What is the pay structure of the employees on the Disney cruise?

JaneHughes

Take turns sleeping? THey share a small cabin' date=' not a bed. Maybe a snoring roommate was keeping someone awake.[/quote']

They seriously made it sound that way to her, lol! I asked her if she seriously meant in one bed and she said yes! I had my doubts as to her understanding of it, but thought it was funny that despite thinking that she still wants to have that job.

My understanding is that on DCL the rooms sleep 2 CMs. Occasionally one will be lucky enough to be assigned to a room as a single' date=' but a roommate may be placed in the room at any time. I've been told (no real confirmation) that they never put people from the same department together in a room because they don't want them 2 people who work together to be out sick at the same time. They have standards that must be maintained with room inspections on a regular basis. They can clean the room themselves or pay to have it cleaned to meet the requirements.

Married CMs will eventually be assigned to room together, although a room change can take a couple of weeks. On our last cruise, our server was newly married to another CM and they were looking forward to being assigned to the same room! I had to laugh...but they had married less than a month before our cruise.[/quote']

Hi Moki. The only reason I know some rooms are up to 6, is there was one of the Disney cruise ship shows about 4 or 5 years ago where they showed the cabins.

AKK

Hi Moki. The only reason I know some rooms are up to 6' date=' is there was one of the Disney cruise ship shows about 4 or 5 years ago where they showed the cabins.

AKK[/quote']

I can't say that there aren't rooms for more than 2, but every CM I've talked to has had a room for either 1 or 2. The singles are few and far between until you hit officer level, but they do exist (or so one CM told us as he claimed he had one for that contract and was DELIGHTED to have it).

Yes, I've seen the party video with tons of people in one room, but I took it that they were just hanging out there, not living.

Moki you are correct!:D. The DCL vessels and most of the newer vessels on the better lines' date=' have cabins that sleep hotel type staff, with 2 to 6 persons per room. Not very big, but no one sleeps in the same bed. They sleep in shifts because some work in shifts.

AKK[/quote']

Skipper,

Respectfully, i'm not sure what you saw or where, but DCL do NOT have cabins that sleep 6 CM's.

The Magic class has single, twin or three person cabins. I 'think' there may have been a couple of four berth cabins, but if there were they were very few. I cannot believe that the Dream class has 6 berth cabins. It would be too crazy scheduling use of the bathroom and own personal space outside of their bunk.

You are correct that no one has to hot bunk, each CM has their own bunk or bed.

ex techie

• 2 weeks later...

A good evaluation of how workers on a cruise ship live is a book by David Bruns Cruise Confidential it covers his experiences as the only American lasting several years working for Carnival. The hours and conditions of his job and the pay helped me appreciate the service I receive while on a ship