Cape Liberty/Bayonne 411 - New and Improved!

megr1125

Would it be better to take the shuttle to Newark and then catch the train to NY Penn?

Thanks again!

that's the easiest...you could do it cheaper, but it's only, hmmm...let's see, 1 stop basically. you'd hop the shuttle, get off at stop P4. then go up the escalator, get on the monorail to the EWR Airport rail station..you can buy your tickets from the vending machine (it's about 15 bucks as part of the money is, essentially a "tax" to access/use/pay for the monorail...:eek::rolleyes::p (welcome to jersey where i bet the new guy raises that fee too! oops.....sorry)

then you get on the train (NJ Transit) to NY Penn...and then you're all set to get onto amtrak...just allow yourself enough time....as with this past weekend, all rail service (NJT) was suspended...due to rain.

www.njtransit.com

the PATH thing is Ok, BUT...IMO the option above is the least annoying...

you could do a cab to the light rail station just outside the pier, then get on to Hoboken (IIRC) then take the PATH either to 33rd street and cab it or walk to Penn station..OR take the PATH Back to Newark's downtown rail station and hop onto NJT....

If you take the shuttle to Newark Airport, that is $15/pp. Airtrain to NY is another $15/pp, so you are going to spend at least $60. Cab to Newark Penn Station should be about $50 and train to New York $4/pp which is a similar amount of money and a lot more direct than wandering around the Airtrain monorail at Newark Airport to get onto the NJ Transit train.

We're taking Dial7 from Cape Liberty pier to Times Square the day we get back for $50 plus tip. That's a lot easier and more direct than going to Newark Penn and taking another train. So, just book a car service directly to NY Penn.

There are a few threads on car services, just do a search and you'll get info on them. Plenty of others have used them between NY and NJ. Not sure why some think using a car service is a problem between those locations. That's why they're there. Cabs are a different story as they can charge whatever they want and they don't have to go between NY and NJ.

That sounds like an excellent deal - does that price include tolls? I'm sure some of the car service quotes are affected by the day of the week. IMO early Sunday morning is the easiest traffic time going between NJ and NY.

That sounds like an excellent deal - does that price include tolls? I'm sure some of the car service quotes are affected by the day of the week. IMO early Sunday morning is the easiest traffic time going between NJ and NY.

I read this in Dial7 website:"*Rates do not include tolls or gratuity":(

We're taking Dial7 from Cape Liberty pier to Times Square the day we get back for $50 plus tip. That's a lot easier and more direct than going to Newark Penn and taking another train. So, just book a car service directly to NY Penn.

There are a few threads on car services, just do a search and you'll get info on them. Plenty of others have used them between NY and NJ. Not sure why some think using a car service is a problem between those locations. That's why they're there. Cabs are a different story as they can charge whatever they want and they don't have to go between NY and NJ.

$50.00 DOES NOT include tolls or tips. It will be about $75.00-80 total with tip. You will pay tolls both ways on the turnpike and one way on the bridge or tunnel. Total tolls about $13-15, depending on routing.

it is NOT run by rccl..it is run by some port managing company thinggie...and the people there work in NYC and/or Brooklyn too....

not 100% sure by try this...google is your friend if you dont get too specific...i actually got THAT by finding PANYNJ stuff and clicking.....took all of .30 seconds! heeheehee

http://www.portsamerica.com/

if they don't actually employ the workers, they probably know who to call! good luck

Meg, thanks for your help. I found a name to email, and asked for assistance.

P.S. You were just on the Explorer w/ my parents, 2nd leg of your B2B. Man hearing about that listing was scary!

Thanks again.

Arriving on the Summit, June 20th. Is a 12:30 flight out of LGA to early. Will reserve a car.

Thanks

You will be pushing it. Will you make it??? Who knows!!

It is an hour drive from Cape Liberty to LGA. You need to check in 2 hours before your flight. Means you MUST be off the ship and into your car by 9:30.

New York airports can be very crowded and chaotic and security lines can be very long.

I would book a later flight myself. Just too many things can happen. If you miss your flight, your ticket CAN be canceled. Walk up tickets are generally very expensive.

Hello again!

Thanks for all advices!

We are starting to have a plan:

Monday:From Newark Airport to NYC midtown

we will use super-shuttle direct to our hotel door (+- 68$ for 4 people with 4 luggages)

Sunday:From NYC to Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal

Train PATH-->Hoboken--> NJ Hudson-Bergen Light Rail-->taxi to pier (less than 10 $ p/person)

Thursday morning:From Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal to NYC midtown(because we don’t want to spend all day in airport…our fligh is around 8:30 p.m.):

taxi (+- 80$…I guess…:rolleyes:) (I supose that there are taxis around the pier...)

