Stuff this cruising lark!!

ruddock

Maybe i have been very naive,Yet i thought cruising was meant to be relaxing and fairly safe!!

Recent events and reading "events of the sea" were the final straw for my wife and myself...We cancelled our 1st ever cruise!!

Being fair my wife was never keen in the first instance as she has fear of water..Viewing incidents never really helped the situation and watching rogue waves tear through windows finally made up her mind,Mine as well.

Seems to us most of the crew have little idea which begs the question are they just there to serve drinks and make food..Adverse weather conditions are simply out of control YET captains are obliged to plough on regardless.

We are staying on dry land..............Sorry folks.

Its a shame that you chose to cancel after what has been a pretty bad week or so for the industry.

Cruising tends to have the same bad press as flying...and airliner goes down and all wotsit breaks out in the media, making it to be the worst thing ever to do when in reality flying (and cruising) are still the safest forms of leisure travel around.

Accidents happen...at the end of the day going to sleep is potentially dangerous, you might not ever wake up again, but on the whole it doesn't stop anyone from going to bed at night.

Nothing in life will ever be 100% safe but try and not let two really rare & unusual incidents put you right off the idea of taking a cruise completely. Try a 3-4 day mini cruise and give it a chance to get under your skin. Cruising isn't for everyone but you won't know til you try and I am sure you will be happily reassured that just like aircrashes, incidents with cruise ships are really few and far between when you consider the many millions of us who cruise each year.

Maybe i have been very naive,Yet i thought cruising was meant to be relaxing and fairly safe!!

Recent events and reading "events of the sea" were the final straw for my wife and myself...We cancelled our 1st ever cruise!!

Being fair my wife was never keen in the first instance as she has fear of water..Viewing incidents never really helped the situation and watching rogue waves tear through windows finally made up her mind,Mine as well.

Seems to us most of the crew have little idea which begs the question are they just there to serve drinks and make food..Adverse weather conditions are simply out of control YET captains are obliged to plough on regardless.

We are staying on dry land..............Sorry folks.

The power of tabloid 'journalism' to blow:eek: everything out of proportion....

Cruising is relaxing and safe: if you allow yourself to relax and enjoy!

Judging from your few past posts you would have come to your cruise with a basically negative attitude, then either stiffed the crew on their 'tips' - which should properly be named salary as they only get about a pound a day otherwise - or alternively would have paid them but still been unhappy about it .... and unhappiness can never be the object of a holiday.

This 'tips' issue stems from what the market demands because the line with the lower 'sticker price' gets more business, you are paying wages separately: the crew are not to blame, the cruiselines only to a lesser extent: we 'the public' apparently force things to be that way.

Through your posts you come across as if you would have brought back a terrible holiday experience, but please don't blame that on Costa or any other cruise line. Maybe your decision is the right one in your circumstances, then it is better for you to have cancelled.

Gee OP I take it you DO NOT get into a car every day - right?!? THAT is by far more dangereous. Cruising in the med in winter can have its down sides and bear in mind that this year is an El Ninio year which cause weather hick ups all around the globe.

The power of tabloid 'journalism' to blow:eek: everything out of proportion....

Cruising is relaxing and safe: if you allow yourself to relax and enjoy!

Judging from your few past posts you would have come to your cruise with a basically negative attitude, then either stiffed the crew on their 'tips' - which should properly be named salary as they only get about a pound a day otherwise - or alternively would have paid them but still been unhappy about it .... and unhappiness can never be the object of a holiday.

This 'tips' issue stems from what the market demands because the line with the lower 'sticker price' gets more business, you are paying wages separately: the crew are not to blame, the cruiselines only to a lesser extent: we 'the public' apparently force things to be that way.

Through your posts you come across as if you would have brought back a terrible holiday experience, but please don't blame that on Costa or any other cruise line. Maybe your decision is the right one in your circumstances, then it is better for you to have cancelled.

Where i come from tipping is not compulsary..Cruise lines offer the public a certain price and as far as i am concerned that price is set in stone!!..Yet it appears the crew are paid a pittance so joe public has to pick up the tab..Furthermore cruise lines do not want passengers taking onboard drinks in order they can be ripped off by paying top prices at the bar plus 15% service charge!!

Maybe its about time the crews went out on strike instead of relying on passengers.

Nothing negative from me whatsoever apart from voicing my own valid opinions...I often tip when i choose too..Cannot understand why i or anyone else should be forced into tipping.....But hey ho.

