Cape Liberty/Bayonne 411 - New and Improved!

megr1125

Ok...Here's a brain teaser for you...In two parts!!

We will be flying into LaGuardia on 6-9-10 for a cruise out of Cape Liberty on 6-10-10. We land at about 10pm on the 9th. Should we (and how?) go to NJ on the 9th, or stay in NYC, near the airport and wait untill the next day to head over to the port? I would like to do this as cheap as possible, but my wife is not a light packer, so I'd prefer to stay away from public transportation.

Second part of this brain teaser: We return to port on Saturday 6-19-10 and are going to spend the day and night in NYC. Our flight leaves Sun morning at 9am. Again, whats the best way to get around this schedule?

You input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sheldon

heehe...don't fly into LGA???:confused::p

let me sleep on it...my brain cant digest that much info...at this time of night.

i would say for the 2nd brain fart..OOPS part, get a car service from cape lib to your hotel..check my blog for a few ideas of ones to contact..

THEN cab it to LGA. I am not 100% sure, but i think it's a flat rate......

for part ONE...i would stay by the airport (not exciting, but you really just wanna sleep!) and get a car service to cape lib...

for THAT try www.carmellimo.com or www.dial7.com

(there may be a couple others on my blog...there is also one called Arecibo...which finally seems to have a website up..

http://www.arecibocc.com/)

HTH...maybe we will chew on this more and have other info tomorrow.

as for LGA area hotels, THAT i will sleep on...you want to avoid crappy ones..

As for hotels there is the LGA Marriott, Courtyard by Marriott, Crowne Plaza (might need fluffing up..), Hampton inn, Holiday Inn Express, Fairfield Inn by marriott and Sheraton. (some are listed as Flushing, some as east elmhurst)

I haven't stayed in any of them..i tend to stick with marriott as i am at the top of their frequent guest program.....and they are generally all clean, you know what you'll get.

some reviews for various hotels on trip advisor say the service is bad, rushed, slow (odd for NY) or rude...hate to say it...welcome to NY...not everyone is nice..(AND not everyone is NASTY....i have met many more nice people in NY than not...but i just want to give you an opinion..)

Here's Greatam's advice about the LGA hotels and Priceline:

"There are two very decent hotels around LGA-the Crowne Plaza and the Marriott. Directly across the road from each other and directly across the parkway from LGA. In fact, in the rear upper rooms at the Marriott, you can watch the runways (no noise).

You can generally get these two hotels on Priceline bidding for NO more than $125.00 per night, often just under $100 per night. Bid ONLY 3.5* in the LaGuardia airport area and you will ONLY get these hotels ."

By staying at LGA you will pay only the one car service fare to get to Bayonne. Staying at a park/cruise hotel in NJ is a deceptive savings - you pay for the hotel shuttle in the price of your room and you really have no use for the return transportation since you are actually going back to NY to spend the day and night.

Meg and Carol - were either of you able to find out anything about CARMINA LIMO WWW.carminalimo.com ? I spoke to a guy there once who quoted me $35 incl tolls from EWR to our Sheraton in Meadowlands. He also told me they were based in Bayonne. Can't find out much beyond their own website.

I posted this on the EOS 5/13/10 thread but never saw any answer beyond your first acknowledgement. When you get a chance could you see if you can find out if they are reputable? I know you ladies are really busy and do a great service to those of us who have never been to your turf. Thanks.

Susan (one of the sisters)

Book a car service...as NJ cabs dont have to take you to NYC....HOWEVER, the taxi line at the pier will often group people up into buses for a ride into NYC at a PP rate...IIRC it was about $20-25 bucks each AND you have to pay for little kids and babies as technically they must be in a carseat by NJ Law.

It's not a bad deal but you may have to wait for them to fill up the shuttle. I would arrange for a car service. I have used www.blackexecutivecars.com and www.trulimo.com

Another option is signature transportation which is based at the EWR Marriott Hotel.. You can call the hotel's number and ask for signature transportation (at least that's how i got them!) 973-623-0006. They were very nice and really tried to assist me when i got stranded at the airport, and last year when i was trying to move 20 people from the EWR area to the pier...and they were reasonable.

I'm thinking you are still looking at between $80-$125 or so.....but it will be money well spent and beleive me, you REALLY do NOT want to wait around in the taxi line...it can be long and everyone, from the dispatchers to the passengers can get EVIL!!!

