Thread - Is It Rude to Ask Someone to change cabins

Crystalbast

This is regards to the thread that someone started asking if it was rude to ask the people in the middle between the OP and his/her friends to swap cabins so that the friends can be next door. Evidently there was also a shared door between the OP and the mystery neighbors.

I looked for the thread and could not find it.

Did it dawn on anyone that in order for the OP couple to be next door to one another and have the shared door it is the friends that would have had to switch cabins with the mystery neighbors?

To me that makes the request even worse. They wanted to inconvenience not only the mystery neighbors but their friends as well. :rolleyes: :eek:

Just an observation. :D

The thread was pulled because in their haste to define what was or was not rude, posters became, well, rude. So let's not continue here, nobody needs to post what they think about making such a request.

But to answer your question about who would have to switch, I believe you are mistaken. OP had cabin 1, strangers had cabin 2, friends of OP had cabin 3. Connecting door is between cabin 2&3.

Very often people book a specific cabin after a lot of research and forethought. What that means is that they likely booked it for a reason and based on that, I believe it would be rude to suggest they move but that is only my opinion. I wouldn't do it.

I don't think it would be rude to *ask*. Just because someone asks you certainly doesn't mean one should feel obligated to do this...or guilty for not.

I am someone who will be cruising and in a cabin that wasn't one I selected...it met most of my needs, but isn't where I would have chosen if more cabins were available. So, I wouldn't be bothered moving at all...in a situation like this. Unless, of course, it was to a room that wasn't as nice.

I don't know. I just don't see the big deal with simply asking (although I myself wouldn't do it)...as long as the askers aren't rude or resentful if turned down.

If someone would ask me to switch cabins with them the only way I would say yes is it would to be a major upgrade, at their expense. And in a good location.

Honestly though if someone could ask me to switch I would have to tell me "I rather not."

No way I would switch. I pay more so I can select my room, otherwise I would do the fun whatever option where you just pick the level which is sometimes cheaper. If they gambled and got split rooms or booked late and had to split, I'm sorry but that's how it goes if you are late booking or book that option.

I think it is a little rude to ask. Especially if the other cruiser is already unpacked. If they threw in 3-5 hundred dollars to trade cabins, then I don't think anyone would be too offended.

• 2 weeks later...

I do think it's rude to ask. It puts someone who turns the asker down in an uncomfortable situation "living" now between two sets of friends for the rest of the cruise and feeling they are the inconveniencer. The friends had to either know in advance they were a cabin apart or had to have chosen the "cruise ship assigns" option - whichever way they did it was their own fault, and no one should have to either pack up or feel uncomfortable for not packing up.

Archived