Gee OP I take it you DO NOT get into a car every day - right?!? THAT is by far more dangereous. Cruising in the med in winter can have its down sides and bear in mind that this year is an El Ninio year which cause weather hick ups all around the globe.

I was about to post the same thing. You best not drive anymore either.

It is such a shame that you cancelled your 1st ever cruise. :(

We where on a Costa cruise last year (September) and had the exact same stops and the weather was perfect VERY smooth sailing. We have sailed a couple of times in the Med and have had no trouble with weather, incidents or crew.

I really think that you should have a go at cruising, if you don't try, you will always be thinking "what if". Life is to short for "what iff's".:rolleyes:

Where i come from tipping is not compulsary..Cruise lines offer the public a certain price and as far as i am concerned that price is set in stone!!..Yet it appears the crew are paid a pittance so joe public has to pick up the tab..Furthermore cruise lines do not want passengers taking onboard drinks in order they can be ripped off by paying top prices at the bar plus 15% service charge!!

Maybe its about time the crews went out on strike instead of relying on passengers.

Nothing negative from me whatsoever apart from voicing my own valid opinions...I often tip when i choose too..Cannot understand why i or anyone else should be forced into tipping.....But hey ho.

Were I come from we tip.

Crew is not paid so bad, they get free room and board and their pay is tax free.

Do you bring your own drinks when you go out to dinner?? I don't understand why anyone would want to drag extra things with them, I understand if you have children with you and you bring juice boxes and water.

After reading both your posts I think you don't really want to cruise and is useing anything you can think of not to cruise. Cruising is not for everyone.

Enjoy whatever vacation you go on.

Just to clarify we are not mean people!!

When i contacted the agent to confirm our cancellation..We were informed our deposit of £400 would be lost....I was not concerned in the slightest regarding the money.

Watching on u tube the greek liner going down whilst the captain and crew saved themselves and left the passengers was bizarre to say the least.

Still amazed at the amount of illness on board ships which happens time and time again..Add the other minor facts of murder,rape,crashes,listing,fires,running aground .

When i contacted the agent to confirm our cancellation..We were informed our deposit of £400 would be lost....I was not concerned in the slightest regarding the money.

Watching on u tube the greek liner going down whilst the captain and crew saved themselves and left the passengers was bizarre to say the least.

Still amazed at the amount of illness on board ships which happens time and time again..Add the other minor facts of murder,rape,crashes,listing,fires,running aground .

Marie, you are right.... He really does not want to go on a cruise, and uses anything he can think of....:rolleyes:

Gee did you see WHEN that was AND how old that ship was?! Oh yes and NO ONE went down with the ship!!! Everyone was off the ship with in th 3 hours. Thanks to the SA Defence Force who brought in some great equipment. Over and above that most of the ships afloat today are realatively new (speaking in ships terms) because as of this year a new set of safety rules came into power (solas 2010). As to crime well we are talking small cities in some cases there is bond to be someone not playing by the rules but then again you don't even leave your house since it seems you are not confronted with such at home. Holidyas / Vacations are not bubbles they are every day life reguardless of it being on bord a ship or on land.

You know in your case I will say STAY AT HOME. If you allow a little sensationilsm to get the better of you, you really shouldn't leave home.

Gee did you see WHEN that was AND how old that ship was?! Oh yes and NO ONE went down with the ship!!! Everyone was off the ship with in th 3 hours. Thanks to the SA Defence Force who brought in some great equipment. Over and above that most of the ships afloat today are realatively new (speaking in ships terms) because as of this year a new set of safety rules came into power (solas 2010). As to crime well we are talking small cities in some cases there is bond to be someone not playing by the rules but then again you don't even leave your house since it seems you are not confronted with such at home. Holidyas / Vacations are not bubbles they are every day life reguardless of it being on bord a ship or on land.

You know in your case I will say STAY AT HOME. If you allow a little sensationilsm to get the better of you, you really shouldn't leave home.

On the contrary

We are now booked to tour Italy for 2 weeks....Should be a hoot.

Dont worry about me chuckles...You have a good time........Gee!

On the contrary

We are now booked to tour Italy for 2 weeks....Should be a hoot.

Dont worry about me chuckles...You have a good time........Gee!

As long as you can stay away from watching bus crashes on youtube you'll be all right then. Have a good one!

Archived