different color on the screen than say, water or soda. And that different alcohol shows up as different colors! I can't imagine this is true. Can anyone with technical knowledge in the field comment?

Since the Detroit airline incident at Christmas security at airports, at US borders, by customs and on cruise ships has become more intensive. It's for all of our protection so if they find some booze in the process it's part of it. I'd rather have more intense security at embarcation than a terror incident on a cruise ship at sea.

Do you really believe that? I'm sorry, I do not. Carnival is not doing anything they haven't done before, just more of it. The new Xray machines are the new trend in scanning equipment, Carnival is following suit.

I don't understand all the smuggling, I like my drinks as well but there is no way I could drink in a week what these folks take on board. For me buying my drinks from the bar is the way to go heck I am on vacation and sneeking around to save a buck is so child like.

All I can say keep smuggling and you will see an increase in cruise fares not just on beverages onboard.

The prices are going to increase anyway, 5% increase already announced for March 22 (I think is the date). I find it....hmmmm...handy, that the new "crack down" on smuggling happens to coincide with the increase in across the board alcohol sales and fare increases.

Do you really believe that? I'm sorry, I do not. Carnival is not doing anything they haven't done before, just more of it. The new Xray machines are the new trend in scanning equipment, Carnival is following suit.

The prices are going to increase anyway, 5% increase already announced for March 22 (I think is the date). I find it....hmmmm...handy, that the new "crack down" on smuggling happens to coincide with the increase in across the board alcohol sales and fare increases.

where did it say alcohol prices were going up also?

I don't drink much so really wont bother me but like to keep up to date with current policies.

Bill

I have heard that mixed drinks have gone up as well as beer. I am buying a bottle thru Bon Voyage to try to minimize the damage:)

I think it is only fair to recognize that increased scruity at embarcation has more to do with incrimental alcohol revenue than internation security.

I don't understand all the smuggling, I like my drinks as well but there is no way I could drink in a week what these folks take on board. For me buying my drinks from the bar is the way to go heck I am on vacation and sneeking around to save a buck is so child like.

All I can say keep smuggling and you will see an increase in cruise fares not just on beverages onboard.

LOL....LOL....LOL alert.... y'all are just killin' me on this thread!! You're paying a couple G's for the cruise and fretting about spending 100 bucks on drinks for a week? Gimme a break!

Oh, you say it's 150? 200? Puh-leez. If you're drinking that much, trust me, whether Carnival seizes your smuggled booze is the least of your problems. :(

the law says you allowed to bring in two liters per person

The law says nothing of the kind. It says you can bring X amount back into the US without paying duty but has nothing to do with what you can take out of the US and onto a cruise ship.

They have placed placed a bounty on smuggled booze. Turn the guest in and get $50. At least they know they would get something for their work.

Urban legend. $50 is less than the 10/day auto-tip.

LOL....LOL....LOL alert.... y'all are just killin' me on this thread!! You're paying a couple G's for the cruise and fretting about spending 100 bucks on drinks for a week? Gimme a break!

Oh, you say it's 150? 200? Puh-leez. If you're drinking that much, trust me, whether Carnival seizes your smuggled booze is the least of your problems. :(

Another goody two shoes tea totaler! Great!!!

In looking for info regarding new screening machines, I came across this blurb on eHow -

Hide anything non-metallic anywhere on your person.

It's not airport security, but it's close. No one gets frisked, but you do go through a metal detector. If you want to tape a minibar around your legs and chest, as long as you aren't clinking and don't beep at the metal detector, you'll be ok.

:D

In looking for info regarding new screening machines, I came across this blurb on eHow -

Hide anything non-metallic anywhere on your person.

It's not airport security, but it's close. No one gets frisked, but you do go through a metal detector. If you want to tape a minibar around your legs and chest, as long as you aren't clinking and don't beep at the metal detector, you'll be ok.

:D

What about the metal caps on the bottles?

Originally Posted by emtnmare viewpost.gif

So you really think that Carnival would turn their employees into snitches? LOL! I would immediately take the tip off, and that $50.00 "bounty" that Carnival would pay WOULD increase everyone's rate. I believe Carnival has more class than that. :rolleyes:

I'm assuming you'd find ones with plastic lids / rum runners etc.

Hopefully the tape used won't rip off too much body hair...

Between my husband and I, we end up with maybe 4 drinks purchased over the course of a cruise so smuggling makes no sense to me...

The room steward's SUPERVISORS DO randomly check rooms and they DON'T share in the tips. I can't imagine a room steward ratting out a passenger, but would not be at all surprised if SUPERVISORS did it routinely.

I know it sounds crazy, but some people spend a ton on alcohol on these boats and makes the while to smuggle or not a big issue. I am good for maybe 2-3 drinks a day tops on vacation, so it really is a small issue to me. My coworker went on a cruise last year with her husband, they spend $1400 on alcohol. I can't comment on their lifestyle, but obviously for better or worse it IS an big deal to them!

LOL!!!!

This post reads like a game of telephone. The OP made an unfounded statement and the responders jumped to all kinds of conclusions as to what happened. I'm laughing because they're all probably wrong.

Oh, this thread is about telephones? Sorry. In that case my cell works well as sea but is costly, hope that helps.;)

The metal is too thin to have any mass. The same with having bullets in your pocket. The walk through metal detector will not pick it up. Think about your blue jeans with the metal zipper and pop rivets, it does not set off the metal detector. Most belt buckles will not either.

Dave

The metal is too thin to have any mass. The same with having bullets in your pocket. The walk through metal detector will not pick it up. Think about your blue jeans with the metal zipper and pop rivets, it does not set off the metal detector. Most belt buckles will not either.

Dave

Dave, you're not supposed to talk about the bullets in my pocket. :eek:

LOL!!!!

This post reads like a game of telephone. The OP made an unfounded statement and the responders jumped to all kinds of conclusions as to what happened. I'm laughing because they're all probably wrong.

I quoted, directly, my cabin steward.

Archived