Thursday afternoon: NYC to Newark airport: taxi (+- 80$)

On Sunday we’ll save money, so we must configure to use the taxi possibility in thursday…It’s more expensive (mamma-mia!:eek:) but it’s our last day of vacation, (maybe our last day in New York for 5 or more years), prior to 8 hours flight…we need to relax…And in my mind one doubt appears: where can we get a taxi in Midtown? Are there everywhere or there are a specific place to get one? (silly question?I'm trying to figure out but I can't find a place whre I can get this information):confused::o

This is our plan "A"...In 80 ays I supose that we'll have more 10 plans...lol

Once again thank you for the precious information, specially councerning to Cape Liberty Cruise Port.

If you take the shuttle to Newark Airport, that is $15/pp. Airtrain to NY is another $15/pp, so you are going to spend at least $60. Cab to Newark Penn Station should be about $50 and train to New York $4/pp which is a similar amount of money and a lot more direct than wandering around the Airtrain monorail at Newark Airport to get onto the NJ Transit train.

See that's why we tag team.....sometimes delierium (sp) and/or exhaustion and/or brain spasms set in.....

there was a reason (maybe) why i didn't think of that.....:o:p

Hello again!

Thanks for all advices!

We are starting to have a plan:

Monday:From Newark Airport to NYC midtown

we will use super-shuttle direct to our hotel door (+- 68$ for 4 people with 4 luggages)

OK.....super shuttle is kind of new up here and it may take a while....if you've ever used the 'blue vans' in other parts of the USA on your travels, well, this may not be as well run...but SHOULD be ok.

Sunday:From NYC to Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal

Train PATH-->Hoboken--> NJ Hudson-Bergen Light Rail-->taxi to pier (less than 10 $ p/person)

sounds OK to me...

Thursday morning:From Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal to NYC midtown(because we don’t want to spend all day in airport…our fligh is around 8:30 p.m.):

taxi (+- 80$…I guess…:rolleyes:) (I supose that there are taxis around the pier...)

expect to wait....they tend to try and fill up vans into NYC as it i smore cost effective for the company (and presumably the traveler....) In my experience they tend to NOT send a cab or van cab binto NYC, rather a 10 person or so van that will be jam packed....

if it were me and if you could swing the cost, i would try and prearrange a car service....it will be faster....

if you are going to store your bags near Penn station, you COULD hop the train back if you give yourself enough time....just a thought....

Thursday afternoon: NYC to Newark airport: taxi (+- 80$)

On Sunday we’ll save money, so we must configure to use the taxi possibility in thursday…It’s more expensive (mamma-mia!:eek:) but it’s our last day of vacation, (maybe our last day in New York for 5 or more years), prior to 8 hours flight…we need to relax…And in my mind one doubt appears: where can we get a taxi in Midtown? Are there everywhere or there are a specific place to get one? (silly question?I'm trying to figure out but I can't find a place whre I can get this information):confused::o

ANYPLACE...they are everywhere...My personal preference...go to a bigger hotel, and ask them to get one...they usually hang out close to the big hotels, for example the NY Marriott Marquis in Times Square...and tip the doorman a few bucks (really in most of those places all they do is whistle or flag one.....)

This is our plan "A"...In 80 ays I supose that we'll have more 10 plans...lol

Once again thank you for the precious information, specially councerning to Cape Liberty Cruise Port.

you're welcome...see my comments above....

I am one happy camper because of all the helpful people who start and maintain this and other threads. I wouldn't know where to begin without their help! I feel like I have found my way around Newark Airport, I can find my way around the PATH and take a bus into Manhattan all because of this board. Way to go to all you wondeful posters, especially to 138 east, megr1125, and everyone else. God bless you big!

I am one happy camper because of all the helpful people who start and maintain this and other threads. I wouldn't know where to begin without their help! I feel like I have found my way around Newark Airport, I can find my way around the PATH and take a bus into Manhattan all because of this board. Way to go to all you wondeful posters, especially to 138 east, megr1125, and everyone else. God bless you big!

Thanks! :)

Hi all! I am sooo excited to have just booked Explorer for this coming October 23-28 to celebrate hubby's and my 20th anniversary! This is our first cruise in 10 years! :eek:

We would like to do a "dry run" to the port, get a feel for the lay of the land, etc. I was wondering if there is a good out of the way place to watch sail-away.

Thanks so much for all of you! The info on this board is amazing!

Hi all! I am sooo excited to have just booked Explorer for this coming October 23-28 to celebrate hubby's and my 20th anniversary! This is our first cruise in 10 years! :eek:

We would like to do a "dry run" to the port, get a feel for the lay of the land, etc. I was wondering if there is a good out of the way place to watch sail-away.

Thanks so much for all of you! The info on this board is amazing!

Not really i dont think.....Liberty state park is a little north-ish of the pier so you wouldn't really see anything..

