Calling a Ship at Sea

mikjr

We leave Sunday on a two week cruise to Hawaii.

I have a 92 year old father... he is in good health, but I know it would make him feel better if he has a contact number for me. Even at 92, he worries about his little boy (who is 61)!

So, I wanted to leave an emergency telephone number with my son. the only one I find for ship's at sea is a 900 number. I assume there is a charge.

Has anyone ever had to use the number or received a call while at sea? How much does it cost?

People do this all the time - and primarily for the same reason you are; family emergencies.

That 900 code number is a most likely a sea area code.

If it is, the cost to the caller will be somewhere between $10 and $20 per minute, depending on where thay are calling from and which carrier they are using.

But your ship more than likely has a cell tower that allows American cell phone users to make and receive calls at a much lower rate. Why not use that as Plan A and instruct your family to consider the 900 call as Plan B?

Internet email can always be Plan C.

People do this all the time - and primarily for the same reason you are; family emergencies.

That 900 code number is a most likely a sea area code.

If it is, the cost to the caller will be somewhere between $10 and $20 per minute, depending on where thay are calling from and which carrier they are using.

But your ship more than likely has a cell tower that allows American cell phone users to make and receive calls at a much lower rate. Why not use that as Plan A and instruct your family to consider the 900 call as Plan B?

Internet email can always be Plan C.

Wow... I had no idea the 900 numbers would be that pricey! I will have my cell phone with me, so that may be the way to go.

Yes. I'm an IT guy by trade, and work for a small company, so I am the only technical person. Several months before my cruise, everything running great. The day our cruise leaves port, and our building loses power for 4 hours and nothing works when power is restored.

I had left the 900 number with a co-worker and we ended up on the phone for a couple of hours spread over 2-3 phone calls. I think my onboard charges were around $300 for phone calls.

So, the answer is that it does work, and there is a charge, just not sure if it's a per minute or some other calculation. I was thinking it was around $5/minute, but that might not be right. I believe it states the charge in the services book in your room.

Mike

Wow... I had no idea the 900 numbers would be that pricey! I will have my cell phone with me, so that may be the way to go.

When the ship is at sea and the Golden has its cell service activated it will show as MCP on your phone. About $2.49 per minute for AT&T when we use it. But beware it is not always activated.

When the ship is at sea and the Golden has its cell service activated it will show as MCP on your phone. About $2.49 per minute for AT&T when we use it. But beware it is not always activated.
True. Also, if the OP has AT&T, I'd recommend getting the World Traveler for $5.99/month. This allows you to use your phone anywhere at a reduced rate. If you add it just before you leave and cancel it several days after you return, it'll be pro-rated.

I also wanted to leave an emergency number when we leave on our cruise next week so I called Princess about this today. The charge is $8.95 per minute

Have a great cruise:)

$8.95 per minute is the price from a land line in the USA.

Other countries will be different; some higher, some lower.

Mobile telephones calling the ship will usually also have a different rate.

We will in the East Caribean on the Star in April. When I called verizon to rent a global cel phone which alot of people recommended, verizon said alot of cellphones work in the u.s. They were able to pull up the Star's itineray and told me what ports my cell phone would and would not work (which was only Grand Turk) He also me told the charges of using your phone in different ports. If you use your cell phone on the ship the rate is 2.99/min. if you use it for example on St. Thomas the charge was 1.99/min. They even emailed all the info to me and how to actually dial from each port. Just remember to have them turn on the international roaming on your phone (no charge to do this),

Archived