Could you suggest how to get from Cape Liberty to LaGuardia?

Kim

I'm trying to think of something creative for you to do when you disembark. For the last folks who had this issue we suggested going to Newark Airport, renting a car (you would need a large car for 4 people and luggage), and driving to Liberty State Park in Jersey City to go to Ellis Island and/or the Statue of Liberty. If you really need to go back to NY, you could park the car at Journal Square, Grove St. or Exchange Place in Jersey City and take Path into NY. The cheapest way I can think of to do this is to have one person self-disembark and take a shuttle to Newark Airport and a shuttle to the car rental ($15). Rent the large car ($125) and come back to pick everyone up at the port. Then there are tolls, parking, and transportation to NY.

Another option is to bite the bullet and do the public transit thing - cab to the light rail station in Bayonne - $8 + good tip. Light rail to Hoboken - $1.95/pp. Path to 33rd St. - $1.75/pp. Cab to the luggage storage - $10-$15. Pay $7-$10/bag. Schwartz Travel is on 36th St between 8th & 9th Ave - you might be able to walk to Port Authority at 40th St to catch a bus back to Newark Airport - $15/pp. Or just arrange for a car service back to Newark.

It sounds like a lot of hassle, but it might be worth it to you to not sit around the airport all day waiting for your plane. Bottom line is that you are spending 5 days in NY and then going on a 5 day cruise to Bermuda in June when the weather should be warm - I would pack very light. This will make your lives much easier. You can find a place to wash your clothes before you go on the cruise. Don't be intimidated by the formal night on the Explorer. The ladies can get away with a nice dress (no formal gown) and the men could get away with a shirt, tie, and nice slacks (no tux).

you have so much knowledge! We arrive on April 25, 2010 at 7:am - debark 10:00 to 11:00. Can we catch a cab from Port (Cape Liberty) to Liberty Park and then go to Liberty Island in a minimum of 4 hours and actually see anything and then ferry back to Liberty Park cab to EWK and fly home successfully on a 6:30 flight?

I think you could do that, but what would you do with your luggage? The security to get out to the SOL is very tight - I don't think you could take luggage with you. That's the reason for the car rental suggestion. How many people are you? Could you self-disembark? The access to the SOL from NJ is much less crazy than the access from NY.

I think you could do that, but what would you do with your luggage? The security to get out to the SOL is very tight - I don't think you could take luggage with you. That's the reason for the car rental suggestion. How many people are you? Could you self-disembark? The access to the SOL from NJ is much less crazy than the access from NY.

There's just 2 of us. Supposedly Celebrity has a valet service that will pick up your luggage and check it in at the airport, you don't see it again until your plane lands at home.....but the car rental really MIGHT be the best idea! if it is an easy drive to Liberty State Park, the $40.00 for valet would go a LONG way. and yes we can self-disembark. That is generally what we always do!

OK - you seem to be doing a repositioning cruise arriving on Sunday, April 25. Sunday is a really good day to get around the NY metro area. Car rentals are more reasonable as well. If you self-disembark (7:30-8:30 am) you can take a shuttle to Newark Airport for $15/pp. This should let you off at P4 where you can pick up a rental car shuttle. Take a look at the map of Newark Airport to get an idea of how things work there. You would get on the NJ Turnpike and follow the signs to exits 14A, 14B, & 14C. Liberty State Park is exit 14B - about 20-25 minutes from the airport. They have a web site as well. There are two parking choices - free parking and a shuttle bus to the boat for $1.35 exact change or $5 commuter parking near the pier. I've never done this - I would call to see what they recommend. The commuter parking (assuming it's open) should be available early on a Sunday morning. You can make a reservation to go to the SOL (various levels of access) or you can just show up. Coming back you just do the reverse. You should have plenty of time to do all this and get back for a 6:30 flight.

OK - you seem to be doing a repositioning cruise arriving on Sunday, April 25. Sunday is a really good day to get around the NY metro area. Car rentals are more reasonable as well. If you self-disembark (7:30-8:30 am) you can take a shuttle to Newark Airport for $15/pp. This should let you off at P4 where you can pick up a rental car shuttle.

>snip<

You should have plenty of time to do all this and get back for a 6:30 flight.

actually you can take the airtrain to a station near the rental cars...

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-car-rental.html

they may also have shuttle buses which stop at various terminals..