IMO you'd have to get over to staten island...Maybe the SI Ferry??? The ship went past the SI side of the ferry terminal...

(i am looking at the google satellite of the area!:D)

that won't really get you the lay of the land....(while a dry run isn't a bad idea, it is, well...kinda dry as in dull!:eek::p)

There is the 9/11 memorial that is near the pier...I am not sure where you'd park for that, nor if they permit people there when the ship is in port...but the ship goes by VERY closely (which is why i think you might NOT be able to get too close)

good luck.....

Hi! So happy to find this thread. We are traveling Sunday July 18 to board the Summit from Annapolis,MD. My girlfriend wants to leave her minivan for the week. Is there a cruise ship lot? How much? Monitiored? How far from terminal?

I've only cruised from Galveston,TX. Any advice greatly appreciated!:)

We are on the EOS January 2nd sailing and will be driving down 2-3 days early. We are going with another family so there will be 8 all together. For 2 cars for 14 days, that is 540$ just for parking. Where can we book a hotel for 2-3 nights and then take a cab (or van) to the port? We could leave our cars there for the time we are gone? Is this the best plan? Any suggestions?

melmich

there are only a couple places that have a park n cruise rate, and one you'd have to call direct to get the compete price with room, parking and shuttle...that is the country inn and suites newark/elizabeth..

I also stay at the Courtyard Newark Elizabeth...these 2 hotels, along with a Residence Inn are all next to each other, near a couple restaurants and an outlet mall...

(BTW see the link below for my blog, lots of info there, plus links and sometimes phone numbers..)

OR there is a Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island that should have this and will have a shuttle to the pier...it's under Hilton garden Inn New York City/Staten Island.

Other than those, depending on what you want to do, you could try other airport area hotels for a park n fly package and just book a car service (again, there are some suggestions on my blog)...

OR you could try a hotel in Secaucus, NJ and do the same thing...that's not too far from the airport...I don't think they would offer a park n fly per se, BUT you might be able to leave the cars there...

There are several options over there including a Renaissance (small parking lot though), Courtyard, Crowne Plaza and Embassy Suites for starters and a Sheraton (some may be under East Rutherford....pretty close to Secaucus...

They are all about 1-2 exits past the exit off the NJ TUrnpike to get to the pier area....

that's a start..i am sure carol (138east) or greatam will pop by. I usually stay by the airport instead of fiddling around by Secaucus but that's just my preference.

The airport hotels are, well, airport hotels in an urban area....not unsafe, more unattractive and without much to do...

You're coming down 2-3 days early, so I'm guessing you want to sightsee in NY. So you have two issues - where to stay that is convenient for 8 people to get to NY to sightsee and where to leave your car for 14 days while you are on the cruise. Is this what you're thinking? Unfortunately, the places you could park your car are not necessarily convenient for 8 people to run in and out of NY. Could you give us more details as to what you are thinking? If you're only going into NY for one day, then you can probably stay in a single hotel. But if you're going into NY for 2 days, you might want to think about staying someplace closer for 2 nights and then moving to the park/cruise hotel for the last night.

With the 'airtrain' you will board the free airport monorail and ride THAT to the EWR Airport rail station where you will get off the monorail and board a NJ Transit train into Manhattan via downtown Newark....

Actually, AirTrain is only free within the airport and to the parking lots. If one uses AirTrain to or from the railroad station, there is a fare of $5.50 per person, no discounts. Many railroad tickets purchased to or from the airport railroad station embed the AirTrain fare within the ticket price, but if the railroad ticket does not embed the AirTrain fare (such as when buying a ticket on the train, or using a lower-price ticket to a further point) then separate AirTrain tickets must be purchased for $5.50 each.

Actually, AirTrain is only free within the airport and to the parking lots. If one uses AirTrain to or from the railroad station, there is a fare of $5.50 per person, no discounts. Many railroad tickets purchased to or from the airport railroad station embed the AirTrain fare within the ticket price, but if the railroad ticket does not embed the AirTrain fare (such as when buying a ticket on the train, or using a lower-price ticket to a further point) then separate AirTrain tickets must be purchased for $5.50 each.

Technically you can ride the monorail TO the EWR Rail station...you just can't enter the NJT/Amtral station thru the fare gates unless you buy a ticket....Not that there is any reason to GO to the EWR Rail station unless you are getting ON a train (or are just bored and nutty like me riding the monorail around....:eek:)

Thus...to get onto an NJT train at the EWR rail station, you buy a ticket that includes the 5.50 'fare' (a/k/a TAX--wonder how much THAT will go up in the new budget:confused:) and use that ticket to get thru the gates and go down to the platform....

I believe that if you have an Amtrak ticket to get off at the EWR station you can just show your stub to the attendant and not have to pay the 5.50, but I've never taken amtrak to EWR.

Archived