Meg - that's good info about the rental cars. I missed that. The monorail sounds easier than trying to find a rental car shuttle. As you know, I drive to Cape Liberty and park at Newark Airport, so I haven't done the Cape Liberty to Newark Airport thing on a shuttle. I'm sure the OP can ask - Perhaps they can even be dropped off at P2 or P3.

Hi,

Thank you for your help!

My sister and I will be arriving on April 25th (Sunday) on the Summit and need to get to the Newark Amtrak Station to catch a 11:22 am train south.

What do you feel would be the best and/or least expensive transportation options for us?

Thanks again!

Sandi:)

[

Exactly where is your hotel in NYC? Are you willing to take public transportation? How much luggage will you have?

From the airport to NY on May 31st, Airtrain might work for you. New York Penn Station is very close to Macy's, so you might be able to walk it. This is $15/pp.

Going to Bayonne - this is the first day of your cruise. Unless you have something special to do in NYC that morning, you should plan to arrive in Bayonne between 10:30 and 11:00 am.

Last day - this is the real problem. This will cost you $200 plus $7-10/bag to check your luggage.

Once Again, Thank You for your help!

Our hotel is Wyndham Garden Hotel-Times Square South.

We were studing to use the NJ Train because the hotel is close to NY Penn Station...In other cities there were several places to put the luggage inside the train...If there are no place to put the luggage, probably we will use a airport cab...(we have one luggage which one = 4 luggages)

We normally arrive around 12:00 and are aboard around 12:30 pm...I was reading that this time will be more dificult to do it because the things don't run so fast like in Miami or Barcelona, for example.:( To be honest we will always have special things to do in NYC...it's my husband first time to the city and there are always lots of things to see and do....:p

$200?!:eek: OMG...

You can't check your bags in with the airline earlier than about 4 hours ahead. I do not think Explorer has the express bag check in as i don't fly to the port....

you may want to look into storing your luggage here:

http://www.schwartztravel.com/

that way you could arrange for a car service into NYC (see my blog for suggestions....) You could also try www.carmellimo.com or www.dial7.com but i am not 100% sure if they can/will pick up at the pier...

then you could do what you wish, and then get a car service back..cabs are meter (up to $75) plus round trip tolls plus $15 plus tip...

hth

Thank You for your reply!

I was studding the storing luggage possibility...(this is all new for me!:o)I'll have a "travel reunion" with my friends to decide what will we do with our time, schedulle and...money...lol...:)

I'm trying to think of something creative for you to do when you disembark. For the last folks who had this issue we suggested going to Newark Airport, renting a car (you would need a large car for 4 people and luggage), and driving to Liberty State Park in Jersey City to go to Ellis Island and/or the Statue of Liberty. If you really need to go back to NY, you could park the car at Journal Square, Grove St. or Exchange Place in Jersey City and take Path into NY. The cheapest way I can think of to do this is to have one person self-disembark and take a shuttle to Newark Airport and a shuttle to the car rental ($15). Rent the large car ($125) and come back to pick everyone up at the port. Then there are tolls, parking, and transportation to NY.

Another option is to bite the bullet and do the public transit thing - cab to the light rail station in Bayonne - $8 + good tip. Light rail to Hoboken - $1.95/pp. Path to 33rd St. - $1.75/pp. Cab to the luggage storage - $10-$15. Pay $7-$10/bag. Schwartz Travel is on 36th St between 8th & 9th Ave - you might be able to walk to Port Authority at 40th St to catch a bus back to Newark Airport - $15/pp. Or just arrange for a car service back to Newark.

It sounds like a lot of hassle, but it might be worth it to you to not sit around the airport all day waiting for your plane. Bottom line is that you are spending 5 days in NY and then going on a 5 day cruise to Bermuda in June when the weather should be warm - I would pack very light. This will make your lives much easier. You can find a place to wash your clothes before you go on the cruise. Don't be intimidated by the formal night on the Explorer. The ladies can get away with a nice dress (no formal gown) and the men could get away with a shirt, tie, and nice slacks (no tux).

Well...I must confess that we never pack light (shame on me):o ... wherever we go...

I'm starting to be a little disapointed with the disembark day...I thought that it would be easier (and cheaper)...And I don't want to spend +- 10 hours siting in the airport in my last vacation day :( ...well, thank you all for your help and informations ;) When we find a plan we will let you know;)

Hi,

Thank you for your help!

My sister and I will be arriving on April 25th (Sunday) on the Summit and need to get to the Newark Amtrak Station to catch a 11:22 am train south.

What do you feel would be the best and/or least expensive transportation options for us?

Thanks again!

Sandi:)

Cab is your best option - about $45-$50 to Newark Penn Station. There is a public transit option - cab to the light rail at 34th St. in Bayonne - change at Exchange Place in Jersey City for Path to Newark Penn Station. This would be $8 + tip for the cab, $1.95/pp for the light rail, and $1.75/pp for Path.

Cab is your best option - about $45-$50 to Newark Penn Station. There is a public transit option - cab to the light rail at 34th St. in Bayonne - change at Exchange Place in Jersey City for Path to Newark Penn Station. This would be $8 + tip for the cab, $1.95/pp for the light rail, and $1.75/pp for Path.

Thanks again...good info!

OK - you seem to be doing a repositioning cruise arriving on Sunday, April 25. Sunday is a really good day to get around the NY metro area. Car rentals are more reasonable as well. If you self-disembark (7:30-8:30 am) you can take a shuttle to Newark Airport for $15/pp. This should let you off at P4 where you can pick up a rental car shuttle. Take a look at the map of Newark Airport to get an idea of how things work there. You would get on the NJ Turnpike and follow the signs to exits 14A, 14B, & 14C. Liberty State Park is exit 14B - about 20-25 minutes from the airport. They have a web site as well. There are two parking choices - free parking and a shuttle bus to the boat for $1.35 exact change or $5 commuter parking near the pier. I've never done this - I would call to see what they recommend. The commuter parking (assuming it's open) should be available early on a Sunday morning. You can make a reservation to go to the SOL (various levels of access) or you can just show up. Coming back you just do the reverse. You should have plenty of time to do all this and get back for a 6:30 flight.

138East - Thank you so much - this info willo make it happen!

Glad to be of help. Go for it. Meg had an excellent point about using the monorail to get to the rental cars. Just be sure you rent from a company that is on the monorail. I wish I could say I had done all this and give you the details about parking at Liberty State Park, but you should be able to research that on your own. The only thing I'm sure about is the need for exact change if you use the shuttle bus. I do know that the access to Ellis Island and SOL is supposed to be much easier from NJ than from NY in terms of the crowds.

Carol

Meg, Carol or any Bayonnettes! (Ok sexist, Bayonnedudes too :) )

I have been searching the net like crazy. Do you know who does the Port Liberty hiring for the RCCL and Celebrity terminal? Specifically for customer/concierge service, or check in? I also checked the RCCL job site and there was not one thing for Bayonne or any other RCCL port, just shipboard jobs and in Miami.

I recently lost my job, and since I cruise as much as I can, I thought this might be fun. Thanks for your kind advice and assistance.

Meg, Carol or any Bayonnettes! (Ok sexist, Bayonnedudes too :) )

I have been searching the net like crazy. Do you know who does the Port Liberty hiring for the RCCL and Celebrity terminal? Specifically for customer/concierge service, or check in? I also checked the RCCL job site and there was not one thing for Bayonne or any other RCCL port, just shipboard jobs and in Miami.

I recently lost my job, and since I cruise as much as I can, I thought this might be fun. Thanks for your kind advice and assistance.

it is NOT run by rccl..it is run by some port managing company thinggie...and the people there work in NYC and/or Brooklyn too....

not 100% sure by try this...google is your friend if you dont get too specific...i actually got THAT by finding PANYNJ stuff and clicking.....took all of .30 seconds! heeheehee

http://www.portsamerica.com/

if they don't actually employ the workers, they probably know who to call! good luck

We are booked on the Celebrity cruise which arrives Sunday April25th at 7 a.m.

We live in Albany, NY ( recent transplants from the midwest) so we want to get to NY Penn station to catch Amtrak back to Albany after the cruise.

We have no problem with the Path train in theory, but are concerned about dealing with too many "unknowns" at the end of our cruise and are wondering if we should just reserve a car service.

Can you outline for me the "public transport" option to get from the cruise port to NY Penn? I hate to spend $100 on a car unless it is really inconvenient and/or complicated to use the train-as we generally find train travel to be easy.

That being said, any recommendations for a car service? (we have used Dial7 and Carmlimo wrong spelling in NYC and find them to be OK, but not sure about using them in NJ).

Thanks for all you do!

Kath